• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Emergency key chip shortage?

The other day I accidentally manually locked my car (button on the door panel) with my key fob inside. Within 30 seconds the car had unlocked itself - much to my relief. I'm guessing the car has an IDIS - Idiot Driver Identification System.

The other day I accidentally manually locked my car (button on the door panel) with my key fob inside. Within 30 seconds the car had unlocked itself - much to my relief. I'm guessing the car has an IDIS - Idiot Driver Identification System.

My 2021 Ram will not let me lock the truck from the outside with the fob inside. First time I accidentally tried to do it I was thinking, "Great, now what is f'ed up!" Then realized I had left my jacket inside with the fob in the pocket.

Resolved

Just went today to the dealer and got my emergency key today. I guess the chip shortage is over or at least lessening. The key even works, the parts guy said they have had a fifty fifty chance of working without programing, guess I win since it worked right away!!

As of June 1, emergency keys are on backorder from the mothership.
I'm still waiting on mine. After accidentally washing my fob, I found out that the fob doesn't work the same way the emergency key does, so I ordered a new fob and another emergency key.
I think that the GSA emergency key antenna is in a crappy place. Not that it'll ever happen, but I'd order the old style key in a heartbeat if that was an option.

Just went today to the dealer and got my emergency key today. I guess the chip shortage is over or at least lessening. The key even works, the parts guy said they have had a fifty fifty chance of working without programing, guess I win since it worked right away!!

Parts guy knows not of that which he speaks. The emergency key and the fobs are ordered specifically for your vehicle using the VIN number and are pre-programmed by BMW in Germany before they ship to the vehicle owners dealer.

As of June 1, emergency keys are on backorder from the mothership.
I'm still waiting on mine. After accidentally washing my fob, I found out that the fob doesn't work the same way the emergency key does, so I ordered a new fob and another emergency key.

Why did you buy a second emergency key?

Parts guy knows not of that which he speaks. The emergency key and the fobs are ordered specifically for your vehicle using the VIN number and are pre-programmed by BMW in Germany before they ship to the vehicle owners dealer.

No, I don't know about the emergency key, but I would assume it is he same as the FOB. The FOB does not come programed to your bike, buy the metal key is cut for your bike, you still have to marry the FOB to your ride. As long as you have another FOB or emergency key that functions you can do it at home. If you don't have, it is a trip to the dealer.

I bought a spare FOB for my 2016 RT and had to marry it to my bike.

My spare fob and e-key were both ordered by Sandia BMW using my vin to BMW in Germany. When they arrived, they were mailed to me by my dealer after I had sent them photos of my ID, bike info and vin [a second time]. Both tested as soon as they got here, both worked as expected.

Posing another question

Just recently looked at a used 2020 R1250R, took it for a test ride, came back to the shop, locked the forks, decided to unlock them, just kinda testing everything out, then low and behold the fork would not unlock, but one could start the engine. Wondering if anyone had heard or experienced anything like this? Thinking maybe the battery in the fob was weak? Any suggestions would be appreciated..

IMO, there's a very good chance that the battery is old, and "old" for these batteries depend a lot on weather.

Personally, I carry a couple spare FOB batteries on the bike all the time and have a reminder set on my computer for when they need to be swapped out. I swap them yearly. Cheap insurance. The batteries for the FOB's are 2032-coin batteries.

Thank you for the reply, have some doubts about the bike, but maybe that's the reason the forks wouldn't unlock, left the bike at the dealership, think they changed the fob battery, i currently own a 2015 R1200 RT, thinking i"ll go to a 1250 R as they're about 80 lbs lighter, little shorter seat height as well, be easier moving in and outta the garage, as i think my cross country rides are coming to a close, but not my riding days. Thanks again

Back