• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Security/Locks

djmeloche

I've been looking at the options out there for disk locks. Kryptonite seems to be the best deal - any other recommendations other than an alarm?

I'm a new member and have had a 16 yr. break from riding, glad to be back but times have changed! :bliss

Rhino6207 said:
I've been looking at the options out there for disk locks. Kryptonite seems to be the best deal - any other recommendations other than an alarm?

I'm a new member and have had a 16 yr. break from riding, glad to be back but times have changed! :bliss

I've got a couple of Kryptonite cable locks. I use them to lock up the bike and secure my 'stich and helmet.

dave

Thanks for the reply. I'm partial to the disk lock with the reminder cable. I guess either way the bike is still secured.

Thanks again!

It took a while for me to get it figured, but I finally got it on there.

I guess I asked a pretty basic question about the locks. I just saw the post from Denver about the stolen bike. I'm ordering today from MAW... and no I'm not a fanatic about it disappearing! (although my wife says I would sleep with the bike if I could :snore )

I have two kryptonite locks for my bike. One is a New York disc lock and the second one is a cable lock, also rated at 5*. I hope it is enough, as thieves always seem to get what they want, no matter what you do:banghead.
Maybe we ought to chop off the hands of those who steal. That may put off a few of these low-lives.

I take the attitude is that locks only keep honest people honest and try not to stress about it.

I do a Kryptonite Disc Lock and then a cable lock under the bike from the rear wheel disk to the center stand, that goes to a pole when possible.

Instead of sinking my money into the locks, I sink it into insurance and protective gear.

I am paranoid and will not leave my helmet with the bike unattended. Not about it being stolen, but it being abused.

I agree on not going overboard on locks, I don't have an alarm either as most people won't react to it anyway and I did buy the good riding gear too.
If theft happens than insurance will take care of it but it is a sign of the times we live in that people basicly suck.
I am a positive person and see a glass or tank as half full :bliss ,but living in South Florida you see a lot of crime and stupidity on the streets:cry .

Here in Mississippi the bike you see most is a Harley. I never see them secured. I think the mentality is to leave them alone. Not many BMW's running around, maybe I should get a cable lock...

Absolutely correct about alarms, how many times have you been in a parking lot and just heard them go off time and time again.

Maybe Lojack for bikes????

:dunno

Now Lo-Jack might be something:idea , but the system is hidden inside the frame of cars and most bikes don't have room enough for much of anything larger than a pack of cigarettes.
If the system can be made small enough I think it might work.:dunno

Rhino6207 said:
Here in Mississippi the bike you see most is a Harley. I never see them secured. I think the mentality is to leave them alone. Not many BMW's running around, maybe I should get a cable lock...

Check under the steering stem. HD make a couple of loops that take a big ass padlock. Stealthy and effective enough to make thieves go elsewhere.

Ive got an RT, I was referring to the rattle monsters (HD) down here. They are all unsecured so my logic is that the theft problem is not big or a concern. Im eagerly awaiting the UPS truck with my Krypto disc lock

I went to buy a Krytonite lock at the local dealer last weekend and was told they won't fit the rotor on an R1100RS. Rather than lug around a bulky cable, I've decided to make sure my insurance is current and face the fact that if they want it bad enough, there's not much to keep it from being stolen.

Fasterling,

As with all things these days there is an inherent risk! A sign of the times I guess. :(
Good advice and yes, my insurance is up to date as well. :bliss

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the response.

Fasterling said:
I went to buy a Krytonite lock at the local dealer last weekend and was told they won't fit the rotor on an R1100RS. Rather than lug around a bulky cable, I've decided to make sure my insurance is current and face the fact that if they want it bad enough, there's not much to keep it from being stolen.

That's strange, because I use one on my R1100RS. I've had it for a few years, perhaps the design has changed.:dunno

That seems like some great technology. I can't get anywhere on the web site other than the welcome page. Is there more to it or do you have to contact them first?

Do you use it? Seems like you could track a whole lot of other stuff associated with riding as well.

Rhino, indeed it is.
The rider using this technology is Tom Leogering of Manhattan Beach, CA, a well known LD rider...on a K1200LT.
I couldn't come up with much on the technology, although I suspect its similar to what's used for long-haul truckers to keep track on their whereabouts.
Loegering would be the guy to ask, I suspect. He had an email address of tomsr@vel.net, but that was a few years back.
Loegering is the rider in the 1997 Iron Butt who was disqualified after finishing first or second (can't remember) because he lost his Iron butt towel, and doctored another to
resemble his, using the doctored towel to photgraphically record his presence at certain IBR bonus point locations. He made all the stops - but it was considered foul play to use another towel.
Perhaps the use of the lo-jack type technology in 2003 was a way of making sure everyone knew where he was and when.
Anyway, he is partially retired from Real Estate Management Services in Redondo Beach, CA, and I suspect could be reached there. As far as the technology goes, it was interesting that it can be used to monitor natural gas wells by computer...

Mac

Sorry I couldn't answer sooner, I was riding the Rockies for the last week (awesome trip!!!). I believe Prestige Motorsports (St. Louis) was selling the Kryptonite EV. Took my chances/trusted humanity and left my bike parked in my brother's driveway in Colorado Springs. No problems.:)

Back