• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2006 Adventure gas tank size(s)

gutenberg

Hello gang,

I just bought a 2006 R1200GS Adventure. When I picked it up, the gas gauge was down to "one pin" only so I took it to fill it up. It only took 4.7 gallons. I was under the impression that the Adventure models all have 8.7 gallons tanks?

349123181_113043201795700_2933973986742273802_n.jpg

Any thoughts?

That definitely the 8.7 tank, that model still used the infamous fuel strip, so could be a misread. I always just reset odometers and stop around 350 miles on my GSA’s of that series. Your fuel light come on? Or the countdown to empty?

BTW, welcome to the forum :wave

That definitely the 8.7 tank, that model still used the infamous fuel strip, so could be a misread. I always just reset odometers and stop around 350 miles on my GSA’s of that series. Your fuel light come on? Or the countdown to empty?

BTW, welcome to the forum :wave

Thank you!

Yeah, I figured it some sort of a display issue. No visible fuel light to date. I also have a '07 GS where the fuel gauge goes from half to zero in 20 miles or so, so they seem a little sketchy. I think I'll just run it and carry a small gas-can until I can figure it all out. So yes, trip meter will certainly be in use.

Thank you again!

Thank you!

Yeah, I figured it some sort of a display issue. No visible fuel light to date. I also have a '07 GS where the fuel gauge goes from half to zero in 20 miles or so, so they seem a little sketchy. I think I'll just run it and carry a small gas-can until I can figure it all out. So yes, trip meter will certainly be in use.

Thank you again!

I carry a MSR fuel bottle mounted inboard on a pannier side and a hose and folks chuckle because of the GSA capacity… until I hand it to them for their bike :lol I used it on my ‘09 a few times when I overestimated range at high speed and headwind and was almost to next fuel stop :banghead My fuel strip and miles to go were not helpful.

Can't speak to the GSA specifically but on my 09 RT I can get almost an additional gallon into the tank once the nozzle valve shuts automagically (if what I am trying to describe makes any sense).

Last edited:
I really try to not overfill the gas tank on the F800GS. The excess gas that would be caught by the ring looks like it may go to a place that dislikes saturation.
OM

Can't speak to the GSA specifically but on my 09 RT I can get almost an additional gallon into the tank once the nozzle valve shuts automagically (if what I am tryiong to describe makes any sense).

You can get most models “very full” and some have removed the guard piece in some tanks. Ride with a few who do that and early first stop after a fill up the gas has expanded enough to leave a puddle! Still happens after years of ribbing :lol

I used to top bikes off with several clicks but my internal tank needs a stop before the fuel does nowadays

I really try to not overfill the gas tank on the F800GS. The excess gas that would be caught by the ring looks like it may go to a place that dislikes saturation.
OM

You can get most models “very full” and some have removed the guard piece in some tanks. Ride with a few who do that and early first stop after a fill up the gas has expanded enough to leave a puddle! Still happens after years of ribbing :lol

I used to top bikes off with several clicks but my internal tank needs a stop before the fuel does nowadays

Good to know! Looks like I may have to go back to letting the pump decide how full the tank should be.

Back