• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips for Repairing Scratched Lower Body Panels

Hi All,

I am sure this is a common question so apologies if this is redundant. I have a few lower plastic panels, namely the black engine spoiler on a 2016 r1200rt that have taken some scrapes on the lower edge.

Has anyone had a body shop fix these? I am handy but my attempts at sanding it out to repaint wasn't stellar to say the least. At $400+ for a new one, any other solution must be less expensive.

Thanks!
Panel1.jpg

Last edited:
What bike?
Can you post a picture?
A lot of the black plastic panels on a BMW are not painted.

For the valve cover I would cover it with a Machine Art Moto head protector.
Here's a picture on a 2016 R1200RS
View attachment 91955

A bit off topic but just an FYI about the Machine Art Moto covers - I had a set on my 2018 RT. Great product but... the earlier cover sets came with weaker bolts that would snap after being torqued a few times. It happened to me when the dealer was servicing the bike. They went to torque to the back bolt to spec and the bolt snapped. I contacted Machine Art Moto and they were aware of the problem and sent me a new set of bolts free of charge. The new set is made from stronger metal.

Lee - you might just want to contact them to get a spare set. - Doug

A bit off topic but just an FYI about the Machine Art Moto covers - I had a set on my 2018 RT. Great product but... the earlier cover sets came with weaker bolts that would snap after being torqued a few times. It happened to me when the dealer was servicing the bike. They went to torque to the back bolt to spec and the bolt snapped. I contacted Machine Art Moto and they were aware of the problem and sent me a new set of bolts free of charge. The new set is made from stronger metal.

Lee - you might just want to contact them to get a spare set. - Doug

I never had a problem with the original bolts but I did replace them with the newer bolts. We no longer have that bike.

Back