• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Forum Usability Suggestions

Hi, Admins! First, I want to say I *like* this forum, so don't hurt me, ok? :)

* - When the MOA Forums site is displayed, the login boxes are at the bottom of the page. Can they be moved to make them more obvious?

* - Can we have a logout link on every page?

Thanks for all the hours of effort that putting up a site like this takes!

ctthayer said:

* - When the MOA Forums site is displayed, the login boxes are at the bottom of the page. Can they be moved to make them more obvious?

I don't know.

But we'll find out.

And we're glad you like it.

For log out, I think you're never really more than one or two mouse clicks from the log out. I don't usually log out, since I work off one machine, but just leave the cookies here on my machine. I mark all forums read and then just close my browser. This allows me to automatically log in when I visit the page next time. In some environments, this may not be practical, however.

Attachments

• K76 & K75RS.jpg
    K76 & K75RS.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2
More Categories...

This forum is just starting out, so it doesn't look all that busy, but once it does, it'll be a chore to find information.

How about putting up some main categories like:

Touring, then sub categories for North America, Europe, etc.

R Oilheads, then sub categories like Maintenance, Mods, etc ...the same for main categories for: R Airheads, K models, F models, etc.

Other categories can be added as time goes and a need arises.

Re: More Categories...

Global Rider said:
This forum is just starting out, so it doesn't look all that busy, but once it does, it'll be a chore to find information.

R Oilheads, then sub categories like Maintenance, Mods, etc ...the same for main categories for: R Airheads, K models, F models, etc.

Other categories can be added as time goes and a need arises.

*starts giggling*

Ohhhh, we're way ahead of you. Trust me.

When the content starts to ramp up, we've got all kinds of neat things in store.

Your BMW MOA Rally Forum Team

Re: Re: More Categories...

KBasa said:
*starts giggling*

Ohhhh, we're way ahead of you. Trust me.

When the content starts to ramp up, we've got all kinds of neat things in store.

Your BMW MOA Rally Forum Team

You're scaring me Dave :evil

Greg

Re: Re: Re: More Categories...

Greg said:
You're scaring me Dave :evil

Greg

Didn't you read the FAQ?

When folks signed in, they consented to possessing the following

• French Maid costume
  • Scuba fins
  • Snorkel
  • Fuzzy bunny slippers
  • Cattle prod
  • 1 Qt. BMW Hypoid Lubricant
  • 2 live chickens
  • 2 lbs of PlayDoh
  • 3 packets of Gatorade powdered drink mix

You have all that stuff, right?

:confused:

But of course :thumb

Greg

Attachments

• R1200 top of Pike's Peak (cropped).jpg
    R1200 top of Pike's Peak (cropped).jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 0
Re: Re: Re: Re: More Categories...

KBasa said:
Didn't you read the FAQ?

When folks signed in, they consented to possessing the following

• French Maid costume
  • Scuba fins
  • Snorkel
  • Fuzzy bunny slippers
  • Cattle prod
  • 1 Qt. BMW Hypoid Lubricant
  • 2 live chickens
  • 2 lbs of PlayDoh
  • 3 packets of Gatorade powdered drink mix

You have all that stuff, right?

:confused:

Oh, *Hypoid* !! No wonder the chickens tasted funny when we fried 'em up. It took forever to squeeze all those little tubes of Preparation H...

Attachments

• 4EC88138-3C00-41BF-A201-59D438DA7508.jpg
    4EC88138-3C00-41BF-A201-59D438DA7508.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 0
  • D7E30645-2FB5-4E6A-A553-2B6F15497626.jpeg
    D7E30645-2FB5-4E6A-A553-2B6F15497626.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 0
Re: More Categories...

Global Rider said:

Hi Alex,

Those are really good ideas, and will be considered as we evolve the forums.

MOA forums now has over 300 registered members and the growth rate is explosive. We will be evolving the forums to meet the needs of the community while not creating excessive bureacracy and burden for the volunteers who run the joint.

So, thanks for the suggestions and keep 'em coming!

Regards,
fish

ctthayer said:

I wanted to answer your questions, as near as we can.

We can't move the login boxes at the bottom of the pages. They're more or less hardwired into the code.

Same thing with the logout link.

Sorry, dudes.

:dunno

Re: Re: Forum Usability Suggestions

KBasa said:
We can't move the login boxes at the bottom of the pages. They're more or less hardwired into the code.

Same thing with the logout link.

Sorry, dudes.

:dunno

So, the vBulletin software (nicer than UBB Threads from a user's standpoint, IMO) must have been written by BMW engineers, which makes it the perfect package for this board! :)

Huh, I'm now in edit mode, because I noticed something I really, honestly don't like: After posting the above, I went to my User CP and changed my .sig from "'02DBG" to "'02K1200LT", and it changed it on existing posts also. I think I've noticed the same thing with avatars -- say you started with an avatar of a motorcycle, and made 20 posts with it; then, for whatever reason you choose, you wanted to change it to a spaceship for just one post . It looks like the vBulletin software will change all your your previous-post-avatars to spaceships. I know I made my first several posts without an avatar, and then when I started to use one, the software added the avatar to my earlier posts, too. I just think that whatever changes you make to your profile on Thursday shouldn't change what your profile contained the previous Monday.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Forum Usability Suggestions

ctthayer said:
Huh, I'm now in edit mode, because I noticed something I really, honestly don't like: After posting the above, I went to my User CP and changed my .sig from "'02DBG" to "'02K1200LT", and it changed it on existing posts also. I think I've noticed the same thing with avatars -- say you started with an avatar of a motorcycle, and made 20 posts with it; then, for whatever reason you choose, you wanted to change it to a spaceship for just one post . It looks like the vBulletin software will change all your your previous-post-avatars to spaceships. I know I made my first several posts without an avatar, and then when I started to use one, the software added the avatar to my earlier posts, too. I just think that whatever changes you make to your profile on Thursday shouldn't change what your profile contained the previous Monday.

I believe this comes from the underlying structure, SQL. When you create a post, it creates a couple data items, the message header and the message body. It doesn't really store the whole header, but rather a pointer to your profile. When you change your profile, the pointers all point to this one stored data item.

The upshot of all this is that it makes the database of messages significantly smaller and faster. When we start to have lots and lots of messages these things will make a big difference in your browsing experience.

It's kind of like bikes, smaller, lighter = faster.

:)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum Usability Suggestions

KBasa said:
The upshot of all this is that it makes the database of messages significantly smaller and faster.

I get it, and it's logical to have it work that way. I do wish one could sometimes assume a different avatar persona for just a single post, though -- sort of like punctuation. Just a way to play. :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum Usability Suggestions

ctthayer said:
I get it, and it's logical to have it work that way. I do wish one could sometimes assume a different avatar persona for just a single post, though -- sort of like punctuation. Just a way to play. :D

You could always attach a link to a file on the internet in your post, like this:

antos-kielbasa-d.jpg

:D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Forum Usability Suggestions

KBasa said:
You could always attach a link to a file on the internet in your post, like this:

antos-kielbasa-d.jpg

:D

Too cool! Where'd you get the double-breasted 'stich?? :stick :):):) Oh, and I 'spose I'd better throw in a GD&R, too!

Back