• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Routing Help from The West

Slablog

Okay, okay...I know my profile says I'm in north Georgia, but I'm going out to Boise and Paonia on my way to Vermont. :dance

My request is this.....Ready?
Mapquest and Yahoo and DeLorme all are sending me, from Denver, up through Chicago and a little through Canada over to northern NY and then to Essex Junction. :dunno

Can some of you world travelers give me a better route...maybe bypassing Chicago to the south, seeing as how I want to ride around the Adirondacks a little before crossing that big lake.??.. :burnout

If you are not in a giant hurry, yet still want to make decent time and avoid the interstate, I would recommend US 36 east from Denver all the way to at least Indianapolis. It becomes I-72 from Hannibal, MO to Decatur Illinois. It is four lane divided across Missouri. Nice two lane across much of Kansas. Sure beats I-70.

Once you get to Indianapolis you can choose different paths to Vermont. One way would be to angle north east and cross into Ontario at Port Huron, MI or Windsor,ON.
Or, continue eastward to Columbus,OH and angle up to Lake Erie and follow it around to Buffalo/Niagra Falls.
If you have never been to Niagra Falls, it is a "must see", plan on about 2 to 4 hours, though to take it all in.

I'm leaving from Maryland and will be coming back across PA. I've always found the trip across NY on the thru-way to be boring to the max. Route 17 is almost as bad. Time permitting, I'll stay south and then go up through the Catskills to the Adirondacks. I used to live in the area, so it will be a nice chance to revisit old riding areas.
Rt 6 across Pa to 220N connecting to 17E is a traditional bike ride. A short ride to Binghamton on 17E, RT12 to Utica, NY and you are in the Adirondacks.
I'd suggest budgeting enough time to enjoy the Adirondack region.

Motard

Statdawg said:
Pa Route 6 is a great road but near Towanda there is suppose to be a major road project.................I plan to scout it out next month as well as 81 ..............Avoid I 80 and 81 in Pennsylavania too many Trucks and projected projects to delay you. I will know next month that I might be doing the Peaks tour as well. Thanks for the aformentioned tips. :bolt

I don't know about PA 6, but last fall as part of a Syracuse (NY) to Lexington (KY) ride I took US 6 across northern PA from Wellsboro to US 219. It was great, a nice road and pretty much had it to myself. US 219 to Dubois and then 119 to Blairsville was also very good.

George Rudd
1990 K100 LT
A liter better than nothing

Same road. I don't know the proper designation, locals call it Rt 6. If one takes a slight side trip at Towanda and crosses the Susquehanna River, there are some beautiful vistas of the river valley, 30 min detour.
This is a road which will cure a bad case of slab fatigue. If the construction project in the Towanda area is a problem, there are plenty of secondary routes. A lot of people ride 6 in the fall. The beautiful autumn foliage is a hit.

Motard

I'm going North from Denver to Rapid City East to Siox Falls North East to Minneapolis then toward Sault St. Marieto pick up 17 to 417 then South around Montreal.Mapsource says around 2400 miles and I miss Chicago,Detroit,Windsor or Cleveland and Buffalo.

Just head east until you hit the Atlantic Ocean then turn North.

Some of the best trips I have taken have just been go where it looks like I should go. If you have time I would recommend that approach.

RT 6 is US 6, there is some construction but not too bad. if you come that way, stop near Wyalusing, at the overlook. there is a nice littl bar there, we go there often. it's on the river side.

My tentative plan involves lots of slab, till I get to the Adirondacks. (Eastern Colorado and Kansas are best seen from the Interstate anyway.)

After Paonia I will visit my brother in Denver Sunday evening. Monday I will run Denver to home (just northeast of Indianapolis) on I-70. This will be an Iron Butt SS1000 leg. The stop at home will give me an opportunity to kiss the dog, pet the wife and do some laundry. Anyone want to join me on this leg?

Then it will be I-70 E to Columbus, I-71 N to Cleveland, I-90 E through PA & NY to Utica. From there several scenic choices are possible through the Adirondacks to Lake Champlain, then cross to Burlington.

John

John Brase said:
\ (Eastern Colorado and Kansas are best seen from the Interstate anyway.) John

This is strictly an urban myth. I-70 is IMHO the WORST way to see Kansas and is the BEST way to NOT see Kansas.

Any of the east-west (non interstate) highways across Kansas are filled with interesting small towns, historical sites, unique and quirky tourist sites, and the highways follow the gentle undulation of the prairie. As one rides along on any of these roads, it is easy to relax and "smell the roses". On I-70, it is white knuckle duking it out with the trucks and "smell the diesel".
The only thing I-70 has going for it is that it IS the fastest way across the state, but the least enjoyable way to traverse this interesting and unique part of the country.
BTW, I am not from Kansas, but have spent many enjoyable hours riding there.

GSTom,

I don't disagree. Some (many) years ago I rode U.S. 36 across KS on my R100RS with my then 12 year old son on the back. We did enjoy the small towns and the ability to camp at the roadside rest stops along the way. This trip, however, I'm looking for a way to include a SS1000 in the plan and this seems the best way to do it. The other possible choice would be Indy to Cheyenne on the first day of the trip and I still may do it that way instead. At this point I just don't know.

John

Back