Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Oil filters for less $$$ (K75/100/?)

Rally Rat
    Also, Fram filters were specifically not allowed for the Cummings diesels used in Dodge trucks, they had under piston cooling jets. The fram would shed particles that would plug the jet, and the result was engine failure not covered by warranty. So there are 2 cases of fram failures. There is a TSB form Dodge on it, sometimes it is on line, but gets removed as copyright rules demand.

Fram used be be made in Nevada, MO and used to be very good. After they were bought by Allied Signal they were managed for maximum profit. Meaning the Nevada plant was closed, and every thing made where it can be bought the cheapest. Lots of people out of work as is normal for the USA now.

IMHO, you are paying for a name. Kinda like BMW maybe????

Rod

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudbug View Post
    The oil filter for the K75, K100, and K1100 models are enclosed in a bath of oil. For that reason, I would avoid using any filter that is coated with black grip stuff that could be removed by sitting in that bath of hot oil for long periods of time.

I would avoid any filter that looks like this -

I can confirm that the black stuff comes off and makes a mess.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    I can confirm that the black stuff comes off and makes a mess.
    The new Purolator Pure Ones have a similar grip but the entire filter is coated with it
    Edde
    93 K75s
    www.motoedde.com

kayseventyfive
    Quote Originally Posted by motoedde View Post
    The new Purolator Pure Ones have a similar grip but the entire filter is coated with it
    Oh OH! I wonder if they have been outsourced to China like their lesser filters.

This is what the new Purolator Pure Ones look like...the textured paint is similar to the Fram...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H7XJNQ/...SIN=B000H7XJNQ
    Edde
    93 K75s
    www.motoedde.com