• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wethead coolant- old BMW stock vs new

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I used to have a 96 BMW 328i, and I have 3/4 of gallon remaining of coolant (this is BMW branded coolant). Does anyone know if the coolant for my old car is the same stuff and what's used in our bikes? I would think it could be the same stuff, but it's also possible BMW modified the coolant since my car and for motorcycle engines. Anyone know how to or where to check?

I used to have a 96 BMW 328i, and I have 3/4 of gallon remaining of coolant (this is BMW branded coolant). Does anyone know if the coolant for my old car is the same stuff and what's used in our bikes? I would think it could be the same stuff, but it's also possible BMW modified the coolant since my car and for motorcycle engines. Anyone know how to or where to check?

Coolant is coolant. As long as its compatible with aluminum, which I'm sure BMW coolant is. I hope the stuff you have isn't 27 years old (1996). :D

It is what I use, and a lot cheaper at the auto dealer compared to the motorcycle dealer.

Coolant is coolant. As long as its compatible with aluminum, which I'm sure BMW coolant is. I hope the stuff you have isn't 27 years old (1996). :D

I have to respectfully disagree on coolant, at least in today’s market. Decades ago, yes—coolant was pretty uniform. But coolants have changed—better living through chemistry, I guess—and we have OAT coolants, HOAT coolants, and more. One used to be able to tell which was which by color, but that’s gone out the window as well as there’s no color standardization among coolant manufacturers. And since many of the modern-day coolants are of incompatible formulations, mixing them can result in gelling, clogged radiators, stripping off of the protective layer laid down by the original coolant, and other issues.

The BMW coolant is really good but I have no idea if it’s the same formulation as their car coolant. Coolant is one of the few areas where I just swallow hard and buy the Motorrad sauce, only because I have no idea who makes it and what other coolants would be compatible.

Best,
DeVern

I would skip this particular risk and purchase the correct/current coolant.

I will add a bit to the title for clarity.

OM

Thanks, I was trying to avoid a last minute trip to the dealer to top off the coolant before I leave tomorrow. Better safe than sorry though.

I have to respectfully disagree on coolant, at least in today’s market. Decades ago, yes—coolant was pretty uniform. But coolants have changed—better living through chemistry, I guess—and we have OAT coolants, HOAT coolants, and more. One used to be able to tell which was which by color, but that’s gone out the window as well as there’s no color standardization among coolant manufacturers. And since many of the modern-day coolants are of incompatible formulations, mixing them can result in gelling, clogged radiators, stripping off of the protective layer laid down by the original coolant, and other issues.

The BMW coolant is really good but I have no idea if it’s the same formulation as their car coolant. Coolant is one of the few areas where I just swallow hard and buy the Motorrad sauce, only because I have no idea who makes it and what other coolants would be compatible.

Best,
DeVern

And so, today, I learn something new. :thumb

Have a safe trip, Jeff !

If it is Lifetime, and from a BMW auto dealer, it would be fine. Now 20 year old maybe not, but if from recent years, it will be fine.

Think of your 2013 BMW RT that the coolant has never been changed. Do you think the formula for Lifetime Coolant has changed in the last 10 years? I do not. As long as it is BMW it will be fine. I am sure other brands are safe also, but I find the cost at the auto dealer is something I can live with.

Greetings. I'd like to respectfully weigh in on all things BMW OEM. Some things yes, but coolant, oil, crush washers...if they meet specs then use a non-branded item and save $.

For this antifreeze coolant thread: my 2020 R1250RT Rider's Manual does not specify a coolant (unlike engine oil - BMW Advantec...which is a whole other topic). So I went to BMW Parts Fiche for R1250RT coolant section - hard parts shown but no AF. Searched the Fiche and BMW Coolant Quart P/N 82142209769 at $10.77 came up. Not in stock - order only. I searched the P/N online and up came quart size with correct P/N on the bottle, available at BMW car dealers...fits ALL Beemers!
- The key here...BMW AF specifies ASTM D3306 on the bottle.
- In quarts mixed 50/50 = $21.54/gallon

Or, Walmart sells Peak European 50/50 Blue = $18.95/gallon.
- Peak specifies ASTM D3306 on the bottle.
- Probably find a Walmart or Autozone closer than a BMW car/mc dealer.
BMW AF-ASTM D3306.jpg

Back