• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My-Cast Weather or Weather Scout?

Boingo

Comfortably road numb
Has anyone here used either My-Cast Weather or Weather Scout on their mobile phone?

http://www.digitalcyclone.com/mobile.html

https://secure.my-cast.com/weatherscout.jsp

four.weatherscout.screens.1.gif

The hype: Real-time looping radar with 3 zoom levels, infrared and visible satellite imagery, hourly and 7 day forecasts, panable weather map.

i've been using mycast for about 18 months now. i freakin love it. it saved my bacon on several trips.

I would, but I am in device hell. I have a kick-butt web phone but Cingular does not support it for services like this, only lower-end phones.

It's a lot cheaper than the XM service that works with Garmin GPS... and while it doesn't give you as much information, you get what you need.

So I live with the mobile service from weather.com... you get radar images, but not as nice as the my-cast.

Ian

Thanks for the replies.

Username, how heavy is mycast on the download KB/MB (just looking for a ballpark estimate)?

My phone is too low tech for Weather.gov, but Yahoo Mobile has weather. If mycast is a bandwidth hog, I just may be stick with that.

Boingo said:
Thanks for the replies.

Username, how heavy is mycast on the download KB/MB (just looking for a ballpark estimate)?

My phone is too low tech for Weather.gov, but Yahoo Mobile has weather. If mycast is a bandwidth hog, I just may be stick with that.

i just did my most typical activity: i loaded the radar (in motion) for austin. it's pretty zoomed out, i could see the rain they were getting down in houston. so i did what i always do, i hit "zoom in." it zoomed in on travis county, and showed my the radar (in motion.)

23.3kB

pretty slick.

i use a motorola razr phone with it and have the app shortcutted. before a long trip i add locations along the way, and can rapidly pull up the radar for where i am. the "in motion" function rocks because it allows me to compare the rain with my direction of travel. this is super useful when dodging thunderstorms and deciding when to take cover.

like i said, i'm a big fan.

Back