Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 232

Thread: 1972 75/5 Bmw

  1. #1
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Saint Pete Florida
    Posts
    313

    1972 75/5 Bmw

    I was driving home from work today and noticed a 1972 BMW 75/5 for sale. It is a one owner. The bike has 70k on it. Its in real good condition. He is asking $2200.00. The bike ran fine. The battery is dead but it started on 2 kicks. He told me it has always been garaged. Is this a deal? I dont have any pics.
    Last edited by phil; 10-03-2006 at 09:25 PM.

  2. #2

    Thumbs up

    It sounds like a buy. Keep in mind that it may need some work. Old bikes tend to be that way. I suspect from the owner's age that it may not have been ridden much in a while. First thing is ask when the last time he put gas in the tank, if not for months, I'd drain and replace with fresh. I've owned my '73 R75 since new, and the most common repair was seals, mostly of the tranny output and rear drive input variety. But that stuff is easy even if you have to have it done by a shop. Carbs may also need re-building, no big deal. Have you bought it yet?

  3. #3
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Saint Pete Florida
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankT
    It sounds like a buy. Keep in mind that it may need some work. Old bikes tend to be that way. I suspect from the owner's age that it may not have been ridden much in a while. First thing is ask when the last time he put gas in the tank, if not for months, I'd drain and replace with fresh. I've owned my '73 R75 since new, and the most common repair was seals, mostly of the tranny output and rear drive input variety. But that stuff is easy even if you have to have it done by a shop. Carbs may also need re-building, no big deal. Have you bought it yet?
    I am buying it Monday. He wants cash money ONLY. He is holding it for me.I will get some pictures today.

  4. #4
    James.A
    Guest
    I think $2200 is a steal. Congratulations.

  5. #5
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Saint Pete Florida
    Posts
    313

    Pictures of 1972 75/5

    It needs some work. Seat is on the orig pan. Its does run great. I will bring it back to perfect running order.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Saint Pete Florida
    Posts
    313

    1972 75/5

    Is it worth $2200.00?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #7
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Saint Pete Florida
    Posts
    313

    1972 75/5

    Well? Yes or no $2200.00 should I?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    BOKRIJDER
    Guest
    You have the makings of a nice classic there. Some of the personal touches are a bit goofy for my taste. Excellent find!!!

    Motard

  9. #9
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Saint Pete Florida
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Motard
    You have the makings of a nice classic there. Some of the personal touches are a bit goofy for my taste. Excellent find!!!

    Motard
    My taste also. First thing that goes is the fairing,pipes and seat. I want to make it all orig. With no flaws.

  10. #10
    Stressed Member jmerlino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    879
    Well worth $2200 IMHO. That toaster is a classic!
    --Joe Merlino - Modified '82 R100RT

  11. #11

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by phil
    My taste also. First thing that goes is the fairing,pipes and seat. I want to make it all orig. With no flaws.
    Glad to hear that, may I also suggest the side covers. You can buy a reproduction seat from Eurotechmotorsports. I note from the pics that the fork gaiters are also gone and it appears that a dust cover has been installed over the fork seals (chrome ring at the top of the fork sliders). I believe the original style gaiters are still available.

  12. #12
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    6,320
    This bike is EXTREMELY overpriced.

    It's a short wheelbase model, which you probably don't want.

    Airheads all the way up to the early 1980s can be had for $3k or less, and they're all better than a '72.

    Unless you're just looking to look quaint, get a better Airhead.

    And, as for looks ... good luck finding the matching battery covers.

    And OEM mufflers cost the same for these as they do for an '84 or anything in between.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  13. #13
    James.A
    Guest
    B.S. /5's are the best. Hey man, buy it for $2200 and I'll come pick it up for $2500. I love "Quaint".

  14. #14
    Rally Rat
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Saint Pete Florida
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris
    This bike is EXTREMELY overpriced.

    It's a short wheelbase model, which you probably don't want.

    Airheads all the way up to the early 1980s can be had for $3k or less, and they're all better than a '72.

    Unless you're just looking to look quaint, get a better Airhead.

    And, as for looks ... good luck finding the matching battery covers.

    And OEM mufflers cost the same for these as they do for an '84 or anything in between.
    I have already found the battery covers. Hundred a piece. Mufflers are $400.00. Seat $300.00. To be painted free at my work. Top shock covers $60.00. After a cleaning and a service (cleaning to include paint taken off of valve covers). I will have about $3500.00 total in the bike. Maybe it is to much for this bike. I guess I just like the bike.

  15. #15
    James.A
    Guest
    C'mon man, IKchris is right, it's a lousy deal. Go ahead and buy it so you can rape me on the deal,.....please.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •