• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hitting the Apex

Liaison
Staff member
I managed to catch this on cable. Pretty cool dive into MotoGP and came out in 2015. It's about six of some of the fastest motorcycle riders of the time including Casey Stoner and ending with Marc Marquez. There might be a full length movie somewhere....here's the trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vITnXwBYMZo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I had heard about the death of Marco Simoncelli...quite a tragic accident.

Excellent Moto Documentary

Hitting The Apex is a very entertaining documentary! The full feature runs 2 hours 18 minutes and features some great photography, mind blowing action, and insightful interviews with the riders. Agreed -- highly recommended!

Agreed. If you liked Hitting the Apex you should also check out Faster and Fastest. They are a little older, but age well.

I always enjoyed watching both motorcycle and car Grand Prix races when they were on TV or cable.

But nothing beats the closeness and tight racing of motorcycle GP. And the risks involved, they should be earning far more than an F1 driver. And by the way, only one racer crossed over from winning both motorcycle and car Grand Prix titles, but only from a motorcycle to a car and never the other way around.

I am no expert, but I think most of the riding for the past few decades came from the riding styles of Kenny Roberts, Eddie Lawson, Freddie Spencer, Wayne Rainey and Randy Mamola to name a few. Back then you'd see Randy leaned over with the rear tire spinning and laying down a patch of rubber as he is sliding it through a turn.

Hats off to all of these guys for a skill level that is paramount!

The rider who brought two wheel drifting to MotoGP was Australian Gary McCoy. His ability to slide a bike under power was phenomenal, and he did it on both the 500cc 2 stroke and MotoGP 4 stroke. Gary won 3 races for Yamaha in 2000 on the Yamaha YZR500. He was called the “Slide King”. He went on to win one race in World SuperBike. His riding style also resulted in many high sides and broken bones which caused him to retire from racing earlier than he wished.

Back