• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Magnet or Strap Tank Bag

norseman9

I'm looking for a tank bag for my 2002 r1150r and probably going to go with Marsee. They have strap and magnet varieties. Does anyone have opinions of either (scratching, gas tank access, etc.)?

Thanks

Both are easy on and off, the strap style keeps it a bit more secure from the snatch and run. If you don't remove the mag bag someone else can very easily. Also at high speeds the non fared bike will let air under the magnetic bag. :uhoh

I have a couple of Marsee bags and they are very well made. :thumb good choice

KEEP A LOT OF WAX ON THE TANK to prevent scratches. :nod

All of the above come from personal experiences :D

On a related previous thread about two weeks ago (+ or-), the writer reccommended straps because the magnets will erase data on your credit cards, and other data storage devices (cameras, PDA's, etc), if you store them in your tank bag.

I have an '02 R1150R and I am going through the same process as you.

On my previous bike, my first tank bag had straps (Nelson-Riggs). Worked great, but would sometimes slide around on the tank while riding; probably could be avoided by tightening the straps. I went thru college on this bike (and many years after) and the bag was usually heavy with books. But, after lots of riding this way, no scratches. I ALWAYS kept my bike very clean (and still do).
After the strap bag wore out I picked up a magnetic (Givi). It worked better, as the magnets REALLY kept it in place, even when stuffed full on long trips. Just keep the tank surface clean, and lift straight up when removing it (don't drag it across the tank). Again, I had no paint scratches and I put the bag on and off every day.

Just my 2 cents.

Lou.

P.S. I always have enough other stuff in the bag, so de-magnetizing of my credit cards never happened.

Go with straps

I too bought a Marsee tank bag a couple of years ago. I also had the big dilemma of whether to go straps or magnetic. After having the straps for a couple of months, I wished that I had gone with the magnetic base - every time you fill the tank, you must unbuckle the straps and move the bag out of the way. Then I watched a guy with a magnetic base. (I'm not sure if everyone has to do it, but this guy did.) In order to get the base tight against the tank, he had to reposition the magnets several times to get them to lay flat and straight. With the straps, I just get the bag close, buckle them and then give them a good yank and the bag is in place. Plus, if you ever decide to switch bikes, the magnetic base may or may not work on other bikes - some are coming with non-metallic tanks or tank covers that are plastic/fiberglass.

prefer magnetic

I currently use both types but prefer (by far)my wunderlich magnetic tankbag for the R1150.It's a quik remove for gassing and the powerful magnets prevent ANY shifting at speed.It does have an accessory loop which would permit the use of a safety strap.

NorseMan9 said:
I'm looking for a tank bag for my 2002 r1150r and probably going to go with Marsee. They have strap and magnet varieties. Does anyone have opinions of either (scratching, gas tank access, etc.)?

Thanks

Marsee, you say? You might want to check out Sierra Trading Post, who is closing out several Marsee products:

http://tinyurl.com/n5nqt

I had a marsee magnetic on my airhead, worked great, the bike was beat up, so i never cared about scratching it

The R1100S is 1. plastic and 2. weirdly shaped

i didn't like any of the strap bags for it and a magnetic bag wouldn't work (even after i tried gluing magnets to the underside of the faring)

i found a great solution here: http://bigmakaccess.com/index.html

the site is a bit crude but the product works very well, doesn't ever touch the paint on your bike, lifts out of the way very quickly and flips up for gas-ups, no need to remove. it looks a little weird, esp on my bike, cause it sits up so high, but for the convenience, i can stand it.

Last edited:
NorseMan9 said:

Thanks

I've had a Marsee magnetic bag for 5 years and ~75K miles. The main reason I chose magnetic is that I have multiple bikes and I wanted to be able to switch the bag between bikes easily.

To protect the paint, I use this stuff called Paintgard which is a clear plastic sheet that sticks to the tank with static cling. Works very well.

Unfortunately, things are really beginning to change in the BMW world. When I recently had a chance to ride 5 different models of new BMWs, I took my tankbag with me. Guess what? They all had plastic tanks!

Lately, I've been trying riding without a tank bag and using a Chase-harper Tail Trunk instead.

Chase_Harper_Aeropac_Tail_Trunk_Bag.jpg

This actually works pretty well, but you do lose the map pocket on the tank bag. So, I've been making do with a GPS.

Before all this, I was using the BMW factory tank bags, and found the zipper-to-base approach pretty good. Who knows, that might work for you, too.

Ian

I have a Marsee on my 02 Roadster. It is the strap variety. In normal day to day use it is fine.

I don't see a big problem with accessing the gas tank. My normal routine is disconnect the bag at the bar and and flip it back on the seat while I fill.

I have the expandable model and am not really fond of that feature. While it gives you tons of extra space it is not structurally sound and tends to tilt to one side. I have used large size fixed capacity tankbags in the past and found I like them better.

I have a black '02 R1150R with a Marsee strap-on tank bag.

After 50,000 miles, I have no scratches caused by the bag or the straps. However, I did add 1/4" dense foam (gift from Marsee) using auto weatherstrip adhesive on the back of the straps, where they would've touched the tank in front of the seat. You can just see the edge of that foam on the left strap. The straps in the front do not touch the paint because of the design of the bag.

When fueling, I disconnect my bag at the rear, slip it sideways to clear the filler opening, and let it hang from the front straps.

I chose my bag based on the size of the map window (must take two folds of a standard map) and a low design just to carry odds and ends and a bottle of water. I do not like big pieces of luggage in front of my chest. I always carry a soft tailcase for the stuff many others stash in their tall tankbags.

Fred

Last edited:
marsee

Fred,
you and I have the same rad.
If I may ask, how tall are you, and what windshield do you have on the bike?
What is the model number or style of your tank bag?
Thank you,
Howard Kapper

Howard,

I am 5'9", 29" inseam, 33" sleeve.

Marsee does not make this 4-year-old model anymore (I think it was called the 10-Liter), and the newer ones have more features. I looked at the Marsee website and the Mighty-Mini looks like the replacement. I like that removable mapcase. Just check the length and width of the map window, and compare to the dimensions of a standard map when you unfold it the way you like it.

I had a neat little Marsee Rocket Pocket which had a larger capacity, but it was tall with a small map window, making folding and sliding in maps a PITA. The new teardop shape might be a way to get the same top dimensions as the Mighty Mini, plus a little bit extra capacity at the bottom/back, but I'd want to try it out on the bike, first, to avoid that BIG BAG feel.

I have two OEM BMW windshields for this Roadster (actually three): the little shield that covers the instrument pod (a blue tint one and a black one) neither of which I ever use (contact me if you want to buy one), and a touring shield that I only mount when it gets cold (November to March). I ride naked the rest of the year.

Fred

Last edited:
I've got a Marsee 11 liter rocket pocket strap-on tank bag on my R1100R and I like it. 2 zippers and it's off so you can lock it in the topcase or carry it with you. If you lock it in the topcase you don't have to worry about what the magnets are doing to the memory of your camera, mp3 player and camcorder. I didn't like having to pop the quick releases to fill up the tank after I had it adjusted just right so I made the modification shown in the picture for easy access to the gas filler cap. Cut the hole, trim it with some nylon strap, sew in some wire to stiffen it back up, and it's perfect. If you're an all weather rider you do have to watch out for scratches. The combination of rain, road grime thrown up by cages and heavy cross winds moving it back and forth caused some scratches from mine because the straps do give and it does move some. I wish the map window fit maps better. The rounded corners look cool but they don't fit rectangular maps that well. But, overall it's a nice handy size. Big enough to keep what I need handy, small enough to stay out of my way.

Attachments

• tank bag.JPG
    tank bag.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 540
I have the Marsee "20L Mr. Pocket" w/mag base. After over a year of riding, the bag it's self is okay but after leaving the base on the bike for long periods of time the magnets in the forward flaps are losing strength.

There is also a lot of space (or slop) between the bag and the base and that causes the bag to ride lop-sided, especially if I have it expanded. I have taken up the play by using velcro between the two so the bag rides square on the base no matter what kind of load I'm carrying.

The magnets have not had any affect on my pda or camera.

Tank bag solution.

darencs said:
I've got a Marsee 11 liter rocket pocket strap-on tank bag on my R1100R and I like it. 2 zippers and it's off so you can lock it in the topcase or carry it with you. If you lock it in the topcase you don't have to worry about what the magnets are doing to the memory of your camera, mp3 player and camcorder. I didn't like having to pop the quick releases to fill up the tank after I had it adjusted just right so I made the modification shown in the picture for easy access to the gas filler cap. Cut the hole, trim it with some nylon strap, sew in some wire to stiffen it back up, and it's perfect. If you're an all weather rider you do have to watch out for scratches. The combination of rain, road grime thrown up by cages and heavy cross winds moving it back and forth caused some scratches from mine because the straps do give and it does move some. I wish the map window fit maps better. The rounded corners look cool but they don't fit rectangular maps that well. But, overall it's a nice handy size. Big enough to keep what I need handy, small enough to stay out of my way.

Wow, this one is cool. may be the right one for me. on my old bike, the tank access was a pain. this looks like a good solution. Thanks all!

Has anyone experienced a magnetic bag "raising" the paint on their tank. I have a 86 R80 and left the bag sitting on the tank for several weeks and when I removed it the paint had raised where the magnets sat. Not enough you can feel it but in the right light you can see the spots where the magnets sat. I tried to polish it out but you can still see the spots.

No mags for me anymore.

I just stopped by the Marsee office (they just moved to Maryville Tn from Ca) while I was at the GMR and bought another base for my strap bag to use on the Duc.

I've never even heard of this, but I suspect that it wasn't caused by the magnetic field but rather by the close contact with the paint. Maybe having the bag-base held tightly against the paint for a while caused the paint to swell a little for for some other reason like trapped humidity or temperature difference.

I've got a Chase Harper 750 Compac with straps (as my tank is aluminum) and have been really happy with it. It's the simplest design I could find and the narrow profile works well on the K75.

Stuff, that is truly bizarre about what the mags may have done to your paint. Sorry, bro!

Have you thought about a Big Mak? It has a mounting plate that bolts to your gas inlet and then nothing else touches the bike. I like mine so much I just got a second one that is smaller for around town use. Just had to buy the bag not the mount.

Back