• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speaking of AM radio reception on your motorcycle-

No worries. I have a .50 cal for that. LOL Damn dirty cars to start with and now they are emitting more crap. I'll have to tune my radio to AM when I am next to one.

EMP pulse transmitter?

And, I l’ll bet you are aware of how the solar panels and controllers would need to be maintained for optimum efficiency.

OM

There was a “old dude” with a tricked out red/white/blue AMX , thinking ‘69, that had a mag ignition that lived a few doors down. He drove my mom crazy during Walter Cronkite time as the TV went nuts from the RFI :rofl

Us boys would woof dinner down, asked to be excused, and go sit out in yard to see and hear it and not mom!

BZZZZY :lol

When I had my XLCH, a neighbor complained that it always interfered with his radio.
I played dumb and told him that a bike's ignition is nowhere near as strong as a car's... ;)

I'd love to have an EMP for all the damm cell phones...

When I had my XLCH, a neighbor complained that it always interfered with his radio.
I played dumb and told him that a bike's ignition is nowhere near as strong as a car's... ;)

I'd love to have an EMP for all the damm cell phones...

YES. cell phones are evil.

The quality of AM radios in automobiles has been declining, partly due to the terrible antennas which are too short but work OK with the VHF based FM broadcasts. Hybrid and fully electric cars do have a higher noise floor, especially in the band where AM is located. The switching noise from semiconductors that drive the motors are very strong there. The noise level falls off by VHF frequencies. Also FM is by nature less sensitive to noise than AM modulation. I always loved AM radio though, the clear channels at night were a real blast in my childhood. I worked for a time in the 90's as a broadcast engineer. It was a fun job but the pay and hours were difficult. Eventually the oligarchs bought up all the stations and it got so bad nearly everyone I knew left the field.

If you happen to be around this evening, 60 Minutes is going to do a segment on Radio Free Europe. I haven’t thought much about RFE in a while. I do remember TV ads of the past when the announcer introduced the song “On Broadway” in a heavy European accent.
Quite a story behind RFE if one is inclined to do a little looking around.
Could be interesting. 7PM Eastern Time.

OM

AM recption on your motorcycle.....

Growing up in the UK, listening to the latest music played by offshore pirate radio stations, and to Radio Luxembourg on the AM was popular when I was a kid.

Radio Lux was one of the tops in the early 70's. And AFR Europe.......until the Russians started playing the USSR National anthem on loop for hours on end!!! I can still hear that ringing in my ears. It seemed like they left Radio Lux alone in the jamming dept. That's why we listened to it.

RFI.....In going to our hangar on base, I had to cross one taxiway and go up the hill next to the tower/base ops. A quick left and down hill to the shop.
About the 4th trip in on my new to me 500 Kawy triple, I was followed in by about 4-3 official type vehicles. After looking the bike over, I finally got them to explain what the hub bub was all about. The electricals in that old Kawasaki were making scopes and radios in the tower go bonkers. They were quite displeased and told me in no uncertian terms that this bike was to be nowhere near the tower and that I should take a careful shortcut across the parking ramp. So much for shielding.......on my bike and their tower equipment!

Electric cars are bad, solar panels are bad, AM radio is critical and cell phones are evil. When do we get to fluoridated water? ;)

This thread delivers. :ha

Seriously, though, I almost never listen to radio anymore. Sorry, but I'm not listening to commercials when I can play podcasts, my music collection or music aggregation services like Apple Music or Spotify in the car, my truck or my bikes.

Radio, like print, is dying and becoming a generational artifact like flip phones or people that don't have a computer. AM radio, which seems to mostly support sports (don't care) or talk radio (I have enough crazy already, thanks) isn't a thing I've listened to since the mid 70s. At that point, we had stereo music on FM, so why would I listen to AM? They tried AM stereo, which seems to have failed, as well, like 35 or 40 years ago.

Add in stuff like me having 64GB of my music on a chip stuck into the head units of my cars and I just about never listen to radio. And I don't think I"m alone in this. Bluetooth connectivity has passed FM radio as the most important thing people want in a new vehicle's sound system. I'd expect that CarPlay and Android Auto are probably moving ahead of that over the last couple years, but I don't have any numbers to support my educated assumption.

AM will also give you an excellent idea of a storms intensity before the storm is close enough for thunder to be heard. No need to find a frequency, just turn it on and listen.

Its hard to explain how uncomfortably jarring it is to go back to radio/television to those that never left it and the endless barrage of advertisements, especially now they seem to be 1/3 or more of the airtime. People are quick to harp on social media or modern day x or y, but fail to realize the pain they've boiled themselves into accepting already. I'll take my music or my news without someone trying to constantly tell me what I want to buy next.

Electric cars are bad, solar panels are bad, AM radio is critical and cell phones are evil. When do we get to fluoridated water? ;)

This thread delivers. :ha

Seriously, though, I almost never listen to radio anymore. Sorry, but I'm not listening to commercials when I can play podcasts, my music collection or music aggregation services like Apple Music or Spotify in the car, my truck or my bikes.

Radio, like print, is dying and becoming a generational artifact like flip phones or people that don't have a computer. AM radio, which seems to mostly support sports (don't care) or talk radio (I have enough crazy already, thanks) isn't a thing I've listened to since the mid 70s. At that point, we had stereo music on FM, so why would I listen to AM? They tried AM stereo, which seems to have failed, as well, like 35 or 40 years ago.

Add in stuff like me having 64GB of my music on a chip stuck into the head units of my cars and I just about never listen to radio. And I don't think I"m alone in this. Bluetooth connectivity has passed FM radio as the most important thing people want in a new vehicle's sound system. I'd expect that CarPlay and Android Auto are probably moving ahead of that over the last couple years, but I don't have any numbers to support my educated assumption.

There is a whole “rest of the country” doncha know……. That is once one clears their “Tesla Wall”.
OM

Its hard to explain how uncomfortably jarring it is to go back to radio/television to those that never left it and the endless barrage of advertisements, especially now they seem to be 1/3 or more of the airtime. People are quick to harp on social media or modern day x or y, but fail to realize the pain they've boiled themselves into accepting already. I'll take my music or my news without someone trying to constantly tell me what I want to buy next.

Exactly. Do I watch broadcast TV live anymore? Never, except for racing and even at that, I usually record it so I can skip the endless commercials. Why would I want to sit through 20 minutes of commercials per hour to see something?

Folks coming up now have always had a DVR. They've always had a smart phone. They've always had texts, YouTube, Spotify and the like. They've always had complete control over when they could watch whatever they wanted to watch. They're not going back to waiting until 8pm on Tuesday to watch some show.

Their consumption model is not like what we grew up with.

@visian probably has some thoughts around this.

Dave,

Just because YOU (generic you) don’t want/have a use for something doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be available to those that DO, whether as standard equipment or an extra cost option.

There are already too many things that are determined by the manufacturers that eliminate choice. Think how many things are only available by buying a “package” of 12 things that you DON’T want only to get the one thing you DO want.

More choice is a good thing in most cases.

:dance:dance:dance

I would imagine that there is a wide range of necessary information being broadcast to the heartland (farm info) that is primarily on AM radio.

:dance:dance:dance

Back