• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead '83 R80/RT

remastersjr

Any of you guys have recommendations for our batteries for '83 R80/RT? I've got a WESCO sealed battery now beginning to go bad slowly. I like sealed batteries on my marine applications too but I'm open to new and/or better ideas. Obviously, I want the most CCA I can get balanced with longevity. I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE MODS TO THE BIKE!

I'd just like to hear what you guys are doing for a battery.

Thanks

R100 here.

I still use the wet ones in my older R100 and easily found locally from most battery dealers in larger cities. Mine usually go about 4-5 years without any hassle. The wet ones are less expensive, but require a tad bit more upkeep. Not a big issue, however. All batteries should be kept clean. I use sealed in all other newer bikes I have.

Someone recommended the Odyesy brand of sealed battery. 2/3 's the size and same cranking power.

BMW standard battery.

It will last twice as long as anything else (yes with more maintenance) and fits.

Most aftermarket battery have one or more of following problems.

1. Do not vent through hose but rather through caps, corroding your seat.

2. Are not designed to be engine starting batteries.

3. Do not fit your battery box.

4. Do not last as long as BMW battery (pay me now or pay me later).

I used Yuasa batteries in my old airheads. No complaints with them and they lasted as long or longer than did BMW brand batteries. FWIW BMW never made batteries, someone else did and BMW just had their logo added as well as a hefty price increase. I'm not concerened about the logo on the battery, just function and cost.

Bad advice going on here!

There must be at least 5 companies(guessing!) making the wet batteries still(other than BMW) and are EXACT same size, with vent tubes! It is a very common sized battery, used in many other applications, other than bikes. Fresno/Clovis, CA area has several "Battery Only" shops selling these at 55-65$ price range. Ca. prices too! Probably less in some other areas of the country. Don't support a BMW 95$ (wet)battery, that is NO different. DO support our dealers, otherwise, when possible and when not getting shafted by too high priced batteries! I'm sure some of the other dry units,gel units,etc. are probably a good deal and less a hassle. Use your own judgement and consider your service need, when buying the battery. If you're a very tidy bike owner, a wet one probably suites you just fine, imo...Save some money for a good ride somewhere. If you're a never a care rider and have dirty batteries, buy the less intensive service type. :p

I'm a big fan of the stock batteries.

I like to buy them dry and set them up myself. They seem to last longer that way.

This thread is the first time I've ever seen BMW lead-acid batteries praised- I guess Mareg no longer makes them, because the Mareg battery is, based on the experience of a bunch of guys I know, a real piece of crap.
Two years ago I installed one of those way-overpriced BMW gel batteries made by Exide, and despite zero maintenance, a crash, and even running it down to almost nothing in a charging system failure, it has yet to even flinch and does a good hearty job of spinning the crank and accumulating the juice to run the accessories.

Service tech experience!

Walk around your next rally and look, if you can get a look see at the batteries in bikes and see how many are simply "not" well kept. I've been under the seats, tanks of so many bikes over the years and found the largest majority of riders simply don't ever look at theirs! This is what I call crap. Don't blame the batteries, folks..... The simplist ones are still Aok if one simply maintains it properly, IMHO. Hi tech batteries are better, I know. Basically the reason for the low maintanance ones in the first place is rider/driver abuse of the watered ones. Same with new cars today; the designs are taking all of the owner responsibility out of the equation. Pretty soon, you'll wonder what its like to drive, ride yourself anywhere and be in charge! Happy Trails

Yuasa in one, Wesco in the other...

I replaced the battery in my R100RS with a Yuasa. Then again, it was replacing a Yuasa. Bought it from a local "Batteries Plus" store. Vented correctly, seems to fit fine, etc.

Seems to be working well.

The Wesco was in my "S" when I got it. So far, so good.

Battery neglect

I can tell you from my days in the industrial truck business that batteries are the most neglected components around. On a bike a new one might cost $50 to $100. On electric fork lift trucks, you are talking in the thousands. Just wait until Joe Consumer is driving all electric cars...

Polarbear said:
Don't support a BMW 95$ (wet)battery, that is NO different. ...

They are not the same as the Yuasa batteries you see branded as Interstate, Chalenger, Diehard, etc. The Yuasas are good, but the Mareg (now owned by Exide) have some construction differences. At least they did last time I compared the internals (I used to work for Yuasa).

I have an Oddysey battery in one of my /5's and I am very satisfied with it.

Back