• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rider Academy 2 Day Off-Road, a brief review

LHrider

“You don’t know what you don’t know.”

Last week, I had an experience like that, taking two days of off-road riding instruction at BMW’s Rider Performance Academy in Spartanburg SC. I bought a barely used 1200GS last year and thought I should learn to ride the piglet better than my dirt donk skills allowed me to. Besides, take the class on BMW’s bike and there’s no damage liability. When you take a dirt nap, the instructors simply ask “are you OK? Let’s pick this thing up and carry on.” If you render a machine hors de combat - and one rider did, hitting a tree and damaging a radiator - they simply bring out another bike. If you ball up a second machine, there will be a conversation.

8 people in the class and everyone took multiple dirt naps - my count was 7. 5 of us completed the entire 2 days. Ages ranged from mid 40s to some guy (Ahem!) in his early 70s. Harking back to the List’s recent thread on class length, 2 days was plenty. It was both physically and mentally demanding. We were all whipped at the end, but learned a metric **** ton about riding the beasts. What the bikes can do is amazing, if the rider has acquired the requisite skills and respect for his body. Once again - “you don’t know what you don’t know.” Yeah, training is more than simply a good idea. It can be “the difference between a thrilling ride and a medical event.” QOTD from the lead instructor. Instruction followed a basic pattern; explain, demonstrate, practice - with much coaching. There were 2 seasoned instructors and one apprentice, so 1 on 1 time was abundant. Exercises were followed by an “enduro lap” of the 160 acre training site, each time increasing difficulty and needing to put into practice the lessons just (hopefully) learned.

Each student had a sound riding CV, but we each took away new techniques especially suited to riding 500+ lb adventure bikes. (We were all on R1250GS models.). What stuck with me?
- Like front sight focus with a gun, “eyes up” is one of a rider’s mantras. Twice I deviated from that and augered in relatively gently.
- The course mostly runs in 1st gear at around 10 mph, although one never looks at the instruments. (Exceptions for the braking exercises at 25 mph.) In tight, low speed maneuvering orient your shoulders parallel to the handlebars as they turn. That feels very twisted up at first, but….. it works!
- Balance exercises, aka yoga on a bike, riding range laps standing with your right food on the left peg, left leg waving in the breeze. Wave with either hand. Repeat, mirror imaged. Builds trust in the bike’s inherent design to go straight and your ability to be comfortable keeping mass centered; i.e. with the bike slightly leaned.
- Stomp and sit (With a secondary drop and spin if necessary) to recover the machine when going up a grade that got too steep, you misjudged, or you wimped out.
There was so much more and it was simultaneously a fun and challenging time. Camaraderie was excellent and there was no competition, but nobody wanted to embarrass themselves.

As far as the cool factor goes, BMW built a tallish hill and cobblestone stone trail to demonstrate what the X model cars can do. At the top the trail flattens briefly and turns down a different rocky path. Several of us rode our bikes up the grassy side of the hill and paused to take turns heading down a steeper face. (Note: Off road calibrated ABS is MAGIC!) One of my fellow riders pointed out a woman taking photos of us from her car’s window. “They’re wishing they were as cool as we are.” Truth!

All logistic details - class and lesson times, lunches, bike maintenance - ran like, well, BMWs. Worry free. And customer service? One instructor sprayed off our boots and pants with a car wash nozzle - while we were wearing them - after an excursion through the muddy water of the slosh trough. Yes, you will see all of the terrain captured on YouTube. We had each previewed the class but that in no way detracted from the experience.

Pricey? A little, but the coaching is first rate and you’ll be challenged but never feel like you were thrown in off the deep end. Highly recommended! (And you get a nifty hat.) Part of my cost was covered by a Paul B grant, so get right on that when you enroll.

Back