• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EZ Pass Mounting Location?

04r1150rs

ONE LESS HARLEY
I've been looking into getting an EZ Pass, but am curious about where to mount it. Can it just go in a tank bag, behind the fairing or does it need a line of sight location? I've never used one and am not sure how it works. Also can one be shipped to me or will I need to pick it up at some designated location???
Thanks for any information.

Goggle EZ pass, You can get the system from various sources. I'm not sure if one vendors program is better than the others.
My transponder was shipped in the mail. The unit came with a pair of heavy duty velcro type strips. I placed the strips on the instrument cover behind the shield on my GS. It will work in most cases if it is carried in your tank bag or in a pocket, but I hate to go fumbling for the unit if there is a fault in the reception. Traffic generally moves briskly through the EZpass lanes. There are a few high speed EZ lanes and you definitely can not slow in these lanes. No pay or no read and your picture will be taken. If there is a patrol car nearby, he may track you down. (very rare) There's no heavy fine, but you don't want to arrive home to find a bunch of payment notices.

Motard

I got my EZ-Pass out of NY even though I live in Maine. One for the car and one for the bikes. I have my Pass in the tank bag of my GS and it is working fine.
I will probably mount it on the inside of the windshield soon, just so I can see the maps a little better with out having to move it around.
They really work a charm at the toll booths no more reaching for change and no on and off with the gloves in a panic.

good luck, :bolt

Whenever I travel I keep my EZpass in my map pocket under my maps/directions.

Only state that I ever had a problem was NY (I keep getting yellow lights). All other states it works fine.

If you have a tank bag, (or even a breast pocket on a riding jacket) I wouldn't sweat about mounting it to the bike...

$0.02

-Xaque-

I tried my ez-pass for the first time on the bike yesterday. I pulled it off the car windshield and put it in the breast pocket in my jacket. Didnt work! I was surprised since I have put it in the glove box in the car and had it activate when I didnt want it to. I may try it in my tank bag next time

HFD190 said:
I tried my ez-pass for the first time on the bike yesterday. I pulled it off the car windshield and put it in the breast pocket in my jacket. Didnt work! I was surprised since I have put it in the glove box in the car and had it activate when I didnt want it to. I may try it in my tank bag next time
Ours worked well with them in the tank bag map case.

HFD190 said:

I received a nasty-gram from EZPass regarding the use of my car transponder on the bike. The units may be coded per vehicle type or the plate number may register and an attendant noticed the discrepancy.

On another note - The transponders will get weak with long term usage. The EZpass people told me that there is an internal battery. The replacement was free.

Motard

Motard said:
I received a nasty-gram from EZPass regarding the use of my car transponder on the bike. The units may be coded per vehicle type or the plate number may register and an attendant noticed the discrepancy.
Motard

From what I understand, as long as it's the same "class" of vehicle, you can move it from car to car (or bike) no problem.

EZ Pass asks that you register the Plate # on your account of any vehicle you think may be using it on a regular basis, so if something comes up, and they review the tape, they'll know that the pass isn't stolen, etc.

I was talking with SheRidesABeemer about EZPass's and she mentioned that a couple of times she was charged the full (10 axel) charge while riding her bike.

There are sensors in the road bed that determine how many axels the vehicle has, and charges/bills your account accordingly.

SRAB said that while in NJ (I think?) the sensors didn't detect her motorcycle, and as a default, charged her rate for an 18 wheeler. Her advice was to look at your statement closely and check for problems.

-Xaque-

I use an EZ Pass holder that has a single suction cup on it - the one sold at my BMW dealership. I think its typically used for cars. I was a little skeptical at first, thinking that it might fall off, but one of the motorcycle technicians says it works fine behind the windshield. And so far so good.

I keep my EZ Pass in one of 2 locations, depending on where I'm travelling:

Within city limits, for most, if not all of the bridges and tunnels, I keep it velcroed on the inside left of my fairing (never seems to work on the Henry Hudson Bridge that connects the tip of Manhattan with The Bronx). For everywhere else, I keep it just about anywhere in my tankbag.

I keep dollar bills cached away in sleeve or tankbag pockets, JIC. :)

I keep mine in my top box when not near toll roads, but when in use, I use the supplied super velcro and mount it low on the center of my GS windscreen. In tens of thousands of miles on several different bikes, it has never fallen off. I keep meaning to make a little detachable lanyard for it, but haven't yet.

I got my EZpass from NY Ny EZ-Pass because as long as they have a credit card number for recharging the $25.00 that they hold to work tolls against, there is no deposit. This was a much better deal than here in Mass, where you can never get your "deposit" back.

I trick to get it to read is to look up and see the large flat square plate that is the pickup. Sometimes you have to move toward the center of the lane for it to read. Beware of spooge in the center of the lane, though...

Motard said:

On another note - The transponders will get weak with long term usage. The EZpass people told me that there is an internal battery. The replacement was free.

Motard

In NH, each unit is associated with your plate number and the type of plate. There are over 20 plate types in NH. They don't want you sharing the unit between vehicles despite the fact they are the same class for toll purposes.

As Xaque mentioned, my bikes don't always register correctly. I always have 2-3 errors on my bill, charging me class 1 rates. It's like the sensor sees the front of the bike, but not the back. I try to go through slowly!

As for mounting? Slap that baby on so it can be read!
ezpass.jpg

SheRidesABeemer said:
As Xaque mentioned, my bikes don't always register correctly. I always have 2-3 errors on my bill, charging me class 1 rates. It's like the sensor sees the front of the bike, but not the back. I try to go through slowly!

As for mounting? Slap that baby on so it can be read!

Seems like your mounting position is perfect. That should be easily read.

This is my solution to mouting my ipass. I have had no problems with it at all.
3 strips of velcro on the bike and 3 on the ipass.
Since I painted all the parts involved black, it's hard to see any of it, and that's my goal since I don't need to have it mounted daily, and I want it to be stealth-like.
I know it doesn't look too secure, but I've been at 3 digit speeds, and on plenty of rough roads with no problem.

Paitning it black is a nice idea. I would never have thought of that. What kind of paint did you use?

I used some regular flat black generic rust-oleum paint.
With this kind of mount, I've never had a problem with the system reading it. We have "open road" tolling in most places I go, so traffic's going through the toll at full on highway speeds, 50 to 90 mph depending on time of day.
Occasionally I go through the other lanes to confirm with the signals thats it's reading, and never a problem.
Luckily in Illinois you can have multiple plates on one iPass, that's why there's velcro on the top.

Last edited:
Paitning it black is a nice idea. I would never have thought of that. What kind of paint did you use?

According to EZPass it isn't legal to paint the transponder. This could be a problem when you trade the unit in for one with a fresh battery. I simply covered mine with black plastic tape. No one notices it unless I point it out and it seems to be read all of the time (except the NY Throughway!).

BTW I use the ZTechnik mount on my RT - very good quality.

EZ Pass mounted behind Fairing will it work?

I recieved my EZ Pass and mounted it behing the fairing just above the turnsignal on the RRS. Has anyone mounted theirs in a similar location. I assume it will register there as it's only plastic. Anyone mounted in a similar location??

I tried all different places for mounting my EZ pass, and none of them worked. I even replaced it with a new transponder, and it still would not be read. I tried it on the windshield, in the tank bag, on the tank bag, and in my jacket pocket. It would not work reliably.

Then I tried something different based on a suggestion on the R1150R board. I live in NJ, and you can get a special license plate mount EZ pass. It is designed for cars that have a special windshield that prevents EZ Pass from being read. (In NJ, they do not distinguish between cars and motorcycles.)

I zip tied this EZ Pass to the fork, under the front fender. It is invisible to anyone looking, and I have had virtually a 100% success rate with it being read. Also, it is designed for exterior use, so there should not be a problem with road conditions.

This solution really works well.

Back