• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ride It To Work (Every) Day

Temp at 7:00 AM was exactly 32 degrees F. Started my S.O.'s car to let it warm up so she wouldn't have to scrape the ice off the windshield, then hopped on my bike for an invigorating 30 mile ride to work. Thank God for Gerbing vests and heated grips!:thumb

Just bought an '07 R1200RT trading in a'96 RT wishing I could have kept the old one too just for the sake of having it and still not losing the love for it. I ride everyday with exception to the ice and potential there of. I short hop everywhere with my machine and work a swing shift so I have days off during the week for getting lost. I'm so very happy with my '07 RT that the wife even likes to see my perma grin when I get on it.

I ride to work as much as possible

In fact, did some research today, and:

Since 21JUL07, have put 8843 miles on the motorcycle and only 31 miles on the car. I really do need to exercise the car more I'm afraid, otherwise the seals and such are going to dry out on me!

I switched jobs in August and have not driven the car to the new jobsite yet!

More details in the blog. Note that less than half of the above miles on the bike were for work commuting, the rest was for pleasure riding.

And yet, after calculating the costs had I driven the car, I still came out ahead by using the motorcycle, even including all the gas spent on pleasure riding!

In fact, did some research today, and:

Since 21JUL07, have put 8843 miles on the motorcycle and only 31 miles on the car. I really do need to exercise the car more I'm afraid, otherwise the seals and such are going to dry out on me!
QUOTE]

I hear that - the solution for my old pickup is a system where it gets about 18 miles a week on it. Every Sunday morning we make a run for the grocery store - otherwise it would sit and freeze up waiting for snow and ice. I take a route where I can get it up to 55-60 mph to get everything warm.

Back