• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT fairing

jammess

Jammess
I am thinking about removing the lower sections (lowers) of the fairing on my R100RT in an attempt to improve cooling. I also wonder if this would affect handling. I have owned an R100/7 and never noticed heat from the engine on my legs to the extent that I do on the RT. Wonder if anybody has any info or thoughts on this idea.

I've taken off the lowers from my R80RT every summer as long as I can remember. I never noticed any handling changes.

Dave H
San Antonio, Tx

Have you put the summer lower panel on? There are two different varieties of center panel for the lower. Adding the heavily ventilated summer one helps quite a bit. They work on the RS too.

Red100RT said:
I have owned an R100/7 and never noticed heat from the engine on my legs to the extent that I do on the RT. Wonder if anybody has any info or thoughts on this idea.

Apples and oranges.

You didn't state year of your RT, but chances are it has a nikasil engine which sheds heat much more than the iron engine of your 100/7.

Removing the lowers is tried by lots of guys--don't expect miracles.

Kent, my R100RT is an '81. And I do recall the vented center panel now that you mention it. I have a new, better I hope, side stand on order and when I receive it I will remove lowers at the same time that way I remove exhaust system only once. I figure removing lowers can't hurt the heat problem and if the handling is not affected great. :brad

Interesting!

Interesting between the two metals used in cylinders and heat! I never thought about it much and wonder if in fact the newer engines do run hotter. Iron /7 vs. newer materials in cylinder. My /7 never seems to be an issue over lower leg, feet for heat. On hot,hot summer days, it does get a bit more noticable, but not bad. Its funny you mention taking the lowers OFF. I did this on my KLT1200 and I like it much better this way. The heat was not the reason, however. I struck an animal and broke the lowers. After removing them, the bike appeared to be better looking without them, imo. The KLT does seem to stay cooler in the engine department and I can SEE my engine. I like it this way! :thumb

Polarbear said:
Interesting between the two metals used in cylinders and heat! I never thought about it much and wonder if in fact the newer engines do run hotter.

No, the new engines run cooler because they shed heat better. The rider runs hotter!

G/S would never have happened without Nikasil.

Old engines just put the heat in the oil. I have 70k miles on my '84 RS purchased new, and it's never required oil between changes. I hardly ever check it anymore.

Red100RT said:
I am thinking about removing the lower sections (lowers) of the fairing on my R100RT in an attempt to improve cooling. I also wonder if this would affect handling.

I have an 88 R100RT, and I removed the lowers about a year ago, and haven't put them back on. I enjoy riding the bike more with them off. I do think it improves airflow over the cylinders with them off, and I haven't noticed any difference in handling. I find that I have more foot room with the lowers off. Also, I think the bike looks better with the lowers off. The lowers look like an after thought.

Back