• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2018 RT Seat Angle

PoorUB

I know this had come up before, but is there any aftermarket, or anyone have any gizmo to raise the front of the seat slightly? To me the seat slopes forward too much, maybe 1/2 inch.

That Wunderlich application can raise and lower the front of the RT seat. However, setting it on the higher position doesn't mean it will stay there. Given time, mileage and vibration it will work its way down to the lower position. I suppose you could Super-Glue the two rubber fittings to the higher position. In my case, I just re-adjusted it often to keep the front higher.

This is what I did...2014 RT

I was tempted to order a set of the bumpers from Wunderlich but I wasn't sure that 10mm was enough of a lift, and I'd heard that they develop "sag" after a while. I looked at the adjusting plate and thought maybe I could cobble something together to test how much of a difference lifting the seat would make.

I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of 1" dowel (the slot on the seat that the bushings fit into can accommodate slightly more than 1" (I think it's metric)) cut it to the length of the plate, removed the stock rubber bushings, turned the plate to the low position and zip-tied the dowel to it.

The seat fits on nicely, locks in properly, and the front is as high as it could go. I find that, for me, the height makes a real comfort difference.

I fully intended to just use the dowel as a test to justify buying the Wunderlich bushings, or making a metal equivalent to the dowel, but I've put over 5,000 miles on the bike using this dowel and I don't see why I should change anything. It works well, seems to be sturdy enough and is easy to get rid of if I change my mind. I haven't measured the height raise, but I think it's more than 10mm.

The only downside is the way people look at you if you remove the seat and they see the dowel there.

side.jpg
Front.jpg

So, it may look crazy, but it's a cheap, simple way to lift the front of the seat - reducing the tilt of the seat and giving you a little more height.

I was tempted to order a set of the bumpers from Wunderlich but I wasn't sure that 10mm was enough of a lift, and I'd heard that they develop "sag" after a while. I looked at the adjusting plate and thought maybe I could cobble something together to test how much of a difference lifting the seat would make.

I went to Home Depot and bought a piece of 1" dowel (the slot on the seat that the bushings fit into can accommodate slightly more than 1" (I think it's metric)) cut it to the length of the plate, removed the stock rubber bushings, turned the plate to the low position and zip-tied the dowel to it.

The seat fits on nicely, locks in properly, and the front is as high as it could go. I find that, for me, the height makes a real comfort difference.

I fully intended to just use the dowel as a test to justify buying the Wunderlich bushings, or making a metal equivalent to the dowel, but I've put over 5,000 miles on the bike using this dowel and I don't see why I should change anything. It works well, seems to be sturdy enough and is easy to get rid of if I change my mind. I haven't measured the height raise, but I think it's more than 10mm.

The only downside is the way people look at you if you remove the seat and they see the dowel there.

View attachment 91795
View attachment 91796

So, it may look crazy, but it's a cheap, simple way to lift the front of the seat - reducing the tilt of the seat and giving you a little more height.

I may have to try this. Yep you looks goofy! I am surprised the one cable tie holds it. I was thinking a couple stainless worm gear hose clamps instead.

Tried it, If you want to readjust them every ~500 miles they are fine, but they want to rotate to the low position.
Could they be glued into the high position? Could be difficult to find a glue that would actually stick and hold the rubber in place. Might try "Shoe Goo"!

Look crazy? Perhaps. Can anyone see it? Nope. The true test is.... does it work? Sure does!

Hats off to you, sir.

The wooden dowel solution looks great. I nominate this idea as a great airhead solution to a wethead problem.

It is good those dowels don’t have Wunderlich printed on them otherwise they’d be about $179 plus shipping and tax.

Great idea bobs_one, if ya need some fire starter just shave it down, and get a new one when ya get to town. How tall are you? Does this give you more comfort in the legs or shoulders? Is this akin to bar backs or more for the knee bend? Also what does it do to the height when you stop at a light, are you on your toes more?

great idea bobs_one, if ya need some fire starter just shave it down, and get a new one when ya get to town.
lol!!

how tall are you?
6'1"

Does this give you more comfort in the legs or shoulders?
It really just tilts the seat. I used to "roll forward" towards the gas tank all the time and this stops that from happening. Much more comfortable on my butt.

Also what does it do to the height when you stop at a light, are you on your toes more?
It keeps me on the back of the seat. Not sure it makes the bike feel any higher - if it does, I've never noticed.

OK gonna have to give it a try! Since it a Beemer I may have to go to a more expensive species, perhaps Black Forest spruce. Imported of course .

That Wunderlich application can raise and lower the front of the RT seat. However, setting it on the higher position doesn't mean it will stay there. Given time, mileage and vibration it will work its way down to the lower position. I suppose you could Super-Glue the two rubber fittings to the higher position. In my case, I just re-adjusted it often to keep the front higher.

I've had mine for several years now. When first installed I had the same experience that it would creep to the low position. Fortunately, in my case some friction has developed over time and it now stays put.

And yes, I like it. I much prefer having the seat level instead of tilted forward.

I welded up a bracket today to replace the OEM seat bracket, tried it and the seat will not latch! Looked it over, tried the eccentric rubbers bumpers wit the stock bracket and they worked, the seat would lock down. Looked everything over again and re-did the bracket I made and again, the seat will not lock down!

It looks like it has the same dimensions of the factory bracket with the eccentric rubbers. Frustrating!

I gave up for the day, locked up the shop, took a shower and poured a good sized glass of Crown Royal.

I am going to take another run at it tomorrow. If I succeed I will post a picture. If not, I will need to buy more Crown!

I welded up a bracket today to replace the OEM seat bracket, tried it and the seat will not latch! Looked it over, tried the eccentric rubbers bumpers wit the stock bracket and they worked, the seat would lock down. Looked everything over again and re-did the bracket I made and again, the seat will not lock down!

It looks like it has the same dimensions of the factory bracket with the eccentric rubbers. Frustrating!

I gave up for the day, locked up the shop, took a shower and poured a good sized glass of Crown Royal.

I am going to take another run at it tomorrow. If I succeed I will post a picture. If not, I will need to buy more Crown!

It may be possible that your bracket is pushing the seat slightly too far back. With my stock bracket and my Sargent seat, I have to really push the seat forward as far as possible, or the seat will not latch. So, try pushing it as far forward as possible. As a test, you could also try latching it without the rubber bumpers to see if that's the issue.

I got it figured out today. It took a few times of tack welding and trying it, but I got it to work. I shot some paint on it and it was tacky when I called it a day, so maybe tomorrow I will get we pic. I am also planning on going for a ride tomorrow so I should be able to test it and see how it feels.

I didn't get to try it out today as planned but here are a couple pics. It is a bit crude, but should work fine. Sitting on the RT the seat is noticeably closer to level.

mount1.jpg

mount2.png

The sorry thing is it took a lot of messing around, trial and error to get it to fit properly and have the seat latch. I probably have eight hours into the silly thing! The next one I could probably whip up one in an hour. If I had an iron worker to shear and bend material it would go faster.

Last edited:
I didn't get to try it out today as planned but here are a couple pics. It is a bit crude, but should work fine. Sitting on the RT the seat is noticeably closer to level.

View attachment 91855

View attachment 91856

The sorry thing is it took a lot of messing around, trial and error to get it to fit properly and have the seat latch. I probably have eight hours into the silly thing! The next one I could probably whip up one in an hour. If I had an iron worker to shear and bend material it would go faster.

I always enjoy seeing people fabricating solutions! :clap

Prototypes always seem to take longer but it’s the results and personal satisfaction that make it all worth it.

OM

Back