Thread: ABS Plastic repair

ABS Plastic repair

I have a Parabellum faring that is cracking in an area of flexing but not the mounting holes. Its given me many years service. Its ABS plastic, it hasn't broken yet. Can anyone reccomend an adhesive to fix it?

Blocking the slow lane
    I had to repair a K75 standard radiator cover a few weeks back, and just used some epoxy from the auto parts store. Something like that should work ok.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

Hi, Jon,
    I recently had to do the same thing on the K75 I just sold to Paul Glaves (Smokey II). I used a Bondo (brand) fiberglass repair kit I purchased at Pep Boys for about $12. It contained a tube of epoxy, small tube of hardener, a dish, a mixing stick, fiberglass fabric and instructions. It worked fine to do the repair. The outside now needs to be filled, smoothed, sanded and painted for cosmetics, but the piece is plenty strong as is.
    Ride Safe,
    Phil Marvin - El Paso, TX
    '94 K75A/3
    '95 K75RTP

Blocking the slow lane
    I was lucky Phil....my repaired area was hidden. Good thing too, because it was pretty ugly when I was done!
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

I've used this stuff ( see http://plastex.home.att.net ) on all kinds of plastic parts. Works GREAT, better than any type of glue.
    '89 K75S Original Owner
    '94 (Beta) R11RS, ( RIP 12-5-2010 courtesy of blind left turning cage driver ) ....

BillBoyd
    [QUOTE=k75sboy]I have a Parabellum faring that is cracking in an area of flexing but not the mounting holes. Its given me many years service. Its ABS plastic, it hasn't broken yet. Can anyone reccomend an adhesive to fix it?[/QUOTE

The last Parabellum fairing that I owned was made of fiberglass ,
    not ABS . ABS plastic responds well to repairs made
    using Plastic Weld which is like a two part epoxy and is available at
    Wally World . Last week it was $2.25 for a package .

Bill Boyd