• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

160/60-18 tire choices

ksdcr

My 2000 R1100 RS has the somewhat unique rear tire size of, 160/60-18. In the past, I had been very happy with the handling, comfort and mileage, of the Michelin Pilot Road. Over the years, there were several iterations, PR 1, PR2, PR 3 etc. Well, after the last version, my 160/60-18 size evaporated.

I’m currently using the AVON ADV 65, which is also called the Storm. They are “OK”, but not as good as the Michelin’s.

So, I’m looking for an alternative rear, 160/60-8 tire that I can match to the front 120/70-17, that offers good handling, mileage, and if possible a comfortable, quiet ride.

Would like to hear of your experiences with an other brands. I think the RT has the same size as well.

Last edited:
I ride an 1100RT with the same 160/60-18 tire size.

I have been running the Pirelli Angel GT on the rear of my RT. I do a lot of miles, and have gone through at least six Angel GT tires. Bike has over 250k miles.

The Angel GT has excellent grip, no noises that I have noticed, and wears evenly. I think the wear for miles is very good. EVERY RIDER gets different results, due to roads travelled, and riding style. My mileage on the Pirelli rear is great for my experience. Better than the Michlein PR3, the last Pilot Road in that size. I tried the Angel GT on the front and found the wear to be very fast so I have been using Dunlop RS IV or Michelin PR4 GT.

Thanks Michael, my RS only has 95K, so I’ve used less tires. Ate one point, I tried the Pirelli, but had similar experience with the front. I also like to match front and back.

I've had a very good experience with an Avon Spirit ST rear in that size. I put about 5500 miles on it on my R850R and it still looks very good, maybe just a touch square but barely noticeable. It's on the back of my R1100RT now since I swapped wheels between the two bikes. Great traction on all road surfaces it's touched, including pouring rain and cold down in the 30's F.

I've had a very good experience with an Avon Spirit ST rear in that size. I put about 5500 miles on it on my R850R and it still looks very good, maybe just a touch square but barely noticeable. It's on the back of my R1100RT now since I swapped wheels between the two bikes. Great traction on all road surfaces it's touched, including pouring rain and cold down in the 30's F.

+1 for the Avon Spirit ST, I think they are a great tire

Funny that. When I had my dealer order the Avon. Storm, IIRC, he said that the Sprint and Storm are similar, but recommended the Storm. So far it’s been OK, but I think I’ll try the Sprint next time.

Back