• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Emergency key chip shortage?

djdixon

I recently bought my 2020 R1250RT from a dealer. It did not come with the emergency key, so I ordered one at the dealer. The order was apparently canceled by BMW. The dealer stated that there is an ongoing emergency key recall for the newer bikes, a there is a chip shortage to make these keys so right now they can't be ordered.

Has anyone heard of this? I did a search on this and other forums, and haven't found anything on this issue. I really don't like not having a backup key. The emergency key from the dealer was listed at ~$85, a replacement fob is listed at ~$390!!

I can't go to another dealer as there is only one in Las Vegas and the next nearest one is in Los Angeles.

I have not heard of there is a chip shortage for keys too. But if the order was canceled at one dealer, there is little point going to another dealer. Dealers simply check your ID, collect your money and submit the order to BMW NA, who encodes/cuts the key and sends it to the dealer ready to go. So, if BMW NA has no keys, there isn't much you can do.

Before going any further I’d be tempted to do a thorough search of the bike, looking for places where the previous owner might have tucked away the spare. Most people hiding a key try to find a spot where it is out of sight but can be accessed with no or minimal tools. Another option is to ask the dealer to make an inquiry to the previous owner, in case that key is still hanging on his keychain or jacket.

Best,
DeVern

Yes, there is a chip shortage for keys. Honda Odyssey buyers are only being given one key fob per vehicle, and a “we owe you” IOU to get one mailed to them sometime in the future.

Maybe they should just go back to regular keys, instead of fobs, cheaper, less hassle etc. I never understood why they went to fobs in the first place, maybe someone can enlighten me?

Maybe they should just go back to regular keys, instead of fobs, cheaper, less hassle etc. I never understood why they went to fobs in the first place, maybe someone can enlighten me?

So that freed from fumbling for keys, one can make a fast getaway from the local Starbucks? :)

The fobs do add convenience and are supposedly more secure than a key, plus fobs enable features like central locking and remote locking in a single device. But yes, fob costs are kinda out of line when you open one up and see how little there is to them.

Best,
DeVern

I have two "keyless" vehicles and don't ever want a "keyed" vehicle again. The convenience of not messing with a key is beyond great.

Chip shortage? I just ordered a replacement key from my dealer. Came direct from Germany in 8 working days. No issues whatsoever.

I have two "keyless" vehicles and don't ever want a "keyed" vehicle again. The convenience of not messing with a key is beyond great.

I had a friend stop by with his keyless BMW motorcycle and when he went to leave it wouldn't do anything. He had to trailer it to the dealer and one month later and $1200 he was back riding.

I don’t think going back to what I consider “pure” motorcycling is possible. Cars have become luxury vehicles (for the most part) and motorcycle manufacturers are trying to emulate what cars have.
Motorcycle buyers seem to want (for the most part) what their cars have.
There is something pretty cool about hopping on the old TW200 and going for a ride where it’s just the bike and myself to enjoy the experience. Probably like the old Airheads.
OM

I had a friend stop by with his keyless BMW motorcycle and when he went to leave it wouldn't do anything. He had to trailer it to the dealer and one month later and $1200 he was back riding.

Crap breaks down. BMW has had a drive shaft issue and people still like shaft drive.

For the one buddy hat had a keyless issue there is a thousand that never had an issue.I know of people that had ignition lock issues too.

Look at the lawsuit that KIA & Hyundai just lost - because they used regular keys, the cars were easier to steal. The courts deemed them negligent in not providing better security that electronic fobs provide.

My spare FOB stays well stashed on the bike, without the battery in it [I do have a spare battery for it]. The spare was expensive for a "key" that I hopefully will never need. However, IMO when I consider what I have invested in the bike, an extra few hundred for a spare FOB is good insurance that's a one-time cost for the life of the bike.

Seeing that vehicles will re-lock if remotely unlocked unless the vehicle is used, things have become a little complicated.
It seems that only having 1 key for anything eventually catches up you.

OM

Seeing that vehicles will re-lock if remotely unlocked unless the vehicle is used, things have become a little complicated.
It seems that only having 1 key for anything eventually catches up you.

OM

Agree. But usually there’s a customizable setting for the owner to turn off the automatic locking feature.

I am not sure of the cause, but it pi$$es me off nonetheless. Both my 2004 Chevrolet Colorado pickup and my 2014 Ford Focus will occasionally lock themselves for no obvious or apparent reason. It is possible that they got unlocked and never opened or entered I suppose but I am not sure.

I have become a zealot in always taking my keys out and putting them in my pocket every single time I get out of the car for even a few minutes. If perchance I am doing some troubleshooting and leave the keys in the vehicle I only do so with the drivers window wide open.

I am not sure of the cause, but it pi$$es me off nonetheless. Both my 2004 Chevrolet Colorado pickup and my 2014 Ford Focus will occasionally lock themselves for no obvious or apparent reason. It is possible that they got unlocked and never opened or entered I suppose but I am not sure.

I have become a zealot in always taking my keys out and putting them in my pocket every single time I get out of the car for even a few minutes. If perchance I am doing some troubleshooting and leave the keys in the vehicle I only do so with the drivers window wide open.

Left pocket, on the small key ring, spare key to house and car- maybe bike.

It ain’t just pushing the pedal down extra far to start anymore. ;)

OM

Back