• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 43,500 miles. Clutch life? How long before it needs replacing?

That depends on so many variables it would be very difficult to give you even a semi-accurate guesstimate.

It's a wet clutch, so if your riding style doesn't demand "extreme" usage, you'll probably get double the miles you already have (or more).

I have a 2014 RT with 60K miles. Lately my clutch has been slipping when I ride aggressively. If I'm doing 70 and want to accelerate hard when passing the RPM's will increase before the bike responds. I'm going to have the clutch replaced this fall. I checked with three different BMW motorcycle dealers about doing the repair and the prices varied wildly. The highest was $4000 and the lowest was $1100. I trust the dealer with the $1100 quote the most. The thing is it'll be a 1200 mile ride. I guess I'll be visiting my brother for a few days this fall!

One of my friends has a '16 RS with over 90,000 miles, another friend with a '16 RS has almost 80,000 miles. Neither has given any thought to their clutch. Unless you are abusing it, it should last well over 100K miles.

Frank

The highest was $4000 and the lowest was $1100. I trust the dealer with the $1100 quote the most.
At those prices I would be highly motivated to replace the clutch myself. It is too easy a job to pay that much.
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQqsR7pfdO4

Rekluse clutch pack for $659: https://rekluse.com/product/torq-drive-clutch-adventure/ . I am not necessarily endorsing their clutch kit, just using the price for reference. I do have a Rekluse on one of my dirt bikes.

Last edited:
. I checked with three different BMW motorcycle dealers about doing the repair and the prices varied wildly. The highest was $4000 and the lowest was $1100. I trust the dealer with the $1100 quote the most.

Maybe they got $4,000 by accidentally looking up the procedure for a 2013 R1200RT where you split the engine in two.

Most of my riding is commuting from suburbs to urban setting in Las Vegas. Year round.

I have owned three RTs with a wet clutch: 14RT 109K+miles , 18RT 111K+ miles and my current 21RT with 54K miles and never have had a problem with the clutch on any of them. So I think you'll be fine.

I have a 2014 RT with 60K miles. Lately my clutch has been slipping when I ride aggressively. If I'm doing 70 and want to accelerate hard when passing the RPM's will increase before the bike responds. I'm going to have the clutch replaced this fall. I checked with three different BMW motorcycle dealers about doing the repair and the prices varied wildly. The highest was $4000 and the lowest was $1100. I trust the dealer with the $1100 quote the most. The thing is it'll be a 1200 mile ride. I guess I'll be visiting my brother for a few days this fall!

It depends on how many parts will need to be changed. At 60K miles I would suspect only the clutch plates need replacement. OEM plate kit can be bought for $500. The complete clutch is around $2,000. Add the price of oil and filter.

I would guess even an amateur mechanic could replace the complete clutch easily in an afternoon, someone with experience in less than a couple hours. All your quotes seem extreme to me. $500 for clutch plates, $50 for oil and filter. Out of $1100 that leaves over $500 for a couple hours labor!

I would do it myself!

At those prices I would be highly motivated to replace the clutch myself. It is too easy a job to pay that much.
See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQqsR7pfdO4

Rekluse clutch pack for $659: https://rekluse.com/product/torq-drive-clutch-adventure/ . I am not necessarily endorsing their clutch kit, just using the price for reference. I do have a Rekluse on one of my dirt bikes.

Thanks for those links.

Both got bookmarked.

I have used Barnett Scorpion Packs on other bikes. They list nothing for a 1200 BMW, but 1000 CC is there.

The video proofs out to me that it is a very easy procedure for later year bikes. The compression of the front end answered the only question I had looking at it. How the heck do you get those top bolts? And the torque sequence was a bit of a eye opener also.

I never looked in my Service DVD or Haynes as I had never really heard that a clutch was an issue with these bikes. I don"t often read of a clutch failure or I just have missed it over the years.

I wonder if those BMW Demo guys go through clutches? I mean they do stuff on a lot of BMW bikes that is just amazing! I know they make you wonder if they are going to stop when your in the front row of one of those demos. I have flinched, not going to lie.

Well another week and some I can see if I will flinch this year at the 50th :usa

What happened to the crusty old service managers that worked their way up to the service manager position because they had actually done work on vehicles and had ascended to the position?

It seems rather tough out there in the world of repair services.

OM

What happened to the crusty old service managers that worked their way up to the service manager position because they had actually done work on vehicles and had ascended to the position?

OM

I agree with that for sure.

In my day I watched guys work their way "up" in many trades.

That is the guy I want to do my work, or at least, look me in they eye and promise me that my service will be as expected.

As everyone ages out, in all the trades, we are going to see this more and more.

I will not beat a dead horse, but I am so happy I can keep and maintain what I drive, and what I ride. And I have the information to do so.

That said, there is NOTHING you need to do that is not in a You Tube video these days :)

OM

Today they are looking for electrical engineers or folks with a couple of years of electronics tech school. The guys who got hired away from John Deere or Case to come work on the new /5 series are mostly long gone. (Actually, the two I personally knew quit when the classic K bikes first came out.)

I have/work on equipment old enough it doesn’t need any power (12v) to run through computer controlled equipment. Quitting working on new equipment could be a choice but I don’t mind learning new stuff/systems.
OM

I looked at the procedure in the bmw repair manual and I did see a couple of special tools listed there.

For anyone who has actually done the job themselves: are those special tools actually needed? If so how much did you pay for them?

The job itself looks pretty easy to me. I do all of my own maintenance already, and as with that, the biggest challenge appears to be attention to detail and working methodically.

I looked at the procedure in the bmw repair manual and I did see a couple of special tools listed there.

For anyone who has actually done the job themselves: are those special tools actually needed? If so how much did you pay for them?

The job itself looks pretty easy to me. I do all of my own maintenance already, and as with that, the biggest challenge appears to be attention to detail and working methodically.

I can't answer the question, but I have worked on all sorts of vehicles that listed special tools to do the job and very rarely needed any. Often it is a tool to keep the engine from spinning over, or a stubby socket, or some measuring device.

I would take a crack at it and not even look at the shop manual for anything other than bolt torques.

Back