Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: 1100 rs tires

  1. #1

    1100 rs tires

    Hello all again! I am still a newbie so please forgive me for not being able to find any thread that has the answers to my questions!
    I have a 1995 R 1100 RSL. Black. Has older pro pilot Michelin 3s on it that are still soft to the touch and lots of tread. I know. I know.
    Who is making, or providing tires for my model bike? They seem to be made from unobtainiem! I thought I saw a thread a while back about a Michelin rep saying they will provide tires for my bike. The rear being 160/60 r17 seems to be the biggest problem. I知 not going to scrape any pegs with my current ones, and chances are I wouldn稚 even with new ones. I知 sure my thread searches will get better with time and practice! Thanks for your patience!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    #13338 PGlaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    "Big Bend" TX
    Posts
    24,035
    Quote Originally Posted by dwidnall@gmail.com View Post
    Hello all again! I am still a newbie so please forgive me for not being able to find any thread that has the answers to my questions!
    I have a 1995 R 1100 RSL. Black. Has older pro pilot Michelin 3s on it that are still soft to the touch and lots of tread. I know. I know.
    Who is making, or providing tires for my model bike? They seem to be made from unobtainiem! I thought I saw a thread a while back about a Michelin rep saying they will provide tires for my bike. The rear being 160/60 r17 seems to be the biggest problem. I知 not going to scrape any pegs with my current ones, and chances are I wouldn稚 even with new ones. I知 sure my thread searches will get better with time and practice! Thanks for your patience!
    Unless your rear wheel is not stock you should be looking for an 18 inch tire - specifically a 160/60-R18. There are several brands models available.

    Purely as examples see this Revzilla page:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-...lemished=false
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by dwidnall@gmail.com View Post
    Hello all again! I am still a newbie so please forgive me for not being able to find any thread that has the answers to my questions!
    I have a 1995 R 1100 RSL. Black. Has older pro pilot Michelin 3s on it that are still soft to the touch and lots of tread. I know. I know.
    Who is making, or providing tires for my model bike? They seem to be made from unobtainiem! I thought I saw a thread a while back about a Michelin rep saying they will provide tires for my bike. The rear being 160/60 r17 seems to be the biggest problem. I知 not going to scrape any pegs with my current ones, and chances are I wouldn稚 even with new ones. I知 sure my thread searches will get better with time and practice! Thanks for your patience!
    I知 having the same issue with tires, as the Michelin PR 3 or 4 in 160/60-18 is unobtanium.

    I just ordered a Metzeler in the correct size. Not crazy about Metzelers, but maybe they have improved since I last used the, around the turn of the century. Also, Pirelli make the Angel series, that should be available in Sport Touring version.
    2000 R1100 RS
    1983 R100
    2009 Jaguar XK

  4. #4

    My bad

    My bad. 18 inch it is for the rear!
    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Registered User 6322's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riggins, ID
    Posts
    826
    I ended up with a set of Metzler Z8 Road Techs for my last set. So far so good. I did prefer the Michelins for the previous 100,000 miles on my RS though. It seems like the Michelins had reasonable grip in the dry and wet as well as good longevity. The Metzlers have good grip, wet or dry, but not the longevity, at least that痴 my experience. Anymore, it痴 not so much a matter of selection as much as what痴 available. Good luck with your choice and enjoy that RSL.
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '93 K1100LT, '00 R1100RS

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by 6322 View Post
    I ended up with a set of Metzler Z8 Road Techs for my last set. So far so good. I did prefer the Michelins for the previous 100,000 miles on my RS though. It seems like the Michelins had reasonable grip in the dry and wet as well as good longevity. The Metzlers have good grip, wet or dry, but not the longevity, at least that痴 my experience. Anymore, it痴 not so much a matter of selection as much as what痴 available. Good luck with your choice and enjoy that RSL.
    That is good to hear, as my RS has had about 5 sets of Michelins.

    One thing that I liked about the Michelin痴, is that they gave a more comfortable ride than the previous Pirelli angels.
    2000 R1100 RS
    1983 R100
    2009 Jaguar XK

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Unless your rear wheel is not stock you should be looking for an 18 inch tire - specifically a 160/60-R18. There are several brands models available.

    Purely as examples see this Revzilla page:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-...lemished=false
    You, of course, are entirely correct about my wheel size!
    But although the sizes are listed, the availability is not there it seems. I can find a rear for the pirelly and a front for the metzeler (or maybe the other way around) but pairs are not easily found. What is with Michelin and others? Are they giving up on our bike’s one at a time? I don’t understand.. anyway thanks Mr. Glaves for the help.
    Doug

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Unless your rear wheel is not stock you should be looking for an 18 inch tire - specifically a 160/60-R18. There are several brands models available.

    Purely as examples see this Revzilla page:
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-...lemished=false
    You, of course, are entirely correct about my wheel size!
    But although the sizes are listed, the availability is not there it seems. I can find a rear for the pirelly and a front for the metzeler (or maybe the other way around) but pairs are not easily found. What is with Michelin and others? Are they giving up on our bike’s one at a time? I don’t understand.. anyway thanks Mr. PGlaves for the help.
    Doug

  9. #9
    Neglected Bike Adopter
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    310
    The answer is yes -- Michelin has given up on making 18 inch rear tires for anything but cruisers . There are too many other newer motorcycles that have 17-inch rears for Michelin to ignore, and they don't want to spend R and D money on a fairly small market segment.

    The one company I've seen that keeps making new models for our bikes is Bridgestone. Their T32 EVO came out two years ago in sizes that fit our Oilheads and it seems like a fine tire. They certainly charge a premium price for it.

    When I bought my R850R about two years ago I noticed, like you, that there were only 7 or so options for matching tire sets with the stock wheels. I'm fine with this as all those tires are within my usage needs and I usually have no trouble finding them from reputable sellers on Ebay like Chapparral and Motomentum.

    If you want much easier tire purchases and have to have Michelins, you have to swap to the newer 5-spoke Oilhead wheels. They're 17 inch front and rear. The rear wheel from the flying-brick K1200 GT/LT models with its lug bolts are a direct and easy bolt-on swap. The front gets more complex because of the brake hardware swaps, if you care about your wheels matching.
    Owner of the saddest 1997 R850R you ever did see, a less sad 1996 R1100RT, and a fairly happy 1980 Honda CB750K.

  10. #10
    Registered User m_stock10506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Trinity, NC
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by dwidnall@gmail.com View Post
    You, of course, are entirely correct about my wheel size!
    But although the sizes are listed, the availability is not there it seems. I can find a rear for the pirelly and a front for the metzeler (or maybe the other way around) but pairs are not easily found. What is with Michelin and others? Are they giving up on our bike痴 one at a time? I don稚 understand.. anyway thanks Mr. PGlaves for the help.
    Doug
    I wouldn稚 break a sweat about using different brands for the front and rear. Obviously, the still have to be for the same type of ride. Modern tires are so good now, they all will out perform just about every one of us. I use the Pirelli Angel GT on the rear of my 1100RT. Either the Dunlop RS4 or the Michelin 4 GT on the front. Personally, I found the Pirelli matching front wore out too fast.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    EAST BAY FL
    Posts
    239
    I just put the Pirelli Angels on my rear. . Not crazy about the Chinese manufacture though. Going to need a front soon. Lots more choices for the front. Thinking Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT , $180 on Amazon. The Continental ContiMotion are 85, less than half. Are the Michelin that much better for a 1100rt?
    Last edited by eastbay; 08-04-2023 at 02:23 PM.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbay View Post
    I just put the Pirelli Angels on my rear. . Not crazy about the Chinese manufacture though. Going to need a front soon. Lots more choices for the front.
    Stay away from the Avon Storm series. I mounted them to my RS, and the front wore out at 4500 miles. The rear still shows 40-50% tread
    2000 R1100 RS
    1983 R100
    2009 Jaguar XK

  13. #13

    Thumbs up R1100RSL tires

    I recently inherited a 1995 R1100RSL and had challenges finding the rear tire as well - it seems all sportbikes have now standardized on 17" wheels.
    I found that Bridgestone has a series for this bike (Battlax) with multi-compound rubber, so you get great mileage on flat roads and and better grip on the twisties. I only got 6K out of the set, but they were great in the rain and with hard cornering.

  14. #14
    I have Continental Road Attack 3痴 on mine and they池e awesome.

  15. #15
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    4,953
    Quote Originally Posted by massparanoia View Post
    I have Continental Road Attack 3痴 on mine and they池e awesome.
    Excellent choice.

Similar Threads

  1. Winter tires/Summer tires?
    By R65_Steve in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2018, 06:11 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-09-2018, 01:45 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 04:58 PM
  4. Tires, tires and more tires
    By punkasskid in forum Airheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2010, 02:04 AM
  5. Tech info on 1100 GS
    By GregInBoulder in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2003, 08:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •