• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Camping or Inning

Who's camping and who's staying in a motel/inn/b&b?

• I'm camping and bringing my own gear

Votes: 38 55.1%
  • I'm camping and using sherpa services

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I'm staying at a motel, b&b or inn

Votes: 26 37.7%
  • I'm staying with locals (friends/relatives)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • undecided or not applicable

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters

tessler

univers zero
I'm curious to know what the percentage is of people intending to camp vs. those who'll be staying in motels/inns/b&bs.

I'm still up in the air about camping at the rally. What are some of the pros and cons of either lodging scenario?

Paul and I will be camping.

Don't want to miss a minute of the fun!

And the weather should be grand for sleeping.

Voni
sMiling

You should start a poll. It will obviously be skewed since only a small percentage of rally goers come here.

We are staying in a Inn. Black Bear Inn specifically. We have rented out the Mountaintop Suite for the week. Pretty much a fully stocked house.
http://www.blkbearinn.com/luxury_suites.asp#mountain

Breakfast served every day and if you want they make dinner too. Or you can cook yourself if you are in their suites. They also have regular rooms that look above average as well. I am aware of several other reservations there by rallygoers. Don't know if they are fully booked or not. www.blkbearinn.com

We will be there past the rally enjoying the northeast kingdom so that is why we chose it.

Dad and I got a room in Lima as well. AC, shower, bed. Main perks there. Since we were on a quick turn around and a lot of long hours in the saddle we wanted really good nights sleep.

I camped plenty in the Army. I still love to camp, but this year I have in tow my daughter who will be 10 mos old at rally time. My mother...who won't be riding much and my wife who will ride once there, but someone has to bring my little girl. They are flying in and renting cage. So we are three bikes and a cage. Sister is the third bike. Except for me and my father, this will be a first for everyone else.

Brian

Camping at Carmi on Tuesday night, hotel the rest of the way.

I need a little space at the end of the day. :hide

Based on previous surveys, typically 60-65% of attendees camp while the other 30-35% will lodge off-site. We'll be posting Kbasa's room number and location on line as soon as it's available. Anyone wishing to stop by for a cool beverage will then know the parteee room!

Riding Like the Wind...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS
Knights of the Roundel #333

chasman said:
Based on previous surveys, typically 60-65% of attendees camp while the other 30-35% will lodge off-site. We'll be posting Kbasa's room number and location on line as soon as it's available. Anyone wishing to stop by for a cool beverage will then know the parteee room!
I'm liking the sound of this already.... :)

camping AND staying in the dorms at St. Michaels

i have the room reserved thurs/fri/sat, not sure when my arrival is and will be dictated by my volunteer load. after camping at lima last year i'd like to have the option to stay at the end of the night and party to the wee hours or rest myself on a comfy bed. for my girlfriend this may be her first rally and i'm sure she'd appreciate the room more than my eureka solitaire one person tent (no commments please) :stick :D

Although I won't be attending the National :violin :cry :cry , I found that camping at rallies is the best way to soak in all that's going on. There is always a quiet area for those light sleepers and earplugs work well too :kiss .
The camaraderie always amazes me while camping, regardless of being at a rally or just a (national) park. I understand that tenting isn't for everyone and the small New England B&B's are great too, but the tent thingie is really kewl.. :D :D

chasman said:

Riding Like the Wind...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS

Hey now, waidaminnit.....

:kbasa

:hide

If I remember right KBasa was in the same hotel as me last year.... it was fun.

I have enough points from travelling for work that I don't pay for hotel. Last couple of years I did both camp and hotel, it is fun to hang with people this year I will probably do the same. I am with Poobah on this one, at the end of the say I need my time....

BradfordBenn said:
If I remember right KBasa was in the same hotel as me last year.... it was fun.

I have enough points from travelling for work that I don't pay for hotel. Last couple of years I did both camp and hotel, it is fun to hang with people this year I will probably do the same. I am with Poobah on this one, at the end of the say I need my time....

I'll have my camping stuff with me, so I may put a tent up in case I manage to enjoy myself too much one night. :lol3

chasman said:

Riding Like the Wind...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS

Will there be a signup for the shower in the presidential suite?

Voni
sMiling

Statdawg said:
Cons : Remember West Virginia ? Rain , damp ground, and high wind destroyed some tents. Remember Lima ? High wind, and heavy rain on day one. Both rallys one had to deal with warm nights that may disrupt a sleep pattern. Depending on were you set up you will hear others snore, talk, or walk to public service's. Some people just like sitting around into the wee hours of the morning visiting. Kind alike sleeping as a child when the adults were still up. Since it is NOT your regular bed you might not sleep well. If you arrive late you may spend sometime looking for a space. In Lima I ended up on Main Street next to a port-a-john and 25 yards from the shower. That was great because I could see the lines. There was a Sheep Barn for emergency shelter. I used a bivy sack lodging the night before I left. The bike was packed except the bivy and me. The Lodge,B&B, and motel you would'nt deal with the aforementioned.

Pro: The adventure, raw life firsthand, self reliance which will stimulate ones ID or Ego, satisfaction that you can do this. For those that are on a budjet one can spend more on things you don't need at the Rally. Everything is right there. If you had too much beer tent you can make it to your spot and not worry about a DUI. Be careful some of the tent ropes can trip you. You meet interesting people pitched next to you. I had a couple from Ontario, two from Kentucky, and someone from Tenn. differant roads in life but one common thread, camping, and Beemer's. Please try camping, if you can't sleep you can always go home and do it or take a power nap prior to an event.
Great stuff. This is the kind of info I was hoping folks would provide. Thanks, Stat.

I've camped/backpacked in my 20s and 30s but mostly in places that had relative solitude and quiet: national park and small state park campgrounds, etc. The described rally scenario: crowds and space issues, potential adverse weather, etc. may not be for me (I kinda live in the middle of the noisiest place on Earth ;)). That's why I'm trying to get as much of a big picture as possible. Like Kbasa and Brad, I know I definitely like my space at the end of the day.

But I'm still up in the air. Remember, I'm new to riding; as a newbie, I have no experience with MC Camping; barely with packing and riding with personal effects and luggage. But I'm working on it. I bought the book "MC Camping Made Easy" am studying it intently and do intend to try it (but most probably in a smaller venue as opposed to a large national rally).

Camping is the way to go IMHO :thumb You won't need to pack cooking and food supplies as there will be plenty of that on site, and easy to access.
But, alas, for me, this year We will be motelling off site. This is because my wife will be with me, and that is her choice. We are staying at the T-Bird Motor Inn in Shelburne, just south of Burlington ( www.tbirdmotorinn.com) I know there are some other rally goers staying there as well.

Voni said:
Paul and I will be camping.

Don't want to miss a minute of the fun!

And the weather should be grand for sleeping.

Voni
sMiling

Hmmm. Last time I went to a National Rally in VT, the temp and the humidity were each 95. I quickly found a room across from the fairgrounds and a friend said I had the air turned up so far that you could hang meat in the room. The Green Mountains were obsecured by a heavy haze. Never saw them. Some friends found a road thru the country which crossed a creek and they went swimming. That same creek runs through Hurricane Mills, TN by the way.
But, this time will be different...

cjack said:
Hmmm. Last time I went to a National Rally in VT, the temp and the humidity were each 95. I quickly found a room across from the fairgrounds and a friend said I had the air turned up so far that you could hang meat in the room. The Green Mountains were obsecured by a heavy haze. Never saw them. Some friends found a road thru the country which crossed a creek and they went swimming. That same creek runs through Hurricane Mills, TN by the way.
But, this time will be different...

Oh, and I forgot, the guys from TEXAS bought fans and plugged them in by the grandstand next to their tents...

tessler said:
But I'm still up in the air. Remember, I'm new to riding; as a newbie, I have no experience with MC Camping; barely with packing and riding with personal effects and luggage. But I'm working on it. I bought the book "MC Camping Made Easy" am studying it intently and do intend to try it (but most probably in a smaller venue as opposed to a large national rally).

Actually having done both, I think that at the national, more people will be there to help if you need it. Plus with all the vendors you can purchase what you forgot. There is also a shipping solution if you realized you brought too much.

Don't forget to check out the camping info on the main MOA site. http://www.bmwmoa.org/camping/camping.htm

Thanks to Visian for getting that section started.

I've lived here in the hills of Vermont for many a year. Weather will vary from 50s-90s, from brilliant sun (let's hope) to deluge. But the mountain roads make it all worthwhile. For those seeking a getaway, I can offer tent space just north of Montpelier. It's within an hour to the suburbs of Essex, where rally will occur. I also have tent space on wilderness pond in the Northeast Kingdom (1.5 hours to rally) with wood-fired hot tub and primitive facilities. If anyone wants luxury (read: shower) I have a nice new apartment here in worcester, with pastoral views and nearby swimming hole for modest fee. Fully stocked workshop for fluid changes, repairs. ping me for details. Can also suggest riding routes in northern Vermont. chrisowenvt@yahoo.com

Back