Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Deep Oil Sump

Rally Rat

Wanted: Deep Oil Sump

Hello,
    Anybody have a deep oil sump for a 92 R100?

Les

Try Siebenrock

http://www.siebenrock.com/index1.php?sprache=en

I have one on my 1977 R100RS for about 300,000 of it's 412,000 miles at it works well! It will increase your oil capacity by 1 quart as well as cool it!

Darryl
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

Thanks for the link. I bought that and the oil thermostat for the later bikes (lots of short trip riding).

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl
    Try Siebenrock

http://www.siebenrock.com/index1.php?sprache=en

I have one on my 1977 R100RS for about 300,000 of it's 412,000 miles at it works well! It will increase your oil capacity by 1 quart as well as cool it!

Darryl
    Hi Darryl,
    Do you have the Deep sump or the spacer plate for the stock sump? I didn't see the deep sump in their Catalog.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by les_garten
    Hello,
    Anybody have a deep oil sump for a 92 R100?

Les
    In comparison, an RT, RS etc. sump is a deep sump. 1981 on. Need oil pump spacer.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Rally Rat

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris
    In comparison, an RT, RS etc. sump is a deep sump. 1981 on. Need oil pump spacer.
    Hmmm,
    I might already have one then. I have a 92 R100RT. I saw a deep sump on ebay and it looked deeper than mine. Are you saying that 92 R100RT's had deep sumps on them from the factory?

Thanx!
    Les

James.A
    Y'know Les, I switched my airheads to synthetic oil and sold my deep sump oil pans. I sold ,em for $75 each, replaced ,em for $15 each and treated my motors to better oil. Something to consider.

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by woodnsteel
    Y'know Les, I switched my airheads to synthetic oil and sold my deep sump oil pans. I sold ,em for $75 each, replaced ,em for $15 each and treated my motors to better oil. Something to consider.
    I've always used synth. oil. But I'm thinking Deep sump and synthetic is the way to go. It's hot and Humid down here in the Soth of Florida!

Les

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I've always used synth. oil. But I'm thinking Deep sump and synthetic is the way to go. It's hot and Humid down here in the Soth of Florida!

Les
    Maybe so down there. When I had one on my '78, I couldn't get the oil up to temp here in IL in the winter when it was 10 deg F or so. I had a temp guage on the pan.
    R1200GS LC Rallye
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Rally Rat
    It gets pretty cold down here too. Around 70 in February.

Les

James.A
    Well, by 1992, the R247 motor was as developed as it would ever be. I have experienced no ill effects from restoring my early 70's motors to original spec. I truly believe that the extra capacity isn't worth the price of a quart of oil, much less what you would spend to gain extra oil in the sump.

Simpla Fi, JAS

An unpublicized advantage of the deep sumps is that they increase your oil capacity which decreases the percentage of oil contaminants. Lower oil contamination directly leads to longer engine life. Also you can use "cheaper" oils before they reach their oxidation limit.

HI les;
    I have the flow through oil cooler which gives you the one quart extra oil capacity!

Darryl
    Ambassador Emeritus BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    Niagara Riders
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS

Hmmm,
    I might already have one then. I have a 92 R100RT. I saw a deep sump on ebay and it looked deeper than mine. Are you saying that 92 R100RT's had deep sumps on them from the factory?
    Deeper than the GS.

BUT, I previously assumed R100GS and now you state R100RT, so yes you already have it.

250cc more oil capacity than R100GS, 500cc more capacity than R80G/S with their "flat" sumps drilled for skid plate.

Use of synthetic will provide way more advantage than a deeper sump, without the ground clearance concerns and without concerns of putting aftermarket junk on your engine. IIRC the aftermarket dried up for deep sumps for "touring" BMWs after introduction of the deeper pan in 1981.
    Kent Christensen

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl
    HI les;
    I have the flow through oil cooler which gives you the one quart extra oil capacity!
    The BMW cooler provides 250cc extra capacity.
    Kent Christensen