• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Retirement Ride

JWILLIS125911

In September I should have 20 days free for a motorcycle trip as I retire from the Army. I will be using a 2006 K1200GT.

I live in Northern Virginia and was generally planning a route from here through Michigian, across Wisc., Minn., etc., to the Wash., then down to San Diego, CA and back through Nev., Colo, Kansas, etc. to home.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am mostly planning to turn left when I feel like turning left and turning right when that suits so I am open to ideas.

Thanks for your time.

Steve

Boy that's a broad question. What kind of riding do you like? What kind of things do you like to do on the road?

If I were riding from WA to San Diego, I'd avoid I-5. I'd check out the Olympic Peninsula, ride the Oregon coast, and either 1 or 101 in California. Also a nice north-south road in CA is Highway 25 if you don't want to see Big Sur and Hearst Castle.

Nevada, US 50 can't be beat if you want to see how fast your bike can go, but 6 is nice too. Utah is gorgeous. Highway 12, Arches NP, loads more. Colorado, geez, where to start? My current favorite Colorado road is 141 between Naturita and Grand Junction. Breathtaking. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• CO141a.jpg
    CO141a.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Thanks to both of you.

For the trip as a hole, I am thinking of combining some long rides in with some purely scenic rides as the mood fits. Thank you Jerry for the routes - they were what I was seeking.

Steve

I don't know what's better: The 20 day trip or that new 1200GT. Got to finally sit on one this week. That bike is awesome !!

Anyhow here are a few favorite roads and spots from the last two summers not in any order and you may need to ride in reverse direction depending where you're coming from.

Hwy 95 from Blanding to Hanksville, UT and have gas on board.

Lassen National Forrest north of Truckee and west of Susanville in California. It's like another planet in there.

Route 3 from Enterprise, OR to Lewiston. Ride the "Rattle Snake". A warm up to riding Lolo Pass.

Lewiston, ID to Missoula on Route 12 "The Lolo Pass" It just doesn't get much better anywhere.

Glacier for sure. Everyone should get to be there at least once in a lifetime.

I had to skip Beartooth south of Red Lodge, WY last summer because it got wiped out last spring due to landslides, but it's now repaired. Top ten road for sure.

Hwy 550 from Durango to Ridgeway. The "Million Dollar Highway" and worth every penny.

287 from West Yellowstone north to I-90. Beautiful road and no traffic.

There's tons more west of the rockies.

Good luck and bring us back some photos.

A friend of mine did a State Capitol Tour. He hit the 49 continental states in 20 days. it was a little quick and not a whole lot of sight seeing, but he did have some fun. Plus as he said, it gave him a destination in every state and it was interesting to see the differences in the Capitol buildings and cities.

Back