• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1972 75/5 Bmw

phil

I was driving home from work today and noticed a 1972 BMW 75/5 for sale. It is a one owner. The bike has 70k on it. Its in real good condition. He is asking $2200.00. The bike ran fine. The battery is dead but it started on 2 kicks. He told me it has always been garaged. Is this a deal? I dont have any pics.

Last edited:
It sounds like a buy. Keep in mind that it may need some work. Old bikes tend to be that way. I suspect from the owner's age that it may not have been ridden much in a while. First thing is ask when the last time he put gas in the tank, if not for months, I'd drain and replace with fresh. I've owned my '73 R75 since new, and the most common repair was seals, mostly of the tranny output and rear drive input variety. But that stuff is easy even if you have to have it done by a shop. Carbs may also need re-building, no big deal. Have you bought it yet?

FrankT said:
It sounds like a buy. Keep in mind that it may need some work. Old bikes tend to be that way. I suspect from the owner's age that it may not have been ridden much in a while. First thing is ask when the last time he put gas in the tank, if not for months, I'd drain and replace with fresh. I've owned my '73 R75 since new, and the most common repair was seals, mostly of the tranny output and rear drive input variety. But that stuff is easy even if you have to have it done by a shop. Carbs may also need re-building, no big deal. Have you bought it yet?

I am buying it Monday. He wants cash money ONLY. He is holding it for me.I will get some pictures today.

Pictures of 1972 75/5

It needs some work. Seat is on the orig pan. Its does run great. I will bring it back to perfect running order.

Attachments

• Picture 372-1.jpg
    Picture 372-1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 905
You have the makings of a nice classic there. Some of the personal touches are a bit goofy for my taste. Excellent find!!!

Motard

Motard said:
You have the makings of a nice classic there. Some of the personal touches are a bit goofy for my taste. Excellent find!!!

Motard
My taste also. First thing that goes is the fairing,pipes and seat. I want to make it all orig. With no flaws.

phil said:
My taste also. First thing that goes is the fairing,pipes and seat. I want to make it all orig. With no flaws.

Glad to hear that, may I also suggest the side covers. You can buy a reproduction seat from Eurotechmotorsports. I note from the pics that the fork gaiters are also gone and it appears that a dust cover has been installed over the fork seals (chrome ring at the top of the fork sliders). I believe the original style gaiters are still available.

This bike is EXTREMELY overpriced.

It's a short wheelbase model, which you probably don't want.

Airheads all the way up to the early 1980s can be had for $3k or less, and they're all better than a '72.

Unless you're just looking to look quaint, get a better Airhead.

And, as for looks ... good luck finding the matching battery covers.

And OEM mufflers cost the same for these as they do for an '84 or anything in between.

B.S. /5's are the best. Hey man, buy it for $2200 and I'll come pick it up for $2500. I love "Quaint".

lkchris said:
This bike is EXTREMELY overpriced.

It's a short wheelbase model, which you probably don't want.

Airheads all the way up to the early 1980s can be had for $3k or less, and they're all better than a '72.

Unless you're just looking to look quaint, get a better Airhead.

And, as for looks ... good luck finding the matching battery covers.

And OEM mufflers cost the same for these as they do for an '84 or anything in between.

I have already found the battery covers. Hundred a piece. Mufflers are $400.00. Seat $300.00. To be painted free at my work. Top shock covers $60.00. After a cleaning and a service (cleaning to include paint taken off of valve covers). I will have about $3500.00 total in the bike. Maybe it is to much for this bike. I guess I just like the bike.

C'mon man, IKchris is right, it's a lousy deal. Go ahead and buy it so you can rape me on the deal,.....please.

lkchris said:
That's what counts.

I for one appreciate folks that keep these bikes on the road in original condition.

Nevertheless, here's just one example of what's available for under $3K
http://www.nmbmwmc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1185

Chris, your point is valid, for a "rider" bike. But as a rollling piece of art, that is also a "rider", nothing beats the /5. The first tele fork and last speedo in the headlight nacelle make them special, IMHO.

Phil, I think those diamond tuck battery covers make it worth at LEAST $2200! I believe any 30+ year old running vehicle from the original owner is worth at least $2k, no matter what it is. (Well, maybe not a riding mower, unless it's a John Deer)
:D

geez, does it need paint??? if the original black looks nice,I'd leave it alone. toaster tank models are gettin hard to find, altho it won't go fast or stop good
you know that bike didn't cost 2200 new, but it's nice to see them still on the road.

great deal...

have you tried putting a new battery in and making sure it charges... Doesn't matter at $2200 - an alternator ain't that much. Hope you got it already. ;)

although them funky '70's bar booth nawgahide side panels are gonna have to go, bro!

Back