Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: West Coast Riders to Vermont???

Unregistered

Talking West Coast Riders to Vermont???

Anybody from the west coast or Bay Area/San Francisco going to the rally?

James
    (415) 596-5005

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar

Could you stop in Cheyenne for Saturday night 7/15?

Hello James,

Back on May 22 at 6 PM I had posted "Any Southern California Riders Leaving on 7/14?" Received no responses, so if your travel plans would include your stopping for the night in Cheyenne, Wyoming on Saturday, July 15 I would be interested in riding back to the Rally with you. My only criteria is that I need to be in Saratoga Springs, New York on Tuesday night the 18th. My nine year old son Seth will be staying on vacation with his Aunt and Uncle there and the four of us will be going on a bike ride on Wednesday. You would be welcome to pitch your tent in their backyard and do a motorcycle tour of the Adirondacks with them as your local guide. I will leave UpState on Thursday morning, the 20th for the Rally in Burlington.

According to MapQuest the time from San Francisco to Cheyenne is 17 hours and the mileage is 1,200. From Phoenix to Cheyene is 15 hours and 1,050 miles. From Cheyenne to Albany, New York is 1,800 miles; so three 600 miles days of riding will get us there. If you are interesed in teaming up with me please post back and I will reserve a double bed room at either a Quality or Comfort Inn in Cheyenne for July 15. My home number is 480-917-3863. My home E-mail is beemerdons@aol.com

Very Best Regards, Don Stanley, Chandler - Arizona, Cell: 602-722-0427, President - AZ Beemers, www.azbeemers.org

Yep!

I'm going from Clovis(Near Fresno) and leaving for Vermont sometime around the 9th,10th July. I have no route planned, except northerly towards Canada and maybe into Canada. I have to be in Newport,Rhode Island(275 from rally)on Thursday(the 20th,Rally Day) for my daughters graduation from Navy Officer School and we plan to be at rally late Thursday or Friday morning. I'm riding my classic R100/7, '78 model year, that I rode to Vermont BMW National Rally in that same year,'78. Yep, I've owned it 28 years now and I'm looking forward to the classic riding style of yesteryear aboard the R bike. My KLT sits this one out. The R is special to me, as you can read and it sticks out a bit from norm, with its 9 gallon Heinrick tank and Parrabellum Scout fairing, etcetc. Look for me on the road. I wear all black, with black bike, red striping and I'm riding solo. Packed for camping! Happy Trails, Randy13233

I'm going to be a weenie this year and fly. A friend is going to loan me a nice R80 G/S
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Because my mom turns 70 on July 11, and my family will have a party for her on July 16, I will be leaving from LA late in the afternoon of the 16th. I guess I'm gonna take the interstate all the way across.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Anybody from the west coast or Bay Area/San Francisco going to the rally?

James
    (415) 596-5005
    James, I will be leaving Missoula on the 10th. Back to new england.
    Let me know if that works for you.

Paul
    BLU 02 RT

where have all the hardcores gone?

I am surprised also, Don. I expected groups of BMW riders going across country. I rode a lot in New Zealand and rallys were crazy with riders from all over the islands. I am making my plans around people and some hikes.

Hikes depending on how safe my bike and gear will be. KBasa, I was told to contact you by Isa at SF BMW. He said you might ride. Weenie

Do you know others in the Bay Area riding?

Polarbear, great story with the bike and Vermont Rally. If you want some company I'd like to see if our routes matchup. I want to go to the Idaho rally but maybe miss the CO rally. Who knows. Anyone doing the "Peaks of America Tour" are you crazy enough to hit all three?

Darryl, that will be too rushed of a ride for me but if my clients slam me I may be racing you across the US!

Stockmann, will you be at the Idaho Rally? Missoula may be the furthest up I go and then drop down. Looks like some gorgeous riding and hiking up that way.

James
    415 596 5005

2000 - R1200C

Quote Originally Posted by 90952
    Anyone doing the "Peaks of America Tour" are you crazy enough to hit all three?
    I am. Crazy enough, that is. The run from CO to VT will of necessity be pretty much a "slab slam." No time to stop and smell the roses, or the corn.

John

Certifiable Old Fart beemerdons's Avatar

West Coast Riding Contingent; Use 602-254-1191x148

Dear James, Randy, Darryl, Paul and John,

Hey Guys: Looks like we are forming up to be the West Coast Riding Contingent. I am very suprised that just five weeks before departure time to Vermont that we are not seeing more group ride organizational activities showing up here on the Forum. This is unlike previous years of the BMWMOA International's where you have seen riding groups forming up for months in advance.

I do have to admit as President of a 200 member BMWMOA Club here in Arizona that a lot of my group do not see any draw to going to Vermont for "mountain riding." With the Sierras of California and Nevada only being a short days ride from Phoenix, and the Rockies of Colorado being just a long days ride away; that is real mountain pass riding to we Zonies. Also, just two hours from Phoenix we have the great mountain roads of the Mogollon Rim. The real riding secret in Eastern Arizona is "The Devil's Highway - Route 666" from Alpine to Clifton; just imagine "The Dragon" being 100 miles long instead of just 15!

But I am anxiously looking forward to riding to Vermont with you to check out the "little" mountains. It looks like Michael Friedle, Rob Nye and their crew are putting on a fabulous event for our enjoyment and I can't wait to get there! There is a lot of history in that region and I did ski Stowe decades ago and remember the area as very beautiful. Plus, the entertainment lineup is wonderful! Since it seems like everyone's plans are fluid right now, please place my work number of 602-254-1191x148 in a handy location to reach me. I will not make any on-the-road room reservations until I hear from you the week of departure. I am a Project Manager for Metro Mechanical in downtown Phoenix near the State Capitol and I can be reached there until 2PM on Friday, July 14 when I put "Ingrid" my R1150RT in gear and start rolling to Vermont.

Very Best Regards, Don Stanley - Chandler, Arizona, Cell: 602-722-0427, President AZ Beemers, www.azbeemers.org beemerdons@aol.com

It's true, I expect to do 4 700+ mile days, all on the interstate. But I just can't do it otherwise, and, having been to Vermont once before, it's worth going again.

Don, it's not so much that it's mountain riding. While the New Englanders might think of VT and NH as mountainous, we out here know that it's merely hilly. All the same, the roads are very entertaining. You don't need high altitudes to make a good riding road. It's like going to Europe -- everyone has to visit the Alps and Dolomites. But actually, you can have a great time riding in Tuscany or the area west of Cologne known as the Eifel. Both spots have low hills but the roads go around them, not through them.

I hope to take a much more leisurely route home.
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Hikes depending on how safe my bike and gear will be. KBasa, I was told to contact you by Isa at SF BMW. He said you might ride. Weenie
    It's a vacation time issue, more than anything else. I was going to make a 4 day, cross country thrash out of it (each way), but I'm trying to save time to go to S. Africa in October.

Glad to see you got registered!
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Dates and times;

When our departs get within a week away, we should start talking more serious about which way we are heading and maybe ride some together. Its probably still too far away to get too serious about meeting someone out on the open road, until we/I know exactly where I'll be, or thereabouts! Happy Trails,Randy Prez's get extra priveleges? Fly'in? R80GS waiting? Weenie'ish for sure! Sorry, Dave, you get the West Coast Weenie Award for now.......

I am surprised also, Don. I expected groups of BMW riders going across country. I rode a lot in New Zealand and rallys were crazy with riders from all over the islands. I am making my plans around people and some hikes.

Do you know others in the Bay Area riding?

Polarbear, great story with the bike and Vermont Rally. If you want some company I'd like to see if our routes matchup. I want to go to the Idaho rally but maybe miss the CO rally. Who knows. Anyone doing the "Peaks of America Tour" are you crazy enough to hit all three?

Darryl, that will be too rushed of a ride for me but if my clients slam me I may be racing you across the US!

Stockmann, will you be at the Idaho Rally? Missoula may be the furthest up I go and then drop down. Looks like some gorgeous riding and hiking up that way.

James
    415 596 5005

2000 - R1200C

James, I have to be at a wedding july 8th & 9th then will be headed East, North east, South east? Are you Camping or using hotels?

Paul

1150RT

Thumbs up West Coast Weenies

I share Don's thoughts also. I expected to have to choose which gang of riders I wanted to ride with instead of using RV's as pylons as I make my way back east.

I will be checking back on this thread and see if we get more riders wanting to go to the rally(s). So far it sounds like I am picking up riders along the way...

Someone has to be coming from San Francisco. Push that bike past Point Reyes Station for once

Happy Friday. Time to go to the bar.

Yes I made it on, sort of. Cant change to my handle "jaztuck" but oh well.

Thumbs up 5 star to no star

Stockman, I am doing both hotels and camping. I am not one of those who has to do one or the other or be all macho hardcore and camp the entire time.

I may rent some golf clubs, shoot 18, go for a hike, get a massage, hit some clubs, take a lot of photos, talk on my Chatterbox, camp on grass, dirt, or goose down. All depends on where I am and what the options look like.

I prefer to camp more than hotels, that way when I get to the hotel I can really make a mess of the place

James