• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

You wouldn't believe this engine!

PAULBACH

An Aussie I met in NZ sent me this picture. A Beemer engine to the max!

Attachments

• Radial.jpg
    Radial.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
I know what it is!

Pilot here and seen these in another format....Airplanes! BMW built these engines for a lot of airplanes over the early years. These radial engines are very common WW2 era engine and beyond. Of course BMW got its start building Airpalne engines in the late teens, a tad bit before cycles came along. WW1 dried up and the need for such did, too. Therefore the 1923(I Think) BMW cycle was born from the earlier aircraft engines. Its a tad bit funny looking in this bike picture. Cool work, though. HP and torque here is HUGE! Randy13233

Polarbear said:
Pilot here and seen these in another format....Airplanes! BMW built these engines for a lot of airplanes over the early years. These radial engines are very common WW2 era engine and beyond. Of course BMW got its start building Airpalne engines in the late teens, a tad bit before cycles came along. WW1 dried up and the need for such did, too. Therefore the 1923(I Think) BMW cycle was born from the earlier aircraft engines. Its a tad bit funny looking in this bike picture. Cool work, though. HP and torque here is HUGE! Randy13233

Doesn't the radial engine spin (hence the name as I was told), and the centrifugel force feed oil and fuel and cooling etc? Surely this could not be feasible in such a frame right? Or am I missing something (and I frequently am)?

Those radials are really cool. At the Smithsonian Air Museam at Dulles Airport, they have a mechanical virtual "cut-away" of one of those radials and show the crank/flywheel rotating and staggered firing order of the cylinders and other moving parts. Wonder what it was like setting the timing on those things?

BTW - I know BMW began as an aircraft powerplant manufacturing company, hence the roundel that represents a spinning propeller. Isn't it true that after WWI there was a some kind of a treaty signed that prohibited them from building airplane motors, so they resorted to building motorcycles? Can any history buffs confirm?

screwtop said:
Those radials are really cool. At the Smithsonian Air Museam at Dulles Airport, they have a mechanical virtual "cut-away" of one of those radials and show the crank/flywheel rotating and staggered firing order of the cylinders and other moving parts. Wonder what it was like setting the timing on those things?

BTW - I know BMW began as an aircraft powerplant manufacturing company, hence the roundel that represents a spinning propeller. Isn't it true that after WWI there was a some kind of a treaty signed that prohibited them from building airplane motors, so they resorted to building motorcycles? Can any history buffs confirm?

I have a a DVD that covers the history of the company that was purchased for me at the AMA museum, and that is what was stated on that version of the history yes.

PUDGYPAINTGUY said:
Doesn't the radial engine spin (hence the name as I was told), and the centrifugel force feed oil and fuel and cooling etc? Surely this could not be feasible in such a frame right? Or am I missing something (and I frequently am)?

Some did, most don't. The engineering issues of having the crank fixed and the engine spin made that a less than popular format. The reason its called a radial engine is because of the arrangement of the cylinders as radii of a circle.

Another version

This is another version of radial engine motorcycle. I wonder who dreams these up and how many Fosters it takes to complete one of these machines? And, where do they hide the wings?

Attachments

• radial.jpg
    radial.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 297
PUDGYPAINTGUY said:

You're right about the original radials this is a later version. Engine is stationary, the crank turns as is normal practice. As stated, HP is huge, torque is AWESOME.
I'm sure that it is intended as a drag exhibition bike. This engine is dry sumped and would normally use a 12-15 gal oil tank with an air to oil heat exchanger. Fuel consumption is just as awesome as the torque output. Bike tank would only last about 10 min. These things are worth firing up just to hear the exhaust note, a very smooth low rolling rumble. I've spent many hours wrenching on radials. Ultra reliable in the air, but require hours of routine maintenance.

Motard

Interesting, on the second bike it appears that they are pulling power off an accessory drive pad rather than off the crankshaft itself. The flywheel effect would be horrendous. Probably a feat to keep it between the barricades. Nor is the engine design intended for acceleration but rather for hours at a sustained RPM.
Anything for a laugh.

Motard

screwtop said:
Isn't it true that after WWI there was a some kind of a treaty signed that prohibited them from building airplane motors, so they resorted to building motorcycles? Can any history buffs confirm?

yes, Treaty of Versailles

as as I know it
WWII chapter I

Stationary cylinders, rotating crank=radial engine
Stationary crank, rotating cylinders=rotary engine

Although both types have cylinders in a radial arrangement.

I thought a "rotary" engine looked like this:
images

Is there more than one type in the classification?

Whatever happened to the old Norton rotary bikes? I remember reading about a police model in England and some controversy about how to rate it for engine size which eventually led it to being dropped from racing.

Steve

Last edited:
Motard said:
You're right about the original radials this is a later version. Engine is stationary, the crank turns as is normal practice. As stated, HP is huge, torque is AWESOME.
I'm sure that it is intended as a drag exhibition bike. This engine is dry sumped and would normally use a 12-15 gal oil tank with an air to oil heat exchanger. Fuel consumption is just as awesome as the torque output. Bike tank would only last about 10 min. These things are worth firing up just to hear the exhaust note, a very smooth low rolling rumble. I've spent many hours wrenching on radials. Ultra reliable in the air, but require hours of routine maintenance.

Motard

Thanks for the reply and explanation..another tidbit for the databank...very interesting stuff. I would have sworn that it was a photoshop bike, thanks to you and MCMXCIVRS for the explanations and history...outstanding feat of engineering then is what we are looking at to get that much motor into a frame.

The engine in both bikes is an Australian-made Rotec, who produce radial engines for aircraft builders who like the vintage touch. The 7-cylinder Rotec is 31" in diameter and produces 115 bhp, which isn't all that horrendous really. BTW it's a $13K engine. I'm pretty sure the second bike is a Jesse James creation. As for the first one's lack of handlebars, it looks to my eye like it's not finished yet.

Back