• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wanted: Deep Oil Sump

Hmmm

lkchris said:
In comparison, an RT, RS etc. sump is a deep sump. 1981 on. Need oil pump spacer.

Hmmm,
I might already have one then. I have a 92 R100RT. I saw a deep sump on ebay and it looked deeper than mine. Are you saying that 92 R100RT's had deep sumps on them from the factory?

Thanx!
Les

Y'know Les, I switched my airheads to synthetic oil and sold my deep sump oil pans. I sold ,em for $75 each, replaced ,em for $15 each and treated my motors to better oil. Something to consider.

woodnsteel said:
Y'know Les, I switched my airheads to synthetic oil and sold my deep sump oil pans. I sold ,em for $75 each, replaced ,em for $15 each and treated my motors to better oil. Something to consider.

I've always used synth. oil. But I'm thinking Deep sump and synthetic is the way to go. It's hot and Humid down here in the Soth of Florida!

Les

les_garten said:
I've always used synth. oil. But I'm thinking Deep sump and synthetic is the way to go. It's hot and Humid down here in the Soth of Florida!

Les

Maybe so down there. When I had one on my '78, I couldn't get the oil up to temp here in IL in the winter when it was 10 deg F or so. I had a temp guage on the pan.

Well, by 1992, the R247 motor was as developed as it would ever be. I have experienced no ill effects from restoring my early 70's motors to original spec. I truly believe that the extra capacity isn't worth the price of a quart of oil, much less what you would spend to gain extra oil in the sump.

Simpla Fi, JAS

An unpublicized advantage of the deep sumps is that they increase your oil capacity which decreases the percentage of oil contaminants. Lower oil contamination directly leads to longer engine life. Also you can use "cheaper" oils before they reach their oxidation limit.

les_garten said:
Hmmm,
I might already have one then. I have a 92 R100RT. I saw a deep sump on ebay and it looked deeper than mine. Are you saying that 92 R100RT's had deep sumps on them from the factory?

Deeper than the GS.

BUT, I previously assumed R100GS and now you state R100RT, so yes you already have it.

250cc more oil capacity than R100GS, 500cc more capacity than R80G/S with their "flat" sumps drilled for skid plate.

Use of synthetic will provide way more advantage than a deeper sump, without the ground clearance concerns and without concerns of putting aftermarket junk on your engine. IIRC the aftermarket dried up for deep sumps for "touring" BMWs after introduction of the deeper pan in 1981.

lkchris said:
Deeper than the GS.

BUT, I previously assumed R100GS and now you state R100RT, so yes you already have it.

250cc more oil capacity than R100GS, 500cc more capacity than R80G/S with their "flat" sumps drilled for skid plate.

Use of synthetic will provide way more advantage than a deeper sump, without the ground clearance concerns and without concerns of putting aftermarket junk on your engine. IIRC the aftermarket dried up for deep sumps for "touring" BMWs after introduction of the deeper pan in 1981.

Interesting, thanx for the info!

Les

The deep sump does increase oil capacity, but it also decreases ground clearance. Even a medium sized speed bump may cause the sump to crunch down.

One other potential problem is the sump adapter, typically an aluminum spacer that goes between the block and the oil pickup to push the pickup lower in the pan. The bolts that hold the pickup to the block occasionally loosen, with the potential for allowing air to suck into the oil pump. Note: air is not a good lubricant for BMW bearings.

I have the stock sumps on my airheads, and agree with the greater advantage of synthetic oils, although I prefer semi-synthetic, to gain the best properties of both types. Regular oil helps keep the seals expanded. Synthetic oil maintains it's viscosity longer.

However, if you are convinced you really want a deep sump, I have one on the shelf somewhere. It has been slightly modified--with a bite out of one of the fins at the front--the missing piece is somewhere up in the mountains on a steep rocky forest service road. The sump isn't cracked, just a corner of the fin. I could probably find the sump, spacer, etc. and would be willing to pass along to you for the price of shipping. If so, send me an Email.

If you're really anal-retentive, you could either:
a. grind off the fin on the other side to match
b. weld up the missing corner.

pmdave

pmdave said:
The deep sump does increase oil capacity, but it also decreases ground clearance. Even a medium sized speed bump may cause the sump to crunch down.

One other potential problem is the sump adapter, typically an aluminum spacer that goes between the block and the oil pickup to push the pickup lower in the pan. The bolts that hold the pickup to the block occasionally loosen, with the potential for allowing air to suck into the oil pump. Note: air is not a good lubricant for BMW bearings.

I have the stock sumps on my airheads, and agree with the greater advantage of synthetic oils, although I prefer semi-synthetic, to gain the best properties of both types. Regular oil helps keep the seals expanded. Synthetic oil maintains it's viscosity longer.

However, if you are convinced you really want a deep sump, I have one on the shelf somewhere. It has been slightly modified--with a bite out of one of the fins at the front--the missing piece is somewhere up in the mountains on a steep rocky forest service road. The sump isn't cracked, just a corner of the fin. I could probably find the sump, spacer, etc. and would be willing to pass along to you for the price of shipping. If so, send me an Email.

If you're really anal-retentive, you could either:
a. grind off the fin on the other side to match
b. weld up the missing corner.

pmdave

Hi Dave,
Thanx for the Info, but I think I'll pass here. I guess I'll stick with the stock sump and cooler.

Les

Back