• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help! 2023 R1250RT - OEM Topcase available with central locking operation?

lederman

Sorry to be so needy but I have problem. I included this question in a multiple part thread that covered one part but not this part so I am starting this new one.

I bought this motorcycle and included a top case in the deal. The dealership tells me the OEM BMW topcase does not have the central locking feature. They say they opened a file with BMW and were told the OEM, color matched top case is not available with a lock that is operated with the central locking system.

Is this true?

If an OEM electronically operable top case is available does any one know what part number I should be referencing?

Does BMW Motorrad have customer service contact person I can call to get definitive answer? Where should I look for that?

The dealership is so busy I'm not sure they are trying very hard but maybe they are right. I corresponded with one guy in Europe that says his top case does actuate with the central locking. BUt maybe that's a European thing. I'm in the US.

Thanks for your help!!

Sorry to be so needy but I have problem. I included this question in a multiple part thread that covered one part but not this part so I am starting this new one.

I bought this motorcycle and included a top case in the deal. The dealership tells me the OEM BMW topcase does not have the central locking feature. They say they opened a file with BMW and were told the OEM, color matched top case is not available with a lock that is operated with the central locking system.

Is this true? This doesn't sound correct at all, you should be able to buy either one with central locking or without. What did you buy and what color is your bike?

If an OEM electronically operable top case is available does any one know what part number I should be referencing? The part number will depend on the color of the top case.

Does BMW Motorrad have customer service contact person I can call to get definitive answer? Where should I look for that?Yes your dealer should able to supply you with that.

The dealership is so busy I'm not sure they are trying very hard but maybe they are right. I corresponded with one guy in Europe that says his top case does actuate with the central locking. BUt maybe that's a European thing. I'm in the US.

Thanks for your help!!

See response above

I just recently (last month) purchased a new top box for my '20 RT, color matched, with central locking and I added the factory brake light option from a dealer in the UK. Even with shipping to the US, it was ~ 1300 US, so much cheeper than ordering from a US dealer. So yes, they are available if a bit pricey $$$$!

Your dealer is misinformed. My 2023 RTs top case works with the central locking system.

Thanks. The dealer has received the case and I basically begged the parts manager to look in the box to see if there was a cord that would indicate it has some electronic attachment. This is after I found the part number advertised on a different retailer's site. Sure enough, the case is the same part number. He looked in the box and yes, it has an electrical cord. Friday when I go in for my 600 mile service they will instal it. If it does not work with the central locking I'll start over. Thanks for your response.

Thanks. The dealer has received the case and I basically begged the parts manager to look in the box to see if there was a cord that would indicate it has some electronic attachment. This is after I found the part number advertised on a different retailer's site. Sure enough, the case is the same part number. He looked in the box and yes, it has an electrical cord. Friday when I go in for my 600 mile service they will instal it. If it does not work with the central locking I'll start over. Thanks for your response.

Isn't much to install, place it on the rear rack, turn the handle under the carpet to lock it to the bike then past the wire thru the rear of the bike to be connected under the passenger seat. They will need to key the lock so you could use your key vs. the central locking feature. Hope you enjoy the case and Congratulations on your new bike!

Isn't much to install, place it on the rear rack, turn the handle under the carpet to lock it to the bike then past the wire thru the rear of the bike to be connected under the passenger seat. They will need to key the lock so you could use your key vs. the central locking feature. Hope you enjoy the case and Congratulations on your new bike!

It will take an hour charge to R&R the seat to hook up the wire!:banghead

A few years back I bought a new Harley. It was in the shop having "setup" done and I bought a rider's back rest. I asked if they could slap it on quick as they had the seat off anyway. "Sure, for $100, labor." I told them they had half the job done with the seat removed, but they would not budge. I took it home and put in on myself in 30 minutes.

A few years back I bought a new Harley. It was in the shop having "setup" done and I bought a rider's back rest. I asked if they could slap it on quick as they had the seat off anyway. "Sure, for $100, labor." I told them they had half the job done with the seat removed, but they would not budge. I took it home and put in on myself in 30 minutes.

Usually the I see this I ask- "Do you really think this is fair"? I also usually see this from a "corporate" owned shop. If a dealership still has an onsite owner, things seem to be more "friendly".

OM

Usually the I see this I ask- "Do you really think this is fair"? I also usually see this from a "corporate" owned shop. If a dealership still has an onsite owner, things seem to be more "friendly".

OM

Oh boy, this gets me going!

This was from a on site owner, and he was worse than the employees. It was the last bike I bought from him and he was a penny pinching nut.

He could be your best friend, or your worst enemy based on how much money you spent there. I figured it out shortly after I bought my first HD there. I had friends that bought into the Harley Davidson cool-aid and spent tons of money at that dealer and they were in his circle of "friends". People didn't see they were being suckered in by him. As long as you spent tons of money with him, he was your best buddy. Stop spending money with him and you didn't exist.

I knew a couple that bough all their gear, all the service work, all new bikes from this dealer. They bought a new SE Electra Glide every two years. $40,000 or more in later years. They traded twice in one year because when the new model year came out they just had to have a new bike because of the new color paint. One would think they had a crap load of money but I know of their financial situation and I can not believe they spend money like that. put it this way, today they are living off SS and his union pension. They spent all their 401K on motorcycles over the years. I could go on to explain, but that would be a mini novel. they were in love with the guy and he was with them simply because they spent tons of money there.

After that first bike purchase I bought my second motorcycle from another dealer and saved $2,000. I gave him a chance to lower his price and he refused. When when he found out I bought elsewhere he was pissed because I didn't give him a second chance to make the deal. I reminded him he told me that the offer he made was absolutely the best deal he could make. \ I wasn't exactly in his circle before, and certainly wasn't after! The thing that killed me is the guy retired a multi millionaire, like that one bike deal would have bankrupted him. He was working the public to gain more business for himself, plain and simple. It got more obvious the farther away one got from him. Everything he did was to sell more motorcycles and crap from his dealership. I ran into him a few months ago and said hello as I walked by. He just glared at me!

I found out from people that worked for him that he had family on the payroll and they never set foot in the place. He had grand children getting paid for 40 hours a week, years after years getting regular paychecks and they never worked there. Then the people that worked there could not get a raise because "Money was tight!" while he was padding his family's pockets. Crazy stuff!

I found out from people that worked for him that he had family on the payroll and they never set foot in the place. He had grand children getting paid for 40 hours a week, years after years getting regular paychecks and they never worked there.

Income tax evasion is a Federal felony.

Topcase has been installed and of course it works perfectly with the central locking. Thanks for all the considerate replies.

I don't see the issue as long as they did proper withholding on the paychecks.

Is it illegal to pay someone not actually working for the business?

It’s an “old trick” to pay “family” to “work” and then the business owner to keep the money. It’s a “tax dodge” in that proceeds paid, especially in the case of a minor, as the tax rate is less.
OM

I don't see the issue as long as they did proper withholding on the paychecks.

Is it illegal to pay someone not actually working for the business?

It is shown as a business expense, thus reducing profit and income tax liability.

It is shown as a business expense, thus reducing profit and income tax liability.

I understand that, but he was actually paying out the money to his relatives. The only issue was they did not work for the company.

I am not certain that is illegal.

Is this true?

If an OEM electronically operable top case is available does any one know what part number I should be referencing?

Does BMW Motorrad have customer service contact person I can call to get definitive answer? Where should I look for that?

Thanks for your help!!
Hi. My Racing Metallic Blue 2022 R1250RT with add on matching top case (ordered when I ordered the bike and installed by dealership before I took delivery) has central locking and a brake light and it works fine.

Steve (MN, USA)

Back