• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

windscreen cleaning

If it is the plastic Beemer windshields Plexus works pretty good, or mild soapy water, just dont use Windex and rags as it dulls them fairly well over time. Honda brand of plastics polish works good too.

Skip the $12 can of Plexus and snatch some Pledge from under the sink, same thing only 1/3 the cost :D Biggest thing is to use a SOFT, CLEAN rag to do the clean/polish thing AFTER a wash down of at least water to remove the loose dirt/bug/yuck. Do the clean/polish in a vertical pattern to help control light deffusion for after sunset riding.

JCBR1150R said:
What base material is the windscreen comprised of?
The OEM windshield for the r1150r is polycarbonate. Some screens are made of acrylic. I think most have some kind of a scratch resistant coating. I don't think that I've ever heard or seen what that consists of.

I've had good luck using a tar and bug remover, rinsing and then washing with soap and water. The tar and bug remover seems to soften the bugs fairly well and doesn't appear to have damaged the plastic.

Has anyone had a problem with using the bug remover on a windshield?

Hot water!

If hot water available, nothing beats this! Don't use to much, if any rain repellant, imo. RainX etc, will drown you with water coming off and around windscreen. I don't think its good for plastics, anyhow. So many plastic cleaners out there, too many to list. Even good non abrasive waxes work quite well. Not used often, though. The ones you use on your new car, bike,etc. Water, especially warm,hot water cleans bugs really nicely. An old favorite is "Pledge" furniture polish, found everywhere! Even the "eyeglass",eyewear people recommend this stuff for your plastic lenses,etc. The Pledge even puts a quick polish on your paint, shoes, leather, whatever. I used it for years and years without any hassle and its cheaper, too. I've had all the other brands of cleaners, too. :usa

Whatever you do make sure you do NOT use anything that contains amonia on that plastic windshield. It will degrade the material and cause it to craze and fog.

To start the cleaning process I like to soak a couple of paper towels with water or whatever window cleaner I have available and just lay them on the windscreen for a while to soften up the crud. Give it few minutes and all those nasty chitinous bug-bodies will lift right off with the towel.

Steve

I've got an electric windshield on a 1992 K75RT. It's got a lot of light surface scratches and a few really noticible deeper scratches as well. Any idea whether its polycarbonate or acrylic, as a prelude to figuring out how to buff it out (or whatever), would be appreciated...

I like Plexus for regular windshield and faceshield cleaning.

Ammonia makes faceshields brittle and they'll crack at the mounting points.

I listened to a debate on this at the beartooth rendezvous last year. One guy swore that hydrogen peroxide was the best thing in the world for removing caked on bugs. He said he'd been using it for years and it hadn't hurt the paint or windsheild. I went home after the rally, pulled the peroxide out of the medicine cabinet, screwed on a sprayer from an empty windex bottle and gave it a try. He's right. You spray it on, watch as it starts to fizz, wait 'til it stops and turns clear, and hose it and all the bugs off. It's that easy. :D
As always, YMMV but it works for me.

Edit:
Oh yeah, after you get the bugs off, Pro Honda Spray Cleaner & Polish takes any road grime/tar off and shines everything up nicely. The can says that it: "polishes paint, chrome, glass and clear plastic", "protects vinyl, plastic and rubber", "blocks UV rays-reduces fading and cracking", "repels water-beads up like wax".
I got this tip from the GoldWing touring crowd. So if you don't mind using a H***a product on your Beemer give it a try.

Last edited:
And always use ,as mentioned above a soft clean Cotton cloth.
Do not use paper towels. Paper towels will scratch your 'non' glass wind sheild.

On your cages glass windows an old trick is newspapers instead of paper towels.

I'm with KBasa on this one. I've used Plexus for years with consistently good results. I would be very careful when using products not specifically made for a motorcycle windshield. If you question whether your windshield is polycarbonate or acrylic, contact the manufacturer. If you use hydrogen peroxide, make sure you get all of it off. There are studies that suggest hydrogen peroxide in combination with other substances will pit your windshield. See http://www.entsoc.org/Pubs/Periodicals/AE/AE-2002/spring/buzzwords.pdf

Easy

A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother. :german

I have had great results with Rokeach brand Kosher Soap. It works great on bugs and stuff, plus it is environmentally friendly and cost effective. I just mix it was a little water and off comes the bugs.

I just go on long rides in the rain, even the most stuborn of bug splat eventually washes off. Oh wait that's almost everyday, sorry :laugh

I use 'Plexus' on everything. I also use another product 'recommended for my car' from BMW. It's Mequiars Final Inspection #34 it's great for that quick wipe down on all painted surfaces and between wash and wax cycles, (which isn't very often) (I washed/detailed my GS last weekend, it lasted three days; oh well.)

I did use 'Novus' plasitc cleaners and scratch remover on a BMW GS Adv. windscreen and it worked pretty well for getting rid of allot of minor tree/brush scrapes, its a PITA and you should remove the screen and follow the instructions about applying in a back-and-forth method at right angles to the scratches.

'Pledge' Huh, I'll have to remember that one...

Doc

Agreed!

RedBeemer said:
Skip the $12 can of Plexus and snatch some Pledge from under the sink, same thing only 1/3 the cost :D Biggest thing is to use a SOFT, CLEAN rag to do the clean/polish thing AFTER a wash down of at least water to remove the loose dirt/bug/yuck. Do the clean/polish in a vertical pattern to help control light deffusion for after sunset riding.

I just cleaned up my windscreens as well as my face shield this morning...with Pledge.

Oh, PS I use Rain-X religously on helmet visors, I've never experienced a problem, it's the best thing I know for keeping your visor clear during a wet ride.

Rian-X on the outside

Fog-X on the inside

Works for me YMMV

Doc

I used Pledge for years and it works well. The last few years I've used Plexus and it will take even dried bugs off with no scratching; no soaking necessary.

For polishing out scratches you might try Meguiar's aircraft canopy cleaner. It should be available at the pilot supply store at your local general aviation airport.

Rinty

Scratches

White vinegar applied with black & white newspaper fills in the scratches on pladtic windshields very nicely.

Back