• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

"camping" What to bring?

F

frankiedakar

Hey everyone,
My girlfriend and I are making a list of items we want to to bring to the rally. What we have down so far is : motorcycle, 2 helements, tent........
This will be our 1st rally, soo i'd like to know if i could get any other ideas from past ralliers.
We would hate get up there and say,,,dang thats a good idea...or i wish we would have brought that....
see ya up there,
frankie
Mechanicsburg, Pa.

Shorts...it's July.

If your two up forget bringing a cooler, buy one of those $1.99 styrofoam ones and leave it behind.:beer

Exactly one-half the clothing that you think you'll need.

Stuff2C said:
Shorts...it's July.

If your two up forget bringing a cooler, buy one of those $1.99 styrofoam ones and leave it behind.:beer

yeah and when evryone leaves, someone still has to stay and clean up 3000 foam coolers. they are lots of soft,compact coolers available...

Check out Camping down the left side of the Home Page.

thanks every one :wave
i never noticed the "camping" section on the bmw moa hompage,,, wow that has alot of info i was looking for.
i just joined bmw moa tonight. i figure if im going to your rally ,,,i should be a memeber. i'm looking forward to getting the news letter and learning more about bmw's.
thanks again,
frankie

frankiedakar said:
thanks every one :wave
i never noticed the "camping" section on the bmw moa hompage,,, wow that has alot of info i was looking for.
i just joined bmw moa tonight. i figure if im going to your rally ,,,i should be a memeber. i'm looking forward to getting the news letter and learning more about bmw's. thanks again, frankie
Welcome to the club, Frankie! Look forward to seeing you at the Rally.

:wave

tuber1 said:
yeah and when evryone leaves, someone still has to stay and clean up 3000 foam coolers. they are lots of soft,compact coolers available...

You may want to check and see if they are going to have trash cans at the rally site before you purchase your styrofoam cooler. :D

Coolers

Trash cans or no, I suggest the soft collapsable type instead of styrofoam.
1) You only have to buy it once.
2) You contribute less the the waste-stream.
3) You decrease the work-load for the cleanup volunteers
4) The styrofoam may be CFC-free, but it's still made of petroleum.
5) If you have more than one day of travel getting to or from the rally, you might get use of the collapsable cooler along the way too.
6) It's just plain irresponsible to use something once then toss it.
7) The soft-cooler could double as bike-luggage (tail-bag, etc.).

A Helen2Wheels bag once emptied can then be filled with ice and used as an effective cooler. Might not have the same insulting properties of styrofoam or other coolers but I would rather simply use more solid water (ice) that is very easy to dispose of then dispose of styrofoam, plus it takes no extra room. :dance

ice

who needs ice anyway

drink bourbon, wine, water. If you have to have beer trade your wine and bourbon with your neighbor. . . . or drink it warm :eat

have conch horn will travel
Tom from Winamac

System case when empty makes a decent beverage chest.

As to what to take along, as little as you can get by with. Make sure that you have a decent packing system so the stuff stays put. Helen 2 wheels website has some good tips, even if you don't use her stuff

http://www.helen2wheels.com/

Mosquito repellent is a must, it comes in compact wipes now which is convenient.

Make sure you have a thermorest and get the lightest sleeping bags you can find for the temperatures you think you will encounter. Get a light compact tent but make sure it is big enough for both of you. 2 doors is nice so you don't have to crawl over each other, a vestibule is nice for gear without intruding in the living space. Practice setting it up, tearing down and packing it.

The bike will handle much differently with passenger and camping gear. Don't try to be canyon racer with all the stuff on back.

Take it easy, have fun and enjoy it.

Multiple Use Equipment is best for Camping

Keep in mind once you set up camp you should ride to a gas station, fill up the bike and check it over then go to the local liquor store purchase your choice of liquor and fill your trusty BMW systems cases with ice. They make excellent coolers and
1. They do not add to the waste stream...the booze does.
2. No additional expense...you have them anyway.
3. melted ice cleans dust out of the inside of the case.
4. You don't have to figure out how to use it as luggage it already is.
5. It is just plain irresponsible to buy something once and not figure out multiple uses for it.
:drink

Camping in Vermont!

Have really good waterproof gear! Rain is always likely there and if you and your stuff are dry, you're happy. First time campers to rallies always make this mistake and have bad experience. Use your saddlebag for cooler. If you buy the "silver" bubble insul wrap you see around water tanks,etc and bought at any hardware store, it cuts and trims to line your bag for ice holding ability. It CAN be used for other camping chores, too. Rolls up and packs easy. Just another idea! PS;Don't permanently line your bag, just use the stuff as a liner for ice; works swell.

camping stuff

For a cooler, I use an insulated collapsible six pack holder. It weighs nothing, packs tight and works reasonably well. It's made out of some sort of nylon fabric and has a sandwich type thermal barrier inside.

Rinty

Don't bring any clothes -they're too bulky - just wear styrofoam duct-taped to your body. When the rally is over, toss it all in the trash - ride home naked. (except for your helmet of course.)

Back