• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What To Inspect on a 88 K 75c that has Not ran In 9 Years-

noble

I have my eye on a 1998 K75C that has been sitting since 1997 with 68K miles on it. It was dealer maintained up until then and externally look great. To my knowledge it was not prepped for storage. Being new to the K bikes I am looking for some sage advice on what to look at/inspect.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Noble,
R1100RT
Sherco 250
Beta 250

Hi, Noble,
First, DON'T try to start it. Dump whatever is in the gas tank and flush out the tank. If you remove the fuel pump, clean it out as much as you can and replace the vibration damper, you MIGHT not have to replace the fuel pump. Expect to have to clean or replace fuel lines, injectors, fuel filter, everything which could be gummed up by 9-year old gas turned to varnish. Don't be surprised if you have to rebuild or replace some or all of the brake components - master cylinders as well as calipers and maybe brake lines, too. Change all fluids as well as oil filter. Replace the tires. Lube the final drive splines and the clutch splines. If you're really anal, grease (or change) wheel bearings and steering head bearings. Replace the battery. You might not have to do all the listed stuff and you might get lucky. Then again, ... ! Good Luck!

I 2nd PHMarvin...

On all, but adding: if the gas tank has gas in it GOOD! It protected the fuel pump. If dry (probably @ 9yr), the pump is Doubtful. Once put in service, then let to dry, the roller parts that are the pressure generators, rust/pit and render the pump junk. I've tried to restore a couple and it's a trick I don't know yet...

If there was gas in it, be prepared for the rubber pump mount to be the gooiest mess imaginable. I ran across one that sat for 3 yrs & it took a couple of days to scrub the decayed rubber out of my hands. I should've put on latex gloves.... It is not trivial to clean the tank of such goo, I'll take advice of my betters on how to do this. I just used a Bunch of rags. Good Hunting... <<<)))

I absolutely agree about the fuel tank, pump and injectors. Those are known trouble spots. Trying to start it without cleaning the pump will almost always damage it - usually terminally.

You might also expect to see some leakage from the rear crankshaft main seal. Sometimes they leak at first but stop leaking once they have had some exercise.

Carefully examine the fuel hoses and coolant hoses for deterioration too.

I would change all of the fluids - oil, transmission oil, final drive oil, fork oil, brake fluid, and coolant before even attempting to run the bike. You will need a new battery. The tires are probably shot - regardless of tread (look for weathering and cracking on the sidewalls).

Paul Glaves

Thanks for the info.

I just wanted to say thanks for the information. I decided not to pursue that one and purchased one a running one. I am looking forward to learning and riding the K75 (not neccessarly in that order). The hard part now is the drive home (400ish miles) with it's reflection in the rearview mirror. I applogize in advance for having a BMW in the back of the truck......

K Bike Hop

The only "trick" to riding a K is avoiding the "K bike hop" which results from improper braking technique. If you grab a handfull of brake without pulling in the clutch you'll have a hopping rear wheel. Once was enough for me, I learned my lesson, K bikes are very forgiving, enjoy your wise choice.

When I bought my K11 on Ebay in 2000, it was 7 years old, with 3,000 miles, it had not been run in 5 years. Unencumbered by technical knowledge we dropped a battery in it and started it up. We trailered it home, swapped out the gas and went for a ride. All it needed was new tires and the master cylinder replaced.

Noble said:
I just wanted to say thanks for the information. I decided not to pursue that one and purchased one a running one. I am looking forward to learning and riding the K75 (not neccessarly in that order). The hard part now is the drive home (400ish miles) with it's reflection in the rearview mirror. I applogize in advance for having a BMW in the back of the truck......
I think that is a wise move. Any BMW left in a garage for 9 years or whatever will cost around $2K to do it right. You might get by with less, but I would figure on that. And that would make such a bike worth less than $1K or so as is.

I'd be looking at the splines before taking it anywhere, since it us up near the magical 70k miles point.

Back