• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New K 1200 GT Color

RTdavey

I am inches away from trading in my '04 RT for a new GT.
The dealer says the only color he has is one in Crystal Grey that looks like creme?

Anybody have any input on this?
I am 2 hrs. from the dealer, so its not like I can zip over for a look.
Is it uncommon for a dealer to buy a bike from a different dealer?
Thanks.

It doesn't look cream in person. It looks like bright silver in the sun.

The other colors are Deep Blue Metallic and Graphite Metallic.

Crystal Grey Metallic -- depending on the angle of the light, it can go from a light bronze to a bright silver.
JeffsGT.jpg

GT colour

Davey:

If you're that close, why not put a hold on it with a small deposit, and make the purchase subject to your approval of the colour (and maybe subject to a satisfactory test ride) by a certain time. Those GT's are moving fast, and you don't want to get it scooped out from under you.

It looks like a gorgeous colour, and rare too.

Rinty

Well, that certaintly looks better than the brochure!
Is that the sweetest looking ride or what?
Gonna be hard sleeping tonight!
Thanks for the input guys.
I think I will have to talk to the moderator about changing to GTdavey after tommorrow.

The dealer in Anchorage is holding a crystal grey one for me. We should complete the deal by the weekend. It was one of two that he was allocated far this year and he traded the other one with another dealer for a 12GS, which he promply sold.

Needless to say, I can hardly keep my composure. Even my wife is excited but not nearly as much as me.

I'm grinning like a mule eating briars. :D

Well, I have been busy the last 24 hrs.
Found out the color is better than it looks!
Also found out some other things that have me concerned, really concerned.

#1) Jerky on/off throttle
What the hell is this? A new motor with a different
mutation of SURGING? (supposedly, a "software upgrade" takes care of
this.... sweet.)
#2) "Buzzing" in the handlebars/grips
Great; here I thought only twins vibrate/buzz like that.
#3) Seat still sucks and needs replacement
Lovely; another $600.00 added to the bill of this newest machine.
#4) And then there is this "backlash tranny/drive thing"
You gotta be kiddin me! Try looking at the pics @ K-bikes.com
of the gearbox with a few miles on it, and the rider was complaining
to the dealer about said "backlash" ????????????????????

Beautifull.
Thanks fellas for all your input.
I have spent about 4.5 hrs. reading reports, e-mails ect.
I pulled the plug on the GT.
I think I will wait a year or so and try again.
Me and My RT.

RTdavey said:
Well, I have been busy the last 24 hrs.
Found out the color is better than it looks!
Also found out some other things that have me concerned, really concerned.

#1) Jerky on/off throttle
What the hell is this? A new motor with a different
mutation of SURGING? (supposedly, a "software upgrade" takes care of
this.... sweet.)
#2) "Buzzing" in the handlebars/grips
Great; here I thought only twins vibrate/buzz like that.
#3) Seat still sucks and needs replacement
Lovely; another $600.00 added to the bill of this newest machine.
#4) And then there is this "backlash tranny/drive thing"
You gotta be kiddin me! Try looking at the pics @ K-bikes.com
of the gearbox with a few miles on it, and the rider was complaining
to the dealer about said "backlash" ????????????????????

Beautifull.
Thanks fellas for all your input.
I have spent about 4.5 hrs. reading reports, e-mails ect.
I pulled the plug on the GT.
I think I will wait a year or so and try again.
Me and My RT.

You're basing a decision on a single instance of a problem? Geez! Don't go over to the RT site at www.bmwrt.com or you might just scare yourself out of the R1200RT with all the ABS failures (including the massive recall of 90,000 bikes), clutch failures (which kept dealers from delivering bikes for nearly 2 months), and rear drive failures of that new sealed unit.

Wonderful k12

Just spent the week on a rented K1200 GT through the Alps. Sunshine to blizzards in the passes, autostada at 235 kph (with more to spare), to muddy hairpins. I never had so much fun. Love my R1200 RT, but this is another beast thats smooth as silk. I got one on oder, lucky me.

GP at Mugello was great, Hail Valentino!

Not on my test ride.

My test ride bike was so smooth, especially off from the start from first into second. Smooooth !

I had no complaints with the seat, but then I find my stock seat to be a comfortable fit for my body.

Buzz? Not on the K1200GT that I rode.

Backlasn tranny thing? I must have missed it.

Granted my ride was only about 50 minutes, both city and freeway, but it was one pleasurable ride. I'd like to win the K1200GT at Vermont.

You're basing a decision on a single instance of a problem? Geez! Don't go over to the RT site at www.bmwrt.com or you might just scare yourself out of the R1200RT with all the ABS failures (including the massive recall of 90,000 bikes), clutch failures (which kept dealers from delivering bikes for nearly 2 months), and rear drive failures of that new sealed unit.

No.
Not really.
I only sited the gearbox pics as a reality check about a customer who had noticed what "a number" of people are stating;
The tranny clunks, grinds, shifts hard ect.
This is just one of the numerous items that this bike has to work thru
before I lay down my hard earned cash for one.
That's all.
I still think the new GT is an awesome machine, no mistake about it.
But I live in the boonies, 2 hrs. from the closest dealer.
I am trying to keep my expected failures to a minimum.
Can you really fault a guy for that ???

RTdavey said:
I am inches away from trading in my '04 RT for a new GT.
The dealer says the only color he has is one in Crystal Grey that looks like creme?

Anybody have any input on this?
I am 2 hrs. from the dealer, so its not like I can zip over for a look.
Is it uncommon for a dealer to buy a bike from a different dealer?
Thanks.

Damn, what's it like to be close to a dealer? You only have to ride half as far as me.

eljeffe said:

:dunno

I've got a year on mine and haven't had a lick of trouble. It shares the garage with a few other bikes, so it's only got about 10K on it, but it's been running fine.

K 1200 Gt

...buzzing in the handlebars/grips...I thought only twins vibrate like that... RT Davey

RT:

The engine is an inline four, so it has an inherent vibration issue. In these engines, the outer pistons and the inner pistons rise and fall together, with the result that at half mast (halfway between top dead centre and bottom dead centre), the conrods are fully deflected from the vertical, resulting in the well known idle shake, and a certain amount of buzziness at r.p.m. To deal with that, Fred Lancashire invented the balance shaft in 1916, but it doesn't get rid of all the buzziness, nor does adding a second shaft. And different riders have different tolerances for vibration.
The only perfectly smooth running engines are V-12's and V-16's.

Rinty

rinty said:
RT:

The engine is an inline four, so it has an inherent vibration issue. In these engines, the outer pistons and the inner pistons rise and fall together, with the result that at half mast (halfway between top dead centre and bottom dead centre), the conrods are fully deflected from the vertical, resulting in the well known idle shake, and a certain amount of buzziness at r.p.m. To deal with that, Fred Lancashire invented the balance shaft in 1916, but it doesn't get rid of all the buzziness, nor does adding a second shaft. And different riders have different tolerances for vibration.
The only perfectly smooth running engines are V-12's and V-16's.

Rinty

Rinty -
Thanks for the detailed explanation.
I really wasn't trying to be derogatory on my comments about the GT, just as objective as I could be; $22,00.00 is alot of cash to me.
When I sited the vibration issue with the GT, it was in comparision to what I already own... the RT.
I've read even more about the GT in the last few days, and I still am convinced that waiting until the '07's make it out may be the best decision for ME.

One of the main reason's for me to buy the '04 RT new when I did over the GT at that time was, that after my research, I found that the R motor was going to be upgraded to the now R 1200.
I thought to myself, well this motor, (1150), is at the end of it's engineering cycle.
This was important for me because of all I had read about surging and things done to correct it in the R motor.
The new R 1200 was going to be new, brand new.

I really like the new GT, alot!
However, from what I can glean up to now, there are "bugs" to work out on these "introductory" models as I have been told that this is what they are.
The 1150 RT I own is about 12 yrs. old in terms of motor/design/engineering phase.
And as I stated above, the model I bought was at the end of it's engineering cycle. Those who have history of BMW bikes know BMW is prettty committed to listening to it;s customers, I have been ridding them for about 30 years.
I am confident, BMW will rectify the issues with the new K motor/bike, and year after year it will be refined until it reaches the end of it's engineering cycle...yes?

From what I understand, the new "K" motor is like 1 or 2 years old?
I have a bike that is pretty dog gone dependable right now. However, adj. valves and TB's is not my favorite pastime activity, I would rather be ridding :D
The thought of owning the new GT, with the idea of LESS maintanance needing to be performed, well, makes me damp!

I will own the new GT. Probably take the plunge next spring.
Until then, I will keep riding, and reading and talking to get myself and my brain ready for the next heaping of excitement from BMW.

Guess you could call this clarification. :type

Back