• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Direct from the horse's .......mouth aka ask the chair

National Rally Security?

Hi Mike,

Thanx for the site map--it gives me an idea about the layout of the Rally. I still have some questions though:
1. How are we going to handle the campsite security? All the previous Nationals were held in one location, with one fence around the Rally. Security was not too hard since we had pretty good control on who went in+out. Heck, among fellow Beemer riders, I never worried about taking my keys out of the ignition or about the safety of my gear in the tent. I still don't worry about my fellow BMW riders, but it would seem that I will have to worry about a lot of other types of folks that will be able to be around our Rally sites. Three different camping areas,the Civic Center vendors/shoppers, and the attached parking areas--thats a lot of area to keep track of. Local riff-raff could have a lot of "collectables" to choose from at our Rally. That's one problem that I have with a Urban Rally........
2. Another concern is about the BeerTent and transportation. I like to drink my beer, but I have learned that I cannot ride after drinking my beers. The one-site rallys really don't have as big a problem with "affected" riders since nearly all of them are camping @ the Rally and as long as Security helped them to their tent, everything was OK (except for the following morning). We are going to have a lot of busses/trams/wagons to provide safe transit to our participants, and I wonder how we can keep some of our fellow BMW from making a big mistake. This worries me, because I have discovered in my 29 years of Rally fun (15 Nationals) that a lot of Rally-goers use the National Rally as their one chance to "blow it out" for the year. Away from home, away from people that would know them in their non-bike life, away from responsibilites, significant others, and other anchors of the workday world. The party will go on, the trick is to get everybody through it.
3. Who would we need to get in touch with if a group of BMW riders should ride up to Charleston to check things out around May? Several of us folks in NC might like to go up there and eyeball the site during one weekend. Any tips would be welcomed.

These are some of my concerns--I love going to the Nationals, but the BMW National Rally is a different type of national rally. Most of the people camp, there is a sense of community caused by the masses that are crammed together in a sea of tents. In a lot of ways, our Nationals are a bit like Woodstock-loose and somewhat disorganized, with a lot of people doing a lot of fun. Maybe that is why I look forward to the National: more like Woodstock than a bike show.

Michael Friedle

Hello Rev Willie,

Thanks for the questions. Here are some answers.

1) Security was a big concern of mine when assessing the potential of the Charleston rally site. As for the camping areas security: For the quiet and family area, there is only one entrance to the area. MOA security and Charleston police will control access. The area is about 20" below the adjacent road, which has no shoulder for people to pull over onto to stop or park. At the U of C, we will be using the main campus gate with security from MOA volunteers, campus police and the Charleston police. At the hilltop area, again there is only one way in or out so access can be easily controlled. Parking at the Civic Center is in attendant controlled parking structures, but there is a $3 charge per vehicle by local law. Across the street is the Charleston Town Mall with a six level parking structure. The Mall has given us the use of the entire 6th level, FREE, and will provide security for our bikes. You won't be able to get on or off the 6th level without showing a wristband. As for stuff in and about your tent, I would suggest taking the same precautions you might take when camping at a KOA or a state park. Keep your valuables inside your tent, out of sight. Charleston has the lowest crime rate in the nation for a city of it's size. Contrary to some people's speculation, it is not populated by the cast of "Deliverence". :)

2) A lot has already been written in this Forum and in the ON about the free evening shuttle buses to provide for those who would like to share a few beers with their friends, but not have to ride their bikes. If you are really worried about it, then just set up your tent at the U of C where the walk to the Beer Tent will be short.

3) If you plan on visiting Charleston prior to the Rally, I would suggest stopping into the Charleston Convention and Visitors Bureau office in the lobby of the Civic Center. They are open during normal business hours. Very helpful people.

The MOA Rally staff of volunteers work very hard to ensure our International Rally will NOT be like Woodstock. If you think Woodstock was a fun time, you obviously weren't there. It wasn't really like the movie or Joni Mitchell's song. The music was fantastic, if you could hear it, but the rest of the experience was a hungry, chaotic, unfocused and muddy mess of human and vehicle traffic jams. Not exactly the sort of experience we are planning for in Charleston. :p

See you in July

:jawdrop

I look forward to getting to the rally. It should take only 30 minutes from NYC, driving safely, no less Would you post a list of places to stay near the rally site. Also any scenic routes would also be great. Thanks.

Lonewolf

National Rally Security

Thank you for the reply Mike!

-It does sound like the family camping/quiet zone and the hilltop camping areas will be pretty secure (one entrance/exit helps a lot). Still wondering about the U of C camping area, but I'm sure that things will work out fine. Yes, I probably will stay at UC, but I will make sure that I am far enough away from the Airheads to get some sleep.

-My point about shuttle service is that we will need enough vehicles to provide efficient transportation for the rallygoers, and we will need that service to continue until the wee hours of the night. If the last shuttle leaves at 1 AM, I think that you might leave a significant number of folks stranded at U of C. I guess that a 2 AM cut-off might work OK.

-The reference to Woodstock was more symbolic than realistic. Our rallys usually ARE "gatherings of peace and love", not chaos and misery. Of course, I have been at some rallys that resemble the real Woodstock (the Loretta Lynn National in '81 comes somewhat to mind [dry-not wet],along with some Daytona experiences). We all want a gathering of friends at this National, and I think that you and all the other Chairs are working real hard to make this one a winner. I look forward to being one of the volunteers at this Rally, and making my#16 one of the best Nationals in MOA history. Right now, my favorites are: #1 Redmond(2001)/#2 York(1989)/#3 Shreve(1982)
:clap

New qusetion(maybe):

What will be the registration set-up at the rally? I saw in another thread, on non-member attendance, that the main rally registration will be at the Civic Center. I plan on camping at UC, and will arrive somewhere around 8p.m. on Fri. night. Will registration at the Civic Center be closed? What is the procedure for getting into the camping area at UC? Does my late arrival mean I will need to pre-register as opposed to registering when I get there (yeah I know I'll save $5 by pre-registering)? Simply put, I'm coming to the dance late and want to get in. What do I have to do?
BTW, I am familiar(but not all-knowing) with the layout of Charleston, so I know all of the stuff is pretty close together.

Gar

After Hours Arrival

The usual procedure for those campers who arrive after the Registration area is closed for the night is as follows.

We will permit you to enter the camping area and set up your tent for the night without a wrist band. The next morning when you leave the camp area, you must go to Registration to get your wristband to be permitted back onto the camp ground to get back to your tent or to attend any of the Rally events.

Don't worry, we won't make you camp on the sidewalk outside the Civic Center if you don't get to Registration in time.

:)

Rally registration hours

Wednesday, for Rally volunteer workers, 2-5 pm

Thursday and Friday, for all attendees, 8am-8pm

Saturday, for all attendees, 8am-5pm

Quiet and Family Campsites

This will be my first national BMW Rally. Dumb questions follow...

- Are the Quiet and the Family campsites separate? (I know some families that are NOT quiet!)

- Is there a sign-up sheet for campsites, or is it first-come first-served?

- Are there maps of the campsites available?

- Are there laundry facilites provided or nearby?

Ed Bianchi

There is a quiet camping area that tends to be the family area. There is no designated family area.

There are no maps of the campground itself. It is a very large open area.

There are no campsites as in a commercial campground. There is open space; set up your tent, and that is your area. Reservations: nope; it is first come first served. There is plenty of open space.

Commercial lanudry facilities are availble in the local community.

Josh Ascher
Rally Co-Chair

Rally Parking

I read Ray's update and I'm confused about parking. It says parking is at the mall.

Will motorcycle parking be allowed next to my tent while I camp at the University of Charleston?

Rally parking

There will be free parking at the Mall across the street from the Civic Center for you to use when attending the seminars or looking at the vendors at the Civic Center.

When camping at the U of C you must park your bike in the paved parking lots, not on the grass next to your tent.

Is there a shady side to this thing?

None of the pictures I've seen so far have anything I would consider appreciable shade, yet the comment has been made that there is plenty of it. So the question of the day is: "Where?" As an addendum to that question, is any of it in the quiet area?

U of C shade

Most of the pictures of the U of C have shown the Riverview lawn adjacent to the Kanawha River where there are only a few shade trees. On the other side of the row of classroom buildings there are many shade trees.

At the quiet area there are a few shade trees. It is more open than the U of C, but closer to the action at the Civic Center, and also on the River.

Your choice.

Vendors

ThereÔÇÖs always allot of ads in "ON" magazine for items that I would like to get for my bike. I see that there will be approximately 100 vendors at the rally, IÔÇÖve been holding off on buying some of the products out of the magazine because I "think" the vendor might be at the rally and I will be able to save some shipping cost and see the items up close before I buy. Is there any magical list of vendors that you guys have that you can post here so that we can see what vendors are at least "planning" on being at the rally.
THANKS
Rusty

List of Rally Vendors

At this time our hardworking Commercial vendor Committee Chair is hard at work trying to best fit all the vendors inot the available space at the Civic Center.

Once that task is finished, we hope to be able to post the list of vendors to the Rally 2003 web pages, although commercial vendors will be added to the list right up to opening day, if past years are any indication.

Pay off those outstanding credit card balances before the Rally. :)

THANKS

Thanks Mike,
I see IÔÇÖm not registered but I am a member. Just wanted to make sure that you know that I appreciate all the hard work you guys and galls are putting into this. I have been lurking for some time on this board and others and itÔÇÖs great to see this forum and you answering all the good questions that have been coming up. I canÔÇÖt commit to coming to the rally until the last minute due to my job but I really hope to see you there, and I hope all the rain will stop, us folks on the east coast have really been getting it this year
Rusty

Dealers

Just in case, are there reputable BMW dealers near the National if we need service? John

Parking at Campground

If you can't park your bike next to your tent does that mean you can't ride your bike to your camp location to unload your tent and supplies? If that is so it will be a real turnoff. This not parking your bike by the tent is a real bummer - my campling usually involves leaving some of my stuff on the bike right near the tent.
Further, I can't picture carrying all my stuff a quarter mile or so from the parking lot?????????:confused:

Back