• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil filters for less $$$ (K75/100/?)

CaptDistraction

I just wanted to pass on something that will hopefully benefit others. The Fram PH6063 oil filter is just about identical to the BMW oil filter for K bikes according to my reading of the IBMWR parts substitution page. That filter may be had at www.partsamerica.com for $8.49 which is about half the price of the filter from BMW. To maintain that price advantage, you need to order at least six filters. This bumps you up over $50 for your order total and gets you free shipping. So get six for yourself and be set for several years of riding or go in with a buddy or two and be set for the year. Mine arrived today and they look just like the BMW filter that I bought the last time I had to do an oil change.

Please be sure to confirm the application for your bike, and just so I don't get into any trouble, I am not making any claims despite the obvious and substitute parts at your own risk (and I have no financial relationship with PartsAmerica).

Cheers,

David

CaptDistraction said:
I just wanted to pass on something that will hopefully benefit others. The Fram PH6063 oil filter is just about identical to the BMW oil filter for K bikes according to my reading of the IBMWR parts substitution page. That filter may be had at www.partsamerica.com for $8.49 which is about half the price of the filter from BMW. To maintain that price advantage, you need to order at least six filters. This bumps you up over $50 for your order total and gets you free shipping. So get six for yourself and be set for several years of riding or go in with a buddy or two and be set for the year. Mine arrived today and they look just like the BMW filter that I bought the last time I had to do an oil change.

Please be sure to confirm the application for your bike, and just so I don't get into any trouble, I am not making any claims despite the obvious and substitute parts at your own risk (and I have no financial relationship with PartsAmerica).
Cheers,

David

They were the exact filter, no paint on the metal, made in Austria at one time. Then for awhile they were painted black and made in Italy. I didn't have a local dealer back then and would have bought them in a minute if they were in fact the same manufacturer. Good to hear.

The STP S3614 has been working fine for me, available at Autozone for about $3. Just have to peel off the sticker. I went to this from the Fram 3614 when they started putting that black grip stuff on their auto filters.

Hi, David (CaptDistraction),
The first Fram 6063 I bought was, in fact, identical to the OEM filter, made in Austria, without the BMW logo. It was a Mahle OC-91. The next one I bought, also a Fram 6063, was painted black and made in Italy. It looked nothing like the OEM filter. And, knowing what I know about Fram automotive filters, I don't trust it since it is no longer made by the OEM manufacturer. I don't want to risk my K1100LT or Harriet's K75A/3 to a filter held together with string and cardboard. So I haven't used the Fram 6063 for years and don't plan to, unless they go back to repackaging the Mahle OC-91, the OEM filter.

What is it you know about Fram filters that makes them so bad? That is a rather common brand and I don't see tons of vehicles self destructing on the road from Fram filters. There aren't that many manufacturers of filters period.

Motorman said:
What is it you know about Fram filters that makes them so bad? That is a rather common brand and I don't see tons of vehicles self destructing on the road from Fram filters. There aren't that many manufacturers of filters period.

That's the funny thing about oil filters. If they don't leak on the drive or bust open or something, you have no idea if they are doing anything like filtering. There are some filter tests which show a pretty shoddy construction for Frams. I don't remember where...Google it...but again, the filtering test if there was one would be the real test. You know, like microns and stuff.

Fram also makes a motorcycle-specific filter for the K-bike that you can get at checker/schucks/kragen stores. It's a little less expensive than the BMW filter, but IMO the BMW filters aren't that expensive and when I go to Iron Horse I get all the seals I need for the oil change with the filter as a kit.

JQ

cjack said:
That's the funny thing about oil filters. If they don't leak on the drive or bust open or something, you have no idea if they are doing anything like filtering. There are some filter tests which show a pretty shoddy construction for Frams. I don't remember where...Google it...but again, the filtering test if there was one would be the real test. You know, like microns and stuff.

Try this link

Some folks are just too "Value Driven"! If you want to save some money, stop changing (wasting a precious resource) oil at 3k miles, run it to 6k like BMW recommends for the newer bikes. :stick

Bobmws said:
Some folks are just too "Value Driven"! If you want to save some money, stop changing (wasting a precious resource) oil at 3k miles, run it to 6k like BMW recommends for the newer bikes. :stick

Bingo. I've been using the 6K interval for a few years now. By spending half as much on oil, I can spend the full boat on a filter.

KBasa said:
Bingo. I've been using the 6K interval for a few years now. By spending half as much on oil, I can spend the full boat on a filter.

Or you can do what some of us (mostly) who have turned to the Dark Side do, which is use pure synthetic oil (Mobil 1 15w50 in my case) and change oil and filter every 10k miles or annually, whichever comes first! I did it with my '96 K1100LT (got 122k out of it before I sold it) and will do it to my '95 K1100LT as soon as it hits 20k miles. (It had 4833 miles on it when I bought it last year.)

Gotta agree with Phil. Have the DATA to back it up - had my oil tested last time I changed it at 6,000 miles. It was in fine condition and easily good for 10,000 miles. I'm doing it this year at 8,000 since that's the miles since I did it a year ago (shameful - but it's been one of those years..)

3,000 mile oil changes are a real waste of oil, time and oil filters.

Could someone post the BMW oil filter part # please.
I am wondering if the NEW "K" bike uses the same oil filter?
Thanks.
Dave

RTdavey said:
Could someone post the BMW oil filter part # please.
I am wondering if the NEW "K" bike uses the same oil filter?
Thanks.
Dave

The filter that originated on the K bikes in 1985 is #11 42 1 460 845. The new K engine is using #11 42 7 673 541. It is smaller in general and uses a different filter tool.

cjack said:
The filter that originated on the K bikes in 1985 is #11 42 1 460 845. The new K engine is using #11 42 7 673 541. It is smaller in general and uses a different filter tool.

cjack -
Thanks.
Do you have any aftermarket filter numbers for the new "K" bike???
The filter tool I bought from NAPA; but I would like to cross the filter over to a Purolater Pure One filter.
Thanks, again.

Fram Oil Filters Recalled
About a week ago, Less Criess who works for the Washington Motorcycle Road Racing Association (WMRRA), wrote that, although they hadn't had any problems with FRAM oil filters, a hot rumor said that some FRAM models were being recalled: "At our practice and race days this past weekend (April 16-17) we found NO suspect FRAM 6017 filters. It was a pain pulling fairing lowers and checking all the bikes that might have had them (FRAM 6017 fit Honda CBR600F2s and F3s as well as Yamaha Seca IIs) but it was well worth the effort just to be sure!"
We got the run-around for a few days while trying to verify this, until today (April 20th) when FRAM sent out the following admission:

Safety Recall
FRAM PH6017 Motorcycle Filters

To All Customers:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the
National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. (Gee, FRAM, it's a bit
late to try and cover your ass.)

Allied-Signal Automotive Aftermarket, marketers of FRAM oil filters, has
determined that a defect which relates to motorcycle safety exists on
certain FRAM motorcycle oil filters. This effects the FRAM PH6017 oil
filter purchased from Allied-Signal between January 1, 1995 and March 16,
1995, The filter has "Made in Korea" printed in silver letters following
the Allied-Signal address on the side of the filter.

The PH6017, produced in Korea, is being recalled for thread problems
which could affect installation resulting in the filter blowing off in
service.

To correct this condition, all PH6017 oil filters marked "Made in Korea"
should be returned to the dealer for immediate credit. All dealers
should return the filter to:

Attention: Joyce Cole - RC195
AlliedSignal Automotive Aftermarket/Bemis
105 South Missouri Street
Jackson, TN 38301

For PH6017 filters that have been dealer installed, all service and
required parts as described in this letter will be provided free of
charge.

The work will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. However,
additional time may be required depending on how dealer appointments are
scheduled and processed. To obtain this free service, contact your
dealer as soon as possible to schedule an appointment.

If you have any problem obtaining the needed repair, please contact
AlliedSignal directly at 1-800-468-904. An AlliedSignal representative
will arrange for prompt attention to your vehicle.

We regret any inconvenience which this action may cause you. However, we
are concerned about your safety. If your dealer fails or is unable to
remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you may
submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20590,
or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

Is this an honest mistake or are they pinching pennies at our expense? We think it's the latter, so: Shame on you, FRAM, for trying to cut costs and utilizing cheap labor to make an extra buck or 10,000. And we'd be really pissed if the "Made in Korea" was actually "Made in North Korea," though that's not very likely. Don't be pinching pennies and jeopardizing motorcycle riders' lives anymore.
Thanks to Tedd Speck for typing in the FRAM press release.

There is a reason FRAM oil filters are cheap: They are cheeeeeeep.

Here's the LAST oil filter you'll ever need to buy.

dlearl476 said:
There is a reason FRAM oil filters are cheap: They are cheeeeeeep.

Here's the LAST oil filter you'll ever need to buy.

Read this Oil Filters and see why you would never buy one. Holes are just too darn big to filter out a lot of junk.

David,

So on the basis of one recall of one model oil fiter in a line up of quite a few if not well over 100, you fault the entire company. Gee what will you do if there is a recall of a BMW component?

The people that spend their spare time dissecting and examining all of the little parts of oil filters say great things about the Purolator PureONE filters, $5.49 each at Amazon.com. Unfortunately, they're on back order :(

Back