• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gas Tank Sending Unit 2002 R1150R

ranger15

My low fuel light is on always, mechanic told me if that happened the sending unit was bad. Is that a tough fix? Any thoughts

My low fuel light is on always, mechanic told me if that happened the sending unit was bad. Is that a tough fix? Any thoughts

It could be something as simple as a stuck float. It’s easy to bent the float arm when removing/re-installing the pump assembly during a fuel filter change. They can be tricky to get aligned so they don’t drag on the inside or outside face of the tank innards. You should also check the electrical connectors coming out of the tank .

Best,
DeVern

There are several things that might cause this IF the pump assembly was removed and reinstalled. The float might be stuck on something: a hose, the filter assembly, etc. Or, if the whole thing was not marked and was installed rotated even one hole off the fuel level light is unlikely to work. If turned one way it probably won't come on and if turned the other way it most likely won't go off.

Just to positively verify that the root cause is the sending unit, just unplug the 4-wire connector at the bottom rear of the tank on the right side. If it goes out, that's it; if it stays on, then +12 volts is finding its way to the lamp somewhere else.

It may be tedious but informative if you pull the tank and also verify the orientation of the big round mounting plate - the fix may be just rotating it to the proper position. (New big O-ring likely necessary if you do this.) And good time to install metal fuel line quick-disconnects if they aren't there already.

Ranger,

First; Welcome to the Forum!:clap

Second, since your 2002 R1150R is an Oilhead, future inquiries about that bike should really be posted in the Oilhead Section. It is a couple lines below the Motorad Section. The Motorad section is for general non-bike specific discussions. In Oilhead Section, you will have the undivided attention of hundreds of long time Oilhead experts.

Tomorrow, I will move this thread to the Oilhead Section and leave a one week redirect here to let everyone know where this thread went.

The answer to your bikes problem is to fill up every time you pass a gas station.:stick

(See what happens when someone (me) that doesn’t know squat about Oilheads answers your questions):boldpurpl

:dance:dance:dance

Don't sweat it, Lee! I've run out a couple of times on my airheads... only because i was so enjoying the ride!

Back