• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best road to 2023 National Rally from Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi
Just made a round trip to Florida in March and swore I would not take route 95 down through Washington ever again. Well I'm trying to GPS a route and I shake my head. Where's my RANDY. Remember the Randy McNally road atlas. How did we ever do it with detours and construction and everything else. We did ok back in the day.
So my question is, what is the easiest way to get to the rally From Beantown. Want to avoid I95 and the George Washington Bridge. Don't mind an hour or two out of the way.
Thanks
Brian

Hi
Just made a round trip to Florida in March and swore I would not take route 95 down through Washington ever again. Well I'm trying to GPS a route and I shake my head. Where's my RANDY. Remember the Randy McNally road atlas. How did we ever do it with detours and construction and everything else. We did ok back in the day.
So my question is, what is the easiest way to get to the rally From Beantown. Want to avoid I95 and the George Washington Bridge. Don't mind an hour or two out of the way.
Thanks
Brian

Make way over to west side of state.
Ride a road down the Hudson River.
Rt 209 from Kingston through the Delaware Water Gap
Lehighton PA area. Then 895 to 61 across Reading.
The 176 to 10 into Oxford. 472 onto MD 213 across Elkton and down
the Chesapeake Bay crossing at Annapolis.
Ride 2 south until 231 west for 234 into the 301 Potomac River crossing.
About 55 miles further is the rally.
Thank You National Geographic’s Adventure Edition Road Atlas.

If you want to do interstate, go to Ct. take 84 west to Scranton.
Then I-81 south.
You avoid NYC, and all of NJ.

Interstate Route 95......

227-2274759_monopoly-free-parking-monopoly-free-parking-sign.png

:hungover

OM

Just a suggestion

I've always liked rural NJ (Pine Barrens) and the DelMarva Peninsula.

This is a quick Google map to give you a rough idea... I am sure there are many backroads you can take.

Gonna be hot, and I have to be honest, NE PA, MD, WV and Northern VA are also very appealing for higher elevations and twistier roads.

Screen%20Shot%202023-05-13%20at%208.31.53%20AM-X3.png

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. I just went to Florida in March and went the coast route through Virginia Beach. I'm thinking of going I81 this time and am wondering how long it would take.
Thanks
Brian

Living in Charlotte NC with family in Annapolis and NJ have done the I-81 route many times. Here is a route (had to split into 2 attachments with Google Maps Limit on POI's) If it were me I would take some interstate to get west headed for Goshen NY and the Goshen Plaza Diner. From there head south through Island (Black Dirt Region) on Rt.6 into NJ where it turned into Rt 517. Then simply follow 517 all the way to I-80. Run a bit west on 80 to PA and then take 611 South a bit ultimately picking up I-78. There is no easy way through that part of PA so I would just bite the bullet and take I78. Once you hit Rt.15 run south until you hit Rt.340 and run that south. 340 is a great alternative to I-81 and you can take it all the way to about Harrisonburg. There are sections where you can jump onto I-81 if you prefer but 81 while better than I-95 has a lot to truck traffic these days. Stop at BBQ Exchange in Gordonville VA too ! Probably a nice 2 or 3 day ride depending on how many secondary roads you may want to take. PM me with any questions or lodging/food stop suggestions.

https://goo.gl/maps/Sfo2uXW5oe1m7kmPA

https://goo.gl/maps/J178qExmH1XxczCi6

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions. I just went to Florida in March and went the coast route through Virginia Beach. I'm thinking of going I81 this time and am wondering how long it would take.
Thanks
Brian

Are you limited in the amount of time you have? As John suggested there are some great routes in the highlands of PA, MD, WV and VA

Pete

Best road to National from Boston

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.
If I go 95 it will take 9 - 10 hours. If I go another route its going to take 13 or 14 hours. I am ashamed to say I'm Driving not riding so I'm not so worried about trucks on 95 or 81. I plan on making the ride down in a day, just have to leave early. That said I looked on GPS today, Sunday and 8 1/2 hours and no traffic using I95. Wish I was headed down on a Sunday I would just go that way. When I check GPS other days It's longer, about 9 1/2 to 10 hours because of weekday traffic. I will kick it all around for the next week or so then plan out a route. I just don't want to go the whole way to the rally in traffic.
Thanks
Brian

Hi
Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.
If I go 95 it will take 9 - 10 hours. If I go another route its going to take 13 or 14 hours. I am ashamed to say I'm Driving not riding so I'm not so worried about trucks on 95 or 81. I plan on making the ride down in a day, just have to leave early. That said I looked on GPS today, Sunday and 8 1/2 hours and no traffic using I95. Wish I was headed down on a Sunday I would just go that way. When I check GPS other days It's longer, about 9 1/2 to 10 hours because of weekday traffic. I will kick it all around for the next week or so then plan out a route. I just don't want to go the whole way to the rally in traffic.
Thanks
Brian
I ride that route in a car a lot and trust me 81 with trucks is no fun. I’d take my suggested route if in car or on bike. And on 340 you can run 55 to 60 MPH most of the way

Best Road To Rally

Hi
Today I'm thinking i'm going to take 2 days to drive from Boston. Wife is coming and we have the time to take the scenic route down using suggestions on roads you guys gave me. We will drive most of the way Wednesday, and go a few hundred miles to the rally on Thursday. BTW I'm bringing a "50" year old R75/5 on a trailer hitch. I know I know I'm being a coward not riding 2 up on a 50 year old machine through the north east cluster of roads. I'm getting excited and glad I'm taking two days.
Thanks
Brian

Best Road To Rally

Hi
Today I'm thinking i'm going to take 2 days to drive from Boston. Wife is coming and we have the time to take the scenic route down using suggestions on roads you guys gave me. We will drive most of the way Wednesday, and go a few hundred miles to the rally on Thursday. BTW I'm bringing a "50" year old R75/5 on a trailer hitch. I know I know I'm being a coward not riding 2 up on a 50 year old machine through the north east cluster of roads. I'm getting excited and glad I'm taking two days.
Thanks
Brian

Hi
Thanks
Brian

Screw that, right? I have a keychain on my RT that says "If it's not fun, don't do it" and that's my riding mantra.

You don't have to prove a thing about your riding to anyone. If they heckle you, that's a comment on them, not you.

Hi
Thanks
Brian

That is a great idea and I think you will really enjoy the trip. There are some great roads once you get into PA. PM me is you need any additional info as I have done the trip from NJ to VA dozens of times. And don't fret about trailering the senior R75 .... you do what puts a smile on your face. Enjoy!

This may be too high-tech for your preferences but there are a few apps that can give you a different experience or at least point you to some sweet spots.

TomTom GoRide is what I use when I don’t want to do any planning but want more of a thrill - https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/mobile-apps/go-ride/?from=AppAgg.com I’ve been beta-testing it for a few years and it’s still a free app. You indicate how windy and thrilling you want the roads and if you want to avoid dirt roads and I’ve been pretty amazed with what it does for me. Doesn’t give you any must-see POIs like roadside attractions but will take a 2 hour ride and make it 4 and you’ll discover some great roads and stay off highways.

https://roadtrippers.com/ is an app I use for planning. They have a good free website. I plot my A to B points and do a radius (detours) of 50 miles and ask them to point out things to do along my route. I’ve found some very interesting monuments, museums and tourist traps and it’s made a boring stretch into a fun one coming across caves or old historical sites.

These dont’ replace the paper Rand McNally experience but they might lead you down some interesting places.

This may be too high-tech for your preferences but there are a few apps that can give you a different experience or at least point you to some sweet spots.

TomTom GoRide is what I use when I don’t want to do any planning but want more of a thrill - https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/navigation/mobile-apps/go-ride/?from=AppAgg.com I’ve been beta-testing it for a few years and it’s still a free app. You indicate how windy and thrilling you want the roads and if you want to avoid dirt roads and I’ve been pretty amazed with what it does for me. Doesn’t give you any must-see POIs like roadside attractions but will take a 2 hour ride and make it 4 and you’ll discover some great roads and stay off highways.

https://roadtrippers.com/ is an app I use for planning. They have a good free website. I plot my A to B points and do a radius (detours) of 50 miles and ask them to point out things to do along my route. I’ve found some very interesting monuments, museums and tourist traps and it’s made a boring stretch into a fun one coming across caves or old historical sites.

These dont’ replace the paper Rand McNally experience but they might lead you down some interesting places.

Thanks Adam ! Always looking for new tools to help planning and routing.

Take the I90W to I87S, both roads are easy. Then when crossing into the northern end of NJ, cut west on I78 to I81 in Harrisburg. Follow 81 all the way to Front Royal and then take the beautiful back roads of Va to Richmond.
I'll be leaving on Thursday morning, you can always park your car at my house and ride the bike with us down to the rally, probably a 3hr ride. It's about 6hrs +/- from Boston to me in Delaware.
Let me know if you are interested.
Jon

Looks like I have a road plan.

Hi
Looks like I have a plan for a route to the rally. 90W to Albany, 87s, 84w, to 81s to Harrisburg area. Will spent the night in a hotel south of Harrisburg. Thursday we will use one of the routes you suggested and get off the interstate and take scenic back roads to the rally. Countdown 3 weeks till the rally.
See you all there
Brian

Back from rally

Hi
Wow what a rally, wife and I had a great time. Left last Wednesday at 8am and headed to Albany, down 87 to 84 to scranton, passed through Harrisburg and spent the night in a hotel in Chambersburg south of Harrisburg. Got to the hotel at 5pm and took a walk , had dinner and relaxed. Next morning had a quick hotel breakfast and ran into my cousin and his wife, They were staying at the same hotel, small world.

Thursday south on 81 and took 33 to Doswell. Nice road and got us to the rally around 1pm. Set up our simple camp. Chevy Express with homemade bed, fan, plugin cooler, coffee maker, and a light. It was Janice's first rally so it was special. We loved everything about it, music, food, airheads and all the bikes, and all of you.

On Sunday we drove straight to Boston on 95. Got an nice tip that Sunday was a non construction day and fewer trucks so less chance of a parking lot. Left rally at 7am and shot north on 95. Kept seeing warnings that a bridge had collapsed on 95 in Philly and was concerned. Lucky for us we were on the Jersey Pike and missed it and all the traffic. We only stopped once and got home in 10 hours at 5pm. Ugly boring ride but nice road surface and made time.

Thanks for all your suggestions and hope you all had a great time at the rally.
Brian

Glad you had a good trip and great rally! Now you can begin planning your trip to Redmond in 2024!!

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back