• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Garmin 176 on RT

fish

Megalodon
Finally got all the parts to mount the Garmin GPSmap 176 on my RT:

801559-M.jpg

801560-M.jpg

801561-M.jpg

Uses stock 176 mount cradle, with RAM round base attached, to RAM short arm, to RAM 11mm base, to cyclegadget RT handlebar spacer and bolt.

Beautimous. Looking at that mount, I don't think it's going to jump off on bumpy roads. :D

Didn't you used to have an SP III?

Looks great Fish, really clean look to the mount. Does that thing show any motivational images of sheep for ya??

KBasa said:
Beautimous. Looking at that mount, I don't think it's going to jump off on bumpy roads. :D
:uhoh

Didn't you used to have an SP III?

I had a colormap and sold it to nopork, and i have an SP mono...that was the one that kept jumping into my lap on Del Puerto Cyn on the way to the 49er. You can see the empty velcro slot on the RCU shelf in that first pic.

Fun ride once I tucked the SP into my tankbag.
226425-M.jpg

lorazepam said:
Looks great Fish, really clean look to the mount. Does that thing show any motivational images of sheep for ya??

thanks. funny you should mention sheep...i've got a photo of my GPS with Sheep Ranch Road on it somewhere...

Here it is...

10172-M.jpg

Fish,

Sounds like you have had a few GPS systems. New guy here and I have some questions:

I'm looking at the Garmin SP III, SP III deluxe and the 2610. I'm not the most electronically gifted person around. Any recommendations on them. Between them they seem to offer the same stuff. The price is the difference.

Also mounts. Looks like you used a few different components, can't you just get a mount all inclusive?

Thanks
Rhino
:confused:

Originally posted by
New guy here and I have some questions:

Hi new guy! :wave

I'm looking at the Garmin SP III, SP III deluxe and the 2610.

I don't know much about the 2610, other than it's going to be about $1200!
If you are getting an SPIII, get the deluxe, since you'll need the sw, cables, and card reader anyway.

I'm not the most electronically gifted person around. Any recommendations on them. Between them they seem to offer the same stuff. The price is the difference.

The SP is nice, but the processor is kinda slow. Only you can determine if autorouting is important to you. I chose the 176 because of its high res screen and fast proc in a pkg smaller than an SP. Autorouting isn't important to me.

Also mounts. Looks like you used a few different components, can't you just get a mount all inclusive?

There are several mount options, depending on which GPS you get. There is no single "right" solution.

Hope this helped.

Back