• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recomendations requested

MOTORMAN

Retired and proud of it
I am thinking of switching bikes. I currently have a K75RT and while it rides nice and I like the lighter weight I need a different riding position.

The position I like the most is the upright, no lean forward like I had with my old work bike style where I can ride with my arms bent at the elbows. (See avatar) I'd also like more HP and torque as we ride 2 up quite a bit. I definately am looking for a fairing bike with bags, either an RT or LT.

I have looked at a couple K1200 LT's and the seating position is very good (01 and 02 models) but they are still pretty pricey and I don't need all the bells and whistles that are on the 2 models I saw.

Here is them main question. Are there any year models I should avoid or peroblems I need to be aware of. I am familiar with the driveline spline issue that seems to plague all the K bikes. Are there others and particular year models to avoid?

Since I have had my K75 for over 10 years I haven't paid any attention to newer bikes so am very unfamilair with what has been going on with them.

Any input would be appreciated as I am looking to either get a used BMW or may have to leave the brand entirely to get an affordable bike that provides what we are looking for. Money is most definately an object as we are retired now and on a reduced income. I asked pretty much the same thing in the oilhead section as I am uncertain which model would best suit our needs.

Hi, Motorman,
I'm really happy with the K1100LT. I had one which I put 110k miles on, then bought another one last year (with only 4833 miles!). I like the position, the power, etc. My wife had a '95 K75RT for a while and I liked it, too, but the K1100 has considerably more power. And surprisingly, I got better fuel mileage with the K1100LT than I did with the K75RT. The K75RT ran fine with regular as did the K1100LT, but mid-grade is specified for the K1100LT. Good Luck in whichever you select.
Ride Safe,

Hi Motorman,
If you do a LOT of two-up riding the 1200LT is much more comfortable ofr the passenger. Driver comfort depends on your size.
If you ride solo I would probably look for an 1100LT.

The 1200LT is great two-up bike for the long hauls but is a handful in slow traffic, parking lots etc.

My $.02 worth

Back