Thread: Changing K1200LT Coolant?

Changing K1200LT Coolant?

Okay, I am preparing to change the coolant on a K1200LT in accordance with the service manual. Is this going to be a nightmare?

Im open to any suggestions.

Blocking the slow lane
    I have my LT apart for service now. You might be able to access the radiator cap by just shifting the gas tank back, but so much other stuff needs to come off to slide the gas tank back, you may as well just remove the gas tank so you can change the fuel filter and the air filter too.

Anyway, once all that stuff is off, remove the cap, and drain the system by removing the lower right hand radiator hose. There is a drain screw, but frankly, its easy to strip the water pump thread when reinstalling the screw, so don't bother. Use a large pan, because the system will drain quickly when the hose is pulled off. Replace the lower hose and tighten the clamp.

After the system is drained, then remove the overflow hose at the radiator filler neck, and guide the end near the valve cover. The fluid in the overflow tank will mysteriously flow right out. Then replace the overflow hose.

Fill the system SLOWLY. Just trickle it in. Sometimes you can massage the cooling system hoses to help get the bubbles out of there, but its not required. Fill the system to the bottom of the filler neck, and replace the cap. Then fill the overflow bottle to the MAX line (visible thru the hole under the left saddlebag cover) and check frequently after the first couple of rides. The cooling system will push air out, and then draw back from the overflow bottle after the bike cools, so watch that level in the overflow tank.

That's it.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Very cool tool for this!

I do my own service too on KLT! Radiator change as JD says is all ok, imo. I use something a little different getting fluid back into radiator, though and taking fluid from overflow res.. Get a fuel hose used on outboard motors, to their fuel tanks! These hoses have a bulb for priming fuel flow to outboards. Cut the original clip adaptors for the outboard, from the hose ends and tada, you have a perfect syphon hose, with bulb pump! Works SO good for KLT refill into radiator, without any spilly mess and taking water from overflow resevoir, too. This will also work WITHOUT having to remove tank from KLT,hehehe. Had to pass this on. Boy, are these KLT's fun to work on? Not! Try the "marine" alternative that I've described for a small relief from KLT service blues. Any tips for making these things easier to work on is GOOD....

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear
    I do my own service too on KLT! Radiator change as JD says is all ok, imo. I use something a little different getting fluid back into radiator, though and taking fluid from overflow res.. Get a fuel hose used on outboard motors, to their fuel tanks! These hoses have a bulb for priming fuel flow to outboards. Cut the original clip adaptors for the outboard, from the hose ends and tada, you have a perfect syphon hose, with bulb pump! Works SO good for KLT refill into radiator, without any spilly mess and taking water from overflow resevoir, too. This will also work WITHOUT having to remove tank from KLT,hehehe. Had to pass this on. Boy, are these KLT's fun to work on? Not! Try the "marine" alternative that I've described for a small relief from KLT service blues. Any tips for making these things easier to work on is GOOD....

You're good, Polarbear! das