• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A random Saturday spent riding around.

kbasa

So, I know this guy named Kirk. Look at this guy. Here he is Saturday, telling me some elaborate story involving a bunch of different KTMs he thinks he wants, his GS Adv and an F150. He's got them all swimming around in his head and can't figure out what he wants to do.

As if his Tuono, Mille, Futura and GS aren't enough.

805550-M.jpg

Cahm and seet down for a meeneeet....

So Sunday morning, I'm hanging around with these guys (the Montgomery Street Motorcycle Club, who are on their every-Sunday breakfast ride) and I see something ride by, with a familiar looking 'stich sitting on it. He looks a lot like a guy I know with a KTM problem.

814987-M.jpg

814988-M.jpg

Grrr.

After a bit, the MSMC guys and I ride up Lucas Valley Road. There weren't any cops out this morning, but we wind up going 35mph anyway. After about ten miles, the Montgomery Street guys go right and up to Occidental for breakfast and I go left to Pt. Reyes Station.

814946-M.jpg

When I pull up in front of the Bovine, there's kirk, with a new 950 Adventure.
814947-M.jpg

Bastard

814948-M.jpg

Double Bastard.

So I get some java, hang around for a bit and then make for home. MrsK is going to have high tea with some girly friends, and she's all dressed up and headed out when I get home.
815032-M.jpg

Buh-bye, baby.

To console myself after having watched kirk buy bikes willynilly and my wife taking off on me, I decide to get the Big White Bike out of the garage and head up to Sonoma County. It's got a new D220 on the back that needs to be scrubbed in. There's a road up there called Skaggs Springs Road and it's kind of locally famous.

814935-M.jpg

It's up in Sonoma County, which has at least as many vineyards as Napa, Napa just has a better publicist.
814934-M.jpg

It's a fun road that runs up and down some hills and is beautifully paved.
814939-M-1.jpg

814941-M-1.jpg

814942-M-1.jpg

814943-M-1.jpg

When I get down to the bridge that pretty much marks the end of the nice paving, there's a red Honda upside down and stuffed up behind a road sign.
814936-M.jpg

I sit around the bridge for a while with a couple other guys that happen by on various sport bikes. We sit in the shade, drink our water and shake our heads. Somebody got hurt.

We all feel like sort of sicko voyeurs. It's a bad scene and it screws with my head a little.

I finish my water, shrug my 'stich back up over my shoulders and saddle up. I ride home slowly, back over Skaggs Springs.
814945-M-1.jpg

OK. Maybe not TOO slow.

Dave,

Excellent short story and photos.

Thanks for sharing, nice to know that I am not the only one out there...

Regards

You are a great storyteller Dave, and you should post more, Please!!! Random rides are the best.

Off to the Beemer Bash in Quincy this weekend. Full report later.

And hey! Anybody with a digital camera can put up a little narrative like this. :D

You have your assignments, now get to work, class! Somebody must have taken some pictures at the Beemers in the Bluegrass, the Dells Rally or the Finger Lakes Rally.....

And yeah, Boxergrrlie's pictures were pretty cool.

Love than KTM

That KTM V-twin is great! I love the little plastic saddlebags they have, too! It's the perfect in between. Somewhere between a F650 and a R1150GS. More power, less weight and narrow! I think a F900 with a in-line parallel twin would be a natural progression for BMW. Can't wait to see what the big KTM Duke will look like. Imagine, a Supermotard bike with superbike power!

MarkF

Kbasa,

I think coffee at the Bovine could be in order. Though
work being what it is...it might be a while.

Traded some PM's with Kirk on the KTM and GS. Nice GS
too.

Ian

I think you're right Ian. We're going to have to get a bakery tour together out here. We could start in Pt. Reyes and then go to Tomales.

Maybe in October? Columbus Day weekend?

KBasa said:
I think you're right Ian. We're going to have to get a bakery tour together out here. We could start in Pt. Reyes and then go to Tomales.

Maybe in October? Columbus Day weekend?
Weekend After? I'm headed up to Yosemite over Columbus Day.

ian

In.

:thumb

I'll put it up in Local Rallies and see if anyone will show. Maybe some Advriders???

KBasa said:
In.

:thumb

I'll put it up in Local Rallies and see if anyone will show. Maybe some Advriders???

Abso-lutely! Maybe Fish will show and hang it all on Baldy this
time :)

Ian

Dave,
in the pic of the wrecked Honda, is that crinkly bit of scoring on the hillside leading up to the bike the trail it left before falling by the sign, or just something coincidental?

I think it's where he left the road. There were bits of motorcycle spread out over about a hundred feet.

Icky.

Re: Love than KTM

oilhed said:
That KTM V-twin is great! I love the little plastic saddlebags they have, too! It's the perfect in between. Somewhere between a F650 and a R1150GS. More power, less weight and narrow! I think a F900 with a in-line parallel twin would be a natural progression for BMW. Can't wait to see what the big KTM Duke will look like. Imagine, a Supermotard bike with superbike power!

MarkF

KTM_990_Duke_Orange_RHS_1024.jpg

More info at:
AussieMCN

Sorry for the size of the pic. Playing with new Safari, and can't seem to resize.

Last edited:
Nice report, kbasa, with some really cool pics. :brow
Hoo boy, I can see why that Honda wreck would get your attention ... looks bad from here. :eek

Back