• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BRP Trip Photos - Spring Break

DougGrosjean

Hi all,

From the Spring Break trip in mid-April with my 11 y/o son, Jean-Luc.

Taken with mostly 50 y/o cameras..... medium-format Rolleiflex and a 35mm swing-lens panoramic Widelux. The shots taken by Jean-Luc were with a modern cheapie digital.

My own website is down with some server issues at the moment, or I'd post it there. When it comes up, I'll post the whole trip there.

Photos:
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/DougGrosjean/Spring Break 2006/?sc=6&start=all

Best,
Doug Grosjean

Nice, nice, nice! Really enjoyed the photo tour, especially some of the B&W, and the vertical panoramics. Great job, Doug.

Day06-JL-06b.jpg

It's pretty easy to link the photo directly to your post, Doug. Just copy the bottom box under the photo with the IMG label and paste it in the text where you'd like the image to appear.

Doug's a tree-hugger... and a great friend and photographer. Doug - I may still have an old bottle of spot-tone you can borrow for your b/w shots....

Thanks for posting!

Ian

Day07e-15000090.jpg

Visian said:
Doug's a tree-hugger... and a great friend and photographer. Doug - I may still have an old bottle of spot-tone you can borrow for your b/w shots....

SPOT-TONE! Rolleiflexes, Wideluxes. . . . OMG, flashback! Sherman, set the wayback machine. . . . (I worked in camera stores for many years.)

Doug,

Haven't seen your name on the board in a L O N G time. Glad to see you back. Great shots. I love that shot of your boy, and I agree with Bubba, cool riding suit.

Keep those reports coming. :bikes

Dan & Tina: Thanks!

Dave:
I've gotta write that down somewhere. I don't post enough to forums to memorize the HTML. Thanks!

BubbaZanetti:
The suit is an old BMW City II suit, bought from Holt BMW-Ducati down in Athens OH about 10 years ago. I quit wearing it when I got a Stich, then my g/f wore it (and tried dying it blue), but decided that access for bodily functions was a pain, and then suddenly Jean-Luc was big enough to use it. - And glad you liked the pics!

Ian:
Thanks for the compliment(s). I was clowning, and Jean-Luc said "Dad! Just hold still...!" But it does illustrate how BIG those trees are. I'd guess 4-5 of me could actually get our arms around it. Spot-Tone? I don't know what that is - I'm a new convert to B/W. It's become my workhorse film, mostly for shots around home, mostly because it's cheap and easy to process - and it makes me work at composition. Vaca, mostly I use color.

Tom Moran:
Well, I have a bike that was mostly designed in the 1960's, so using cameras from the 1950's doesn't seem like much of a stretch. Digitals have driven the price of really cool film cameras down so much that I can afford several now. If any one croaks, or is damaged by being on the bike, I have a spare at home. Except the Widelux. Those don't seem to ever come down in price, and it would break my heart to lose or damage it. But it was meant to be used, so I do. Hoping before this August's trip to FL to build a pano that does 360 degrees if need be, on 120 film. If it turns out nicely, I'll build a flintlock after that.

I'd love to do the same trips on an HP2 and using all hi-res digital, but it's not in the cards. Probably in 20 years, I can afford an HP2 and today's digitals... ;);) Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the ride on stuff I can afford rather than envy what I cannot. Lotta life left in many of the toys other people are selling off.

Oh - regarding looooooong time since I posted - I've had some projects and busy work around the house. Finished writing a book and expecting the second galley / proof in the mail this week, did my first 1k day, re-entered photography with a vengeance (learning b/w processing and MF), been enjoying fatherhood, learned to ride a unicycle with g/f and Jean-Luc, and have even just about finished up the blow head-gasket on my Concours. That last project is just about the worst of all of 'em... but the Uni was the most difficult.

Doug

DougGrosjean said:
.... learned to ride a unicycle with g/f and Jean-Luc....

Just a clarification - we each ride our own, not all 3 of us on one.

;)

The folks I rather admire are doing mountain-bike stuff on Unis. That's a bit out there, and I'll probably find I'm not capable, but that's what I want to do. Can't afford a trials bike and a trailer, nor do I have room to store them, but a Uni could be strapped to the back of the GS. :):)

Doug

DougGrosjean said:
Just a clarification - we each ride our own, not all 3 of us on one.

;)

The folks I rather admire are doing mountain-bike stuff on Unis. That's a bit out there, and I'll probably find I'm not capable, but that's what I want to do.Doug

I thought I'd seen everything when, on a recent tour, I happened upon this fellow taking his family out for a day of riding unicycles on Slick Rock in Utah. Mom was on a mountain bike, but Dad and 2 or 3 kids were all on these contraptions. Looked like a lot of work to me, but their abs probably look better than mine. Hell, I don't even know where mine are.

64501353-M.jpg

Back