• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Headlights: Read the Fine Print

pglaves

I went to install a new H4 headlight bulb in my K75 today. I had two bulbs on the shelf. Both were Sylvania bulbs: one titled "Basic" and one titled "Silverstar". On the package back the Silverstar said Rated Life 140 hours. The Basic bulb package said Rated Life 1110 hours. A quick look on Amazon had the Basic bulb between $8 and $10 and the Silverstar between $17 and $22.

So with my typical riding the Silverstar might last about 6,000 miles and the Basic might last about 50,000 miles. Somewhere in between Sylvania offers a bulb called "Xtravision" and then they also sell the Silverstar Ultra. I don't know the rated life of either of these bulbs.

So read the fine print and decide which bulb is right for you. Since I almost never ride at night anymore I am happy with the Basic bulb. If I were doing 24 hour endurance rallies or otherwise rode a lot at night I might go for the Silverstar or Ultra.

Something else to consider. If one adds supplemental LED lighting to increase daytime visibility or for better night lighting a halogen headlight bulb looks like a kerosene lantern next to the bright white LEDs. For $20 to $50 an upgrade to an LED H4/9003 light emitter renders halogen bulbs to yesteryear.

Something else to consider. If one adds supplemental LED lighting to increase daytime visibility or for better night lighting a halogen headlight bulb looks like a kerosene lantern next to the bright white LEDs. For $20 to $50 an upgrade to an LED H4/9003 light emitter renders halogen bulbs to yesteryear.

Has anybody found an H4/9003 LED that actually functions well on both high and low beam??:scratch

I run the Ultra….and high beam (daytime). I don’t care about a few extra dollars. I want all the visibility I can get.

OM

Life

The hotter the filament glows, the brighter, depending on the gas in the bulb the whiter. Short life versus bright? A good experiment for someone to test light output and light color.

Before I switched to a LED replacement bulb (a long story and not one I want to start here), I used the brightest whitest Sylvania bulb I could find, in all honesty, I don't remember which one. What ever it was the life span was short.

I don't ride at night anymore so I am not too concerned about LED beam pattern but I do like how bright and White the one I am using now is. The more light the better I am not so worried about blinding drivers in the daylight. St.

Has anybody found an H4/9003 LED that actually functions well on both high and low beam??:scratch

On both of my K75S bikes I replaced the H4 bulb with an H4 LED with a flexible heat sink. A similar example from the 'zon is shown. I also use a pair of LED aux lights attached to the front forks. I do not do much nighttime riding, but there is a difference when the Hi-Lo switch is pressed. This was adequate to pass the NC vehicle inspection. Since NC no longer requires vehicle inspections for vehicles over 30 years old, neither K75S requires further inspections. The K75S with LED head light and aux LED lights is very visible to oncoming traffic without being blinding.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LA5UNT6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VL4H78W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

716u2OZwV2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg51SXPvTfqVS._AC_.jpg

Heck on my K1200GT (and my friends) the regular H7 bulbs failed like clockwork around 7-8,000 miles. IIRC they lasted maybe 10K on my R1200GS. OTOH a friend has a 2005 VStrom 650 with 125,000 miles and it still has the original H4 headlight bulbs.

The Beam Angel sits on my left shoulder and looks out for me by looking all around. Whereas the Beam Devil sits on my right shoulder and looks behind me for flashing blue lights! :)

Didn't Rodney V and the Rascals do a song named Beam Angel? I think I remember that.:whistle

The two "V"s: Voltage and Vibration.

Right you are.

I was somewhere south and my headlight bulb went out on my 2019 G310GS.

Not a new issue, I think mainly due to vibration.

I think I went into, I think, an Advance Auto and bought a bulb for $15.00 bucks or so.

The lady behind the counter said I could get a (I think) a lifetime warranty for an additional couple bucks.

Shook my head and said "you bet" knowing it was going to happen again.

This may have been the trip where the 310 took a nap on the way home, now I have a 2022 310 with LED.

Vibration in little bumps and big bumps on my street and dirt bikes has been the suspect on bulb failures fore and aft.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Back