• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2023 R1250RT - 2 separate questions

lederman

Thank for looking at my questions. I took delivery of this new motorcycle this past Monday. So far it is great and this forum has been helpful. My dealer is not huge or even a dedicated BMW dealer and is so busy it is hard to get questions answered with confidence. That's why I'm asking here.

1. I have a color matching BMW top case on order, the dealership tells me they don't see that it will operate with the central locking system. Is this true? Can anyone tell me the part numbers that they need to be ordering for it to work with the central locking system? Is there a support number to BMW that can answer this and other questions? (I'll look for that next.)

2. I didn't receive a "Spare Key" or "RFID plastic key" in my purchase stuff. My brother has very new BMWs and says he received a plastic key that he stashes on the bike in case he looses the main key fob. Should I have received a plastic emergency RFID enabled key?

That's all for now, thank you for your kind attention.

Josh
LeClaire, Iowa

I think there are two 49 liter top case options: the older one is cheaper but doesn't have the power locking. I don't have the exact prices right now, but the older case is under $1000, while the newer is over $1600. You might check RealOEM.com for part numbers.

You should have gotten the plastic key.

One of the Moderators will bump this up to the Wethead section shortly.
Good luck.
OM

2. I didn't receive a "Spare Key" or "RFID plastic key" in my purchase stuff. My brother has very new BMWs and says he received a plastic key that he stashes on the bike in case he looses the main key fob. Should I have received a plastic emergency RFID enabled key?

Josh
LeClaire, Iowa

You should have received a plastic emergency key.
Take a look in the plastic packet that has your Rider Manual and other information.

Last edited:
You should have received a plastic emergency key.
Take a look in the plastic packet that has your Rider Manual and other information.

I was reading in another thread on MOA or on the K1600 forum in the last couple of weeks that the ongoing chip shortages is affecting electronic keys too, and not just a problem for BMW. Apparently, the plastic key is not being shipped with some new bikes. I hear that some have been able to order extra/replacement keys, while for others, their orders have been cancelled.

In normal times you should have received a plastic key and a one fob.

My 2022 R1250RT with add on matching top case and central locking works fine

Thank for looking at my questions. I took delivery of this new motorcycle this past Monday. So far it is great and this forum has been helpful. My dealer is not huge or even a dedicated BMW dealer and is so busy it is hard to get questions answered with confidence. That's why I'm asking here.

1. I have a color matching BMW top case on order, the dealership tells me they don't see that it will operate with the central locking system. Is this true? Can anyone tell me the part numbers that they need to be ordering for it to work with the central locking system? Is there a support number to BMW that can answer this and other questions? (I'll look for that next.)

Josh
LeClaire, Iowa

Hi Josh,

I have a 2022 Racing Blue Metallic R1250RT with add on matching top case and the central locking works fine. However, as another poster mentioned, it was about $1600, not the cheaper one. It also has an integrated brake light that was another couple hundred bucks. All worth it for convenience and safety.

Steve

Hi Josh,

I have a 2022 Racing Blue Metallic R1250RT with add on matching top case and the central locking works fine. However, as another poster mentioned, it was about $1600, not the cheaper one. It also has an integrated brake light that was another couple hundred bucks. All worth it for convenience and safety.

Steve

Oh, and you should have received a plastic spare key with a chip in it to be carried at all times in case your main FOB/Electronic key fails.

Steve

Hi Josh,

Steve

I read this post and thought, "There's no way I spent $1600+$200 for the top case on my 2022 RT." So I looked up my invoice - $1200 for the large top case installed with the brake light. I did buy it at the same time I bought the bike, so anyone buying something like this in the future, I would push hard for a discount on any accessories bought at the time of the bike's sale.

Back