• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"...let there be light!..."

ultracyclist

I am using my rad more for business transportation now than ever before, and I am returning later more frequently, sometimes 11pm.

The headlight on my '02R1150R is a nice start, but in the words of master chef Emmerill Lagasse, we need to "kick it up a notch!"

What do you suggest? What works for you? Please show pic's and websites.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Howard

ps. Last week I burned about $15 worth of fuel in business travels. had I been using my cage, it would have been $55-$65! My fuel savings alone should pay for those lights quickly.

After a $75 fill up of my SUV, I'm also using the bike more now.

I find it scary out there near retail commercial areas, too many soccer moms with cell phones growing out their ears, trying to get to the latest sales.

I'm adding aux lights. PIAAS 1100xs and trail tech micro HIDs (M16). I'm waiting for the bracket I did to come back. I'll post pics (if I can)

I up graded my OEM headlite with a Silver Star. The two PIAAs have 100w draw with purported 170w production. The micro HIDs have a 70w draw with 100w purported production. I should look like a religious experience coming, when lane splitting.

I have a 700 w alternater.

ultracyclist said:
I am using my rad more for business transportation now than ever before, and I am returning later more frequently, sometimes 11pm.

The headlight on my '02R1150R is a nice start, but in the words of master chef Emmerill Lagasse, we need to "kick it up a notch!"

What do you suggest? What works for you? Please show pic's and websites.

Thank you in advance for your help,
Howard

ps. Last week I burned about $15 worth of fuel in business travels. had I been using my cage, it would have been $55-$65! My fuel savings alone should pay for those lights quickly.

What kind of light are you looking for? Do you want to see miles down the road, more to the sides, or better up-close for pot holes and land mines? Different solutions for each, and different costs, too.

SFDOC said:
But if you want to see the difference between Halogen and Xenon you can read this and look at the pictures.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=8845&highlight=ICU

There are kits that will replace your high-beam light with Xenon light but they are not street legal. Doc

There is a kit for a H.I.D. system for Beemers that is streeet legal I think. A couple of local guys around here use it; the dealer informed me that those who have it refer to it as "the eye of GOD." Not trying to steal your thunder or anything, I'm just saying to check into it a little further maybe, that's all. :wave . :type

Clay, no thunder to steal, I have seen factory installed Xenon lights on the Yamaha R-1 for a couple years now and new KTM640 'Street Enduro' so there may be exceptions. But it's after market stuff I'm not sure of legality. In my case they are considered 'Auxiliary' lights and not primary.

I could be wrong, it's not or won't be the first time. More of what I've heard, not what I know? And most cops know even less, when it comes to DOT equipment if it's installed very 'original' looking.

One thing about xenon is since it's a gas they all take about two to three seconds to come on, it's not instant light for sure.

The cheapest ones I know of start at about $350 and go up to $1000+

On the other hand, halogen lights in the 35-55watt range are abundant everywhere with mounting options galore for motorcycles.

...ya know...you guys are alot of fun...but,
let me clarify the type of riding and situations that I will encounter.

First and foremost, I want to use the interstate for short distances at night, and those would be well lit in the city limits. those semi's just barrel at night!

I am trying to use secondary highways, and arterials, because of less traffic. But the down side in using the non-interstate roads is the greater probability of hitting deer, and encountering more intersections, and other crazy people who live in smaller towns where the main entertainment could involve around saloons.

If I am coming back in the dark, I am trying to route myself as straight as possible, as I reserve the twistie routes for the day. Very often there will be a highway that parallels or ambles the same direction as the interstate. I do ride slower at night, in unlighted areas.

Therefore, I want more light out in front, light to the sides, and just maybe, fog cutters.

As long as I have you on the line, is anyone deploying anti-deer sound equipment?

Thank you for your help!

ultracyclist said:
...ya know...you guys are alot of fun...
So are you. :wave

If I am coming back in the dark, I am trying to route myself as straight as possible, as I reserve the twistie routes for the day. Very often there will be a highway that parallels or ambles the same direction as the interstate. I do ride slower at night, in unlighted areas.

Therefore, I want more light out in front, light to the sides, and just maybe, fog cutters.

You want what we all want: MORE LIGHT!! Unfortunatly, IMHO to get there takes a multi-step approach. If this were me, I'd first install an Easternbeaver Company headlight wiring harness, and then go with higher wattage bulbs. Stock headlights are usually well designed, but just don't have quite enough output due to reduced voltage reaching them, and manditory limits on bulb power.

While I was in there installing the headlight harness, I'd also install a harness for some fog lights so I could do step two: install fog lights. :) It sounds to me that most of your riding will not be at warp speeds, but rather in semi-congested areas. It's amazing to me how much it helps the way fog lights fill in the sides and also the "low-beam" area ahead. Personally, I'd start with some cheap PIAA clones and then move up if you're not happy. I installed some nice looking black Harbor Freight PIAA clones ($20/pr on sale) and they work really well for this purpose. My theory is it doesn't necessarly take $150 to build a lens/reflector that throws a big wide swath of light up close.

My guess is these two changes will put you where you want. If not, then setp three will be some long-range driving lights for which I would go PIAA or Hella first time. To get ALL the light you can waaaaay down the road does take some smarts.

As long as I have you on the line, is anyone deploying anti-deer sound equipment?

The only thing I know that really works is the sound of a 30-06, well aimed. :nra

More Fun! This is what I thought you were looking for....

"Headlight Bulbs

6 volt 35/35 watt - Stock bulb for /2, other pre-'70 models $7.00
6 volt 45/45 watt - /5 models only $7.00
6 volt 60/55 watt - H4 Halogen with Ba20 base for /2 (looks original) $25.00 12 volt 60/55 watt - H4 Halogen heavy duty anti-vibration made for hard knocks $10.00
12 volt 100/55 watt - H4 Halogen $12.00
12 volt 60/55 watt - H4 Super White Xenon Gas filled $18.00
12 volt 20 watt - #64115 Halogen Ba9s base, great for daytime running light $12.00"

"Bulbs for just about every possible need-headlight, tail light, turn signals and instruments. Halogen park light bulbs and heavy-duty, vibration resistant H-4 headlight bulbs are great improvements. New H4 "Super White" Xenon Gas too. You want light, we got light ;)"

motorrad elektrik website. (2006) http://www.motoelekt.com/lighting.htm

Hey, Greg...
for the deer, iron sights? Leupold? Swarorvski?

..Or do you just have a person in the side car manning an M34 or M42?

Ride safe,
Howard

ps Please save me a hunk of venison...or a lambchop? :lol

ultracyclist said:
Hey, Greg...
for the deer, iron sights? Leupold? Swarorvski?

..Or do you just have a person in the side car manning an M34 or M42?

Ride safe,
Howard

ps Please save me a hunk of venison...or a lambchop? :lol

Like in a duel, it's your choice of weapons. Personlly, I favor a 12-month season with fully automatic weapons encouraged. Bounty would be paid by the hundred-weight.

This plan would:
a. Greatly reduce the hooved rat population
b. Greatly increase highway safety (see inverse relationship with #a)
c. Provide a nearly free source of high quality protein for starving peoples
d. Provide great entertainment value for hunters
e. Bring down the price of deer-skin clothing
f. Drive animal-rights types freakin' bonkers
g. Give the National Guard some practice time - especially with helicopters
h. Inspire a new prime-time game show called "Deer Strike!"

No need to credit me with the idea. Make it your own and run with it. :gerg

GregFeeler said:
Like in a duel, it's your choice of weapons. Personlly, I favor a 12-month season with fully automatic weapons encouraged. Bounty would be paid by the hundred-weight.

This plan would:
a. Greatly reduce the hooved rat population
b. Greatly increase highway safety (see inverse relationship with #a)
c. Provide a nearly free source of high quality protein for starving peoples
d. Provide great entertainment value for hunters
e. Bring down the price of deer-skin clothing
f. Drive animal-rights types freakin' bonkers
g. Give the National Guard some practice time - especially with helicopters
h. Inspire a new prime-time game show called "Deer Strike!"

No need to credit me with the idea. Make it your own and run with it. :gerg

Already thought up a name for the show....."Survivor....NOT!"

Riderwarehouse has a sale going for some HID lights for motorcycle conversions (for off-road use only due to self leveling issues etc). Cheapest I have seen for a while for single units. Otherwise get someone to go in with you and buy a set of car HIDs from a car store, the ballasts are a little bigger but you get two kits for about $400 and half of that is definitely a savings. Just aim them low and you will still have LOTS of light...lol and a beam profile so sharp you can shave with it...hehehehhee

Back