• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT hot legs

DrGeo

I love my '95 RT but I'm not crazy about the heat off the engine. Some riders have removed the lower fairing for better air circulation. I would prefer to leave the fairing as is. Has anyone ever used wind deflectors on the lower fairing? If so, do they work and where can they be aquired ?

Some folks swear by those Baker Air Wings.

They bolt onto the side of the fairing and can be swiveled to blow air on your legs.

I used to have an RS and if I rode without my Aerostich's pants, it was hot. With the pants, it was perfectly comfortable. Just a data point and all... :bikes

I pulled mine and it really cooled things down. Pulled them a month too soon though, so it was a bit brisk in the morning. Great now.

DrGeo said:
I don't know why I do what I do...I asked about Baker wings BEFORE I thought to do a search...As usual, the cart before the horse. Anyhow, I found the web site...www.BakerAirWings.com I need some...on't know why they're not standard equipment.

I beg to differ...

Get the Baker Airwings, you will never regret it. I found removing the lowers really doesn't reduce heat on a riders legs. Airwings do help cool and also help keep the rider warm when turned out (instead of scooping air) on cold days and nights. They also increase the riders envelope during riding in the rain. Don't buy the cheap Chinese imitation Baker wings.

Well, you could install the iron (not Nikasil that is) cylinders from a pre-1981 Airhead and then all the heat would go into your engine oil instead of being dissipated to the atmosphere!

Just keep telling yourself it's good for your engine.

Ride faster.

Ride 80mph for a half-hour or so straight, and you'll get to finally feel the rush of heat from your oil cooler. Then, you might learn to like how it usually is.

Last edited:
Back