• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Eisenhower Tunnel in COLO warning

bikerfish1100

for those looking at coming thru CO on I-70 (yeah, i know, the back roads are better.. but let's assume that some are more time restricted than that. poor devils)- here's a recent memo sent out by Colorado Beemers..
Good advice from the Colorado Beemers for those who may travel through Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 on a motorcycle:

"One wouldn't think that the major interstate highway across Colorado would make the top of the list of hazardous roadways. CDOT has temporary orange markers at the Frisco on ramp and east of the tunnel saying "hazardous roadway next 9 miles". For good reason. The road is spauling and eroding throughout the stretch. The most hazardous for motorbikes, however, is at the entrance to the tunnel, in both directions. PLEASE NOTE: WHEN ENTERING THE TUNNEL ON YOUR BIKE, BE SURE TO USE THE LEFT LANE! There is heavy rutting and deterioration in the right lane most of the way through the tunnel. Transitioning from bright sun to the dark tunnel doesn't allow you to see it. No information was found as to when they plan to make repairs, but they normally work on it each summer...giving rise to another hazard! Please be careful."

I think I remember this road

On the way to Beemerville last summer, I took I-70 and if I remember correctly, the road leading into the tunnel is banked quite highly. We were stopped for road construction on a steaply banked curve and I was balancing my heavily loaded GS while eyeing the massive construction vehicle next to me. I thought to myself, "When traffic starts to move, if I fall over that vehicle will run me over and there won't even be enough of me left to scape up and send home." It was at that moment that I decided to buy a sidecar rig. I am now the proud owner of my first sidecar outfit, an R90/6 with California Sidecar.

I guess you could say the road made quite an impression on me. I'm just glad I didn't make an impression on it!! (ha ha)

NurseRick said:
On the way to Beemerville last summer, I took I-70 and if I remember correctly, the road leading into the tunnel is banked quite highly. We were stopped for road construction on a steaply banked curve and I was balancing my heavily loaded GS while eyeing the massive construction vehicle next to me. I thought to myself, "When traffic starts to move, if I fall over that vehicle will run me over and there won't even be enough of me left to scape up and send home." It was at that moment that I decided to buy a sidecar rig. I am now the proud owner of my first sidecar outfit, an R90/6 with California Sidecar.

I guess you could say the road made quite an impression on me. I'm just glad I didn't make an impression on it!! (ha ha)

you could have just worked on your leg presses :D

bikerfish1100 said:
for those looking at coming thru CO on I-70 (yeah, i know, the back roads are better.. but let's assume that some are more time restricted than that. poor devils)- here's a recent memo sent out by Colorado Beemers..
Good advice from the Colorado Beemers for those who may travel through Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 on a motorcycle:

"One wouldn't think that the major interstate highway across Colorado would make the top of the list of hazardous roadways. CDOT has temporary orange markers at the Frisco on ramp and east of the tunnel saying "hazardous roadway next 9 miles". For good reason. The road is spauling and eroding throughout the stretch. The most hazardous for motorbikes, however, is at the entrance to the tunnel, in both directions. PLEASE NOTE: WHEN ENTERING THE TUNNEL ON YOUR BIKE, BE SURE TO USE THE LEFT LANE! There is heavy rutting and deterioration in the right lane most of the way through the tunnel. Transitioning from bright sun to the dark tunnel doesn't allow you to see it. No information was found as to when they plan to make repairs, but they normally work on it each summer...giving rise to another hazard! Please be careful."

Update.... rode through the tunnel today in both directions for some business in Denver... they finished repaving the right lane going east bound... they are prepping the right lane on west bound lanes... i would expect the other lanes to be done by next week... there is still bad transistion right at the tunnel entrance on east bound.. but they wear jack hammering it up on the right east bound lane today... the pavement going west bound up to the tunnel is fine... the west side of the tunnel is bad like always... lot or patch work and heavy settling from the heavy truck traffic at slow speeds... dont know if they are going to resurface it this summer... but i would say so from how bad it is... it is worse than roads in Russia in places.. :laugh

the worst thing is the cage traffic swevring in and out of lanes up both ways and the slow butt driver in the left lane...

my personal opion the middle lane heading east bound west side is best...

Back